Wilfred's Hibiscus cuttings tutorial

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

Wilfred d-mailed me step by step instructions on how to root hib cuttings. Quite a few people have ask me to forward it to them. I do not know how to forward things so I have to do each one separately. So I decided to put it on a tread so everyone will know his secret. Wilfred I hope you do not mind.

This will take a while to finish this thread so bear with me.

Tina

Here we go:

First you pick the plant that you would like to propagate by cutting to make exact copies of it, they usually call the plant the stock plant since it the plant is were all the other clone came from, some people call it the mother plant.
Look for a nice branch you can make a cutting from to begin with.

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat

Than cut all the leaves above from were your going to take the cutting from.

Remember to cut leaves off, not rip ,miet damage the branch you want to that the cutting from, it should look something like this

Now make your cut just below the leaf you cut off earlier, I usually cut right in the middle between the leaf that staid and the last one I cut off, you can than make a second cut to correct the angle of your cutting's end.

This is what it should look like after you made the second cutting a the correct angle were you made your cut, should be 1/4" from the last leaf nod going upward at 45* degree angle, also clean of the leaf stubs from were you cut the leaves from, usually the last three. when you do this make sure you don't damage the stem, just cut them off with the scissors.

Now get your pot and root-tone ready, I use a 5" pot with potting mix, seems to work the best, bigger than that its stays to wet and smaller than that dries to fast. now wet your potting mix thoroughly and evenly.

This is the type of rooting powder I use for my cutting, but you can use what ever is available in your area.

Now dip your cutting in the rooting powder just to were the cutting is going to be planted

Notice that when you pull out the cutting out of the rooting powder it has to much on it.

Just tap the cutting to get to excess off it, should look like the photo. to much powder on the cutting will do the opposite and not let it root.

Now you would thing you stick the cutting right into the potting mix didn't you. wrong.

Now you get a paint brush or pencil as thick as the cutting itself and make a hole in the potting mix as deep as your going to stick the cutting, don't go all the way to the bottom of the pot, just a little below the middle of it, this way you don't take the rooting powder of the cutting when you plant it.

Photo of hole being made in potting mix for cutting.

Now you can plant the cutting in the hole made for it.

Gently tap the potting mix around the cutting just enough to firm it in place. don't over do it or the potting mix will be to hard for cutting to produce roots in it.

Remember to tag it so you know won't forget which one is it. never count on memory, sooner or later you'll forget which one it is especially if you do more than one cutting of different types of hibs.

Water it one more time lightly, just to accommodate the soil around it so to make contact with the cutting, after that you only water it lightly if soil gets a little to dry, soil should be moist but not wet after the last watering at time of planting it, remember, moist more to the drier side than soaking wet.

Now place it with the few other cutting you've made in a bright area, only very very early direct sunlight may hit them in the morning, later than that can cause the to dry out before they set roots, you'll know in a month or so if cutting are rooting, After that new growth should start to grow on them.. don't take out of pot until you notice roots coming out the bottom holes of the pot.

Well that's it for cutting, my way that is. Hope this has helped you Tina.

Your Friend Wilfred

That is how he does it.

Tina

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for posting Tina!! Thanks Wilfred!!

Your welcome

Tina

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

that was awesome, thanks to tina & wilfred!

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

Thank you.
I take cuttings of almost al my plants this way. But I put them away in a plastic tunnel on a heatmat. Temperatures are to low here and humidity is also to low. I have to watch out for fungus so I give them fresh air regularly.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Now I'm going to try rooting hibs. I did not know they could be rooted by cuttings. Learning daily more and more. Thanks to all for the lessons. Mary

Citra, FL

thank you so much for taking the time to post this and the pictures. This was wonderful! I have a few hibiscus that are just so beautiful, I can't wait to try this.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am soaking my seeds tonight and then tomorrow they go on top of the Direct TV monitor. I hope this works. I soaked one set in just plain water and the other set in peroxide /water. I will let you know. Good luck everyone.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Please do, I'm anxious to hear how the one in peroxide & water work out!

Edited to say: The tutorial from Wilfred would be great added to a sticky on top of the threads. Actually a couple more informational threads would be great up there too. Would keep us from having to go over it each time. Info like starting seeds, trimming back, pests, etc. would all be great.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 8:44 AM

Vieques, PR

Hib cuttings are so easy to take without hurting the plant, and such small pieces are needed, that I often "gang" them. That is, I follow montserrat's and Wilfred's method, but I usually put several treated cuttings into each pot. By doing this, I produce pots of plants that do very well, especially when I'm putting them into the ground to create a hedge effect --they get bushy more quickly. In the alternative, within the first month after rooting, the multiple plants can be separated out easily --just use a serrated knife and cut them apart. Saves pots and space.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2009 11:59 AM

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Just to remind every one who is interested in this practice, this Friday the 6th starts the quarter moon phase until Tuesday the 10th to plant cutting to root them more successfully according to the elders who used to do this for a living, only thing I can say it has work for me quite well up to now, doesn't hurt to try it. there are two day that I think are the best days of the five, Friday Because its a Friday, anything planted on a Friday tend to root better and Monday because its the exact day that the moon is exactly one quarter.
BTW, the elders use the moon phases to plant seeds, just can't remember what phase they used for this, as soon as I find out will let you know.

Wilfred

Just to show some cuttings done on moon phase two months ago.

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is one that has a bud on it already.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wilfred, thanks so much for that information. I have seen it mentioned several times on various threads but did not know what it was. I still have cutting to do on various plants so I will wait until Friday. You are just a wonderful gardener to share all your knowledge. That is why you are so knowledgeable, because God is blessing you for your kindness. I can only grow Hardy here in Las Vegas. I may try a Tropical in a pot., If I do so, which one would you suggest. I have a very protected courtyard. It does get morning sun. Have a wonderful day.

here is an interesting article on Gardening by moon phases

http://www.kaykeys.net/spirit/earthspirituality/moon/moonseed.html

Here is a site that has the moon phase calender. You can plan ahead with this one

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml

Tina

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you from the moon gods in Nevada.,,,

skwinter

Your welcome.

Tina

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Most excellent information and pictures. It was very understandable and easy to follow along.

Jon

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

This is great information!

If there is no objection, I'm going to copy/paste the instructions from this thread into a single, MS Word document that I can print and add to my greenhouse binder (I keep it to consolidate all of my plant/GH info in one spot). I find it easier to work off a printed list of instructions than taking my laptop outside, LOL.

If okay, and anyone else would like me to send them the document, I'm happy to do so.

~~ Jennifer

Jennifer

I have no problem with you copying it. I did the same thing and added it to my gardening binder.

Take Care
Tina

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Jennifer...I would love to have the printable instructions. I, too, would rather refer to my notebook. And my DH would much rather I leave my laptop inside!
Thanks....

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

For those who'd like it, please dmail me your email addy and I'll send it tonight.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Wilfred, for the correct date. I thought it started the 9th & I stand corrected. Do believe that this method does make a difference & tried it during the last faze. Can't wait for Friday to get here. Have one question. If you are mailing cuttings do you still wait for Fri to cut them? Guess what I really want to know is if it is okay to cut then & plant later?

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.