Sweatshirt projects

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Since we've started this subject on another thread, I thought I'd start one so it was easier to find, and besides, I've got a few ????s. The only time I've ever worked with sweatshirts is 1) a baby's zip front hooded sweatshirt that I ironed on a big bee to the back and hand embroidered 'Busy Bee' on it. 2) I made my mom a Christmas sweatshirt that used an iron on poinsettia, puff paint and glitter (never again!).
I bought 2 sweatshirts yesterday, and decided to do something with them so Hubby wouldn't claim them from the laundry as his.. thought maybe I'd do applique or something, don't want to cut it up or make it into a jacket, just decorate it. Maybe fall leaves, hearts, cats, etc. I noticed on a sweatshirt that Mom brought me from Branson, that it has something that looks like interfacing behind the logo, is this what you all are calling 'stabilizer'?
Do I wash the shirts before appliqueing?I bought some nice ones, that usually don't shrink too much. I'm not into machine embroidery yet, other than stitching around a cut out, so sounds like I would be either hand embroidery, along with applique or something similar..
Or is there a good reference book out there that includes the basics like 'Appliqueing Sweatshirts for Dummies'? LOL

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!