Organic control for corn blight?

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, I am relatively new to Daves Garden and planted my first vegetable garden this fall. Tis the season in South Florida. I planted a raised bed of "Bandit" sweet corn September 26. It looks to me like I have leaf blight. Do I need to do anything, or can I let it grow without treatment. Does anyone have any suggestion for organic control? I have done one spray last week with Insecticidal soap, thinking I had an insect pest.

The corn is interplanted with Kentucky Wonder pole green beans. I planted the beans when the corn was about 6 inches high. The beans are starting to outgrow the corn.

Attached is a picture of a damaged corn leaf taken last week.

Thumbnail by KathySEFL
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

You have spotted cucumber beetles eating your corn and maybe diamondback moth larva too. Look down inside the corn, the cucumber beetles are green with black spots. Pyrethrin will kill the cucumber beetles on contact, but gives no lasting effects. I wish I knew something that would work. I go out in the morning and evenings and squish them.
Bt will take care of any caterpillars.

Your pole beans are going to over run your corn. Sweet corn isn't strong enough to hold up KY wonder pole beans. Field corn is best for planting with pole beans.

thanks so much for your response. I'll look closer at that corn. The beans have been growing wonderfully. Live and learn. I won't plant those two together again.

Thanks for the tips controlling my pests!

The cucumber beetle larva eat the roots of the corn and sometimes make the corn fall over. They're also called southern corn root worms. The adult beetles are driving me nuts. I am going to buy beneficial nematodes and treat the soil again to try and get rid of them.

The spotted cucumber beetle likes all kinds of plants. I've found them on my tomatoes, swiss chard(they love this), beans, peppers, tomatillos........just about everything, even my beans.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, Susie - from sunny Florida!!!!

Hi Kay, I never know where you're going to be!

I've been on GW since 1997 and DG since its inception.

That wasn't what I meant. I see you're back in Florida!

Oh - LOL - when you get older, everything has a literal meaning! Yes, after Gary (my DH) died of pancreas cancer in 2007, I sold the big house and moved to Lee's Summit. On Sept. 3, 2008, I moved to Panama City Beach, Florida to be near my grandbabies. I LOVE it! Almost all my plants are in the ground now - I even have Plumeria trees in the ground.

Turns out whatever the original problem was, all the corn left has root mealy bugs. The corn developed only a few kernals, no ears and was very stunted. Is there anything special I should/can do with the bed as I clean it out to be replanted?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.