Ideas about selling antiques and silver

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My husband died about six weeks ago, and I'm trying to sell the antique furniture that has been in his family for generations. I have a sofa, a table, a secretary desk, a small chair, antique silver flatware and other silver pieces. Most everything is American Empire period. I don't have the slightest idea about how to go about selling them. They won't bring enough because of condition issues to use an estate sale auction house (I understand they charge 30-35% of the proceeds), and the only other advice I've had is to sell them on Craig's list. The problem is I don't know how to price things. I've already sent some jewelry to a top jeweler on the east coast who is taking the pieces on consignment. But what about everything else?

I need to move from our current place quickly, and need to sell these things. Any advice is very welcome.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!