Bittersweet Vine for 2010 - friend or foe? Anyone!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, I have had bittesweet for nearly 10 years. Its a lovely vine and can be crafty too.

This is the first year though that I have had berries! (YAY!) Well I say that non chalantally of course becasue that there vine is horribly invasive! It can be tamed...yup, with Roundup and cutting and mowing, but it needs a large area to ramble! and for berries, you need TWO!

So hows yours hanging? Have you "trained" it? What do you do with yours?

Show us the divine vine please!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Craft chat...what you can do with this berry nice vine!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037086/

Lebanon, OR

what do you want to traDE FOR? I love it and would love to get some for the holidays

D

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Irisloverdee -

D-mail me your trade list...

I might have a few of these plants growing around!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Do you have the native or the asian? I received seeds in trade several years back and finally got blooms this year so I googled for more info and found that the asian variety is a nightmare so I enquire about it some more. Asian var. blooms in axis of leaves...natives bloom on tips. Unfortunately it was so hectic around here this year w/ DD and two grandkids in the house that I failed to note where blooms were located on mine and will not sell them until or if they bloom on the tips next year. "Nuff problems around here with kudzu w/o adding asain bittersweet to the mix.

Peggy

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I got mine from a nursery... dint say what it was, but it spreads. Its not really all that difficult to control, but can get out of hand.

I dont know if you can tell from my pics above what it is... but they said you needed 2 of them to get berries. Well it took it forever to get berries. Ten years.

I never did catch it in bloom...yano, too big of a gardenhere, some years I miss things going on!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I believe the husk of the seed is suppose to be red/orange on the inside on the native.

Nursery should be more responsible in what they sale and make sure they're not sending the asian variety out into our gardens to get out of control and bully out our natives.

Don't get me on my soapbox...I haven't had enough coffee*G*

P

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sooooap box, oooh dat reminds me....loofas!

Here ya go... (____)?

But anyway, yeah, I dont know what exactly mine is...It does spread mainly by the roots though. Roundup will get it if it gets goofy. But it will kill all under it too.

Heres a closer look.. pardon the blurr.. I have not had my milk of amnesia to steady me hands! (Dang camera anyways!)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

"(__)?" Slurp!...Aaaaahhhh! Maybe the brain will work now...LOL

Picture's too blurry...or maybe it's my eyes that are blurry.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Da husks on da berries iz all yeller....!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Da berries is orange!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

let me google again and see if I can find that webpage I got my info from earlier in the year.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

not the same link I googled earlier but pretty much same info and it ain't lookin good for you or your bittersweet.
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/groundcovervines1/a/bittersweet.htm

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Bout as asian as them dang ol lady bugs is it?!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

but it sounds like the arrangement of berries along the vine is much better than american just being at the tip,for crafting.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awwwww who cares.. just keep the roundup handy case it gets unruly.

Does not seem mine is gonna spread much from berries anyway... took so long to get them to have any.

It pulls pretty easy if it is planted in wood chips and fluffy soil...its a surface runner of sorts.

The vine is pretty either way... but like ya say, if it gets its hooks in a place it likes.. your in for the duration.

(Gaillardias??....whatchoo talking about Willis?) Oh BTW, I started ya a thread for your primulas, aquilegas is already going with too much and I ferget the other one you mentioned! )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.