Emma's Acapulco Blooms

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Emma's Acapulco bloomed today at work, I am lucky enough to have a window looking out onto English fields.

Acapulco its definitely a wild form of ipomoea nil, I believe Emma collected seed from it in Acapulco, Mexico.

The blooms look nice but they only lasted a few hours, it is certainly the most hardy and vigorous ipomoea nil; I think in the right climate it could do quite well and seems a unique species.

When it was growing it looked like an indica but it is a nil; I hope I can keep it going like an indica and that it will survive, so far all looks well.

Thumbnail by Rareseedman

Here is another photo

Thumbnail by Rareseedman

You can see the sepals here

Thumbnail by Rareseedman

Here is another bloom on the same plant but it looks a different shade of blue

Thumbnail by Rareseedman
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Mine bloomed late in October, it didn`t make seeds and then it died. I tried to tell everyone it was a i nil but they disagreed with me. That`s ok though.

Don't get me wrong it is nice, and a unique species...as soon as buds form and it blooms you can tell it is 100% an ipomoea nil..in it's vegetative state it looks like ipomoea indica.

It's seems to bloom on the morning - by 10am the blooms are gone and that is in a cool office.

You can clearly tell that it is a nil, the seeds are big and look like a nil, quick to germinate and a very strong robust plant.

The shame is the late flowering hopefully it can provide me with a bit of winter cheer where I work.

It also appears that ipomoea nil (wild) species from different parts of the world have different flowering times, hardiness and growth patterns. My ipomoea nil (ex Nepal) looks and behaves like a very hardy indica..but it has not as of yet bloomed..

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Not the true I. indica or a perennial vine?

Acapulco is a wild ipomoea nil.

When it is growing (before blooms or buds form) it looks and behaves like an ipomoea nil both in leaf shape and pubescence. I thought I had it mixed up with my ipomoea indica.

I don't know if Acapulco will act as a perennial or not and die once it will finish blooming.

The blooms are quite small and what I would call "a tease" they open at about 8.30 to 9am and are dead by 11am but perhaps that is the way I am growing it.

You can actually watch the blooms open which is quite freaky...I have never seen that before and watch them curl up..

I can't really rate this one on a scale of 1 to 10 but since it blooms at work heck I can't complain can I ?

You can tell it is a wild species and there is something about it.

I am glad I have grown it because I am lead to believe now that some of these species like ipomoea tricolor are sensitive to the reduction in the light (short day plants) I say that because when ipomoea tricolor starts blooming like nuts here in the UK you just know autumn is on it's way.

I am lucky this one and ipomoea tricolor (in my porch) are bringing me a bit of cheer, the only downside is when I get up it is dark and when I come home it is dark and the blooms are closed..

Then when I take them out the porch into our lounge to keep them warm we end up with spiders and caterpillars (eeeek) the cats soon get them though...

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for your take on the vine, RSM! Interesting species.

(Zone 7a)

Nice to see this fascinating thread revisited and interesting that you folks agree with Ron's first hypothetical ID of this beautiful vine -

Ron never got all the answers he was looking for, for a final ID, but it's interesting that his first hypothetical ID was I. nil -

Quoted:

"Hi Emma - My impression of the sepals is that they most closely resemble Ipomoea nil and that is what I think this plant is...an interesting wild type...with clusters that most closely resemble the peculiar one from offered by JJ...the sepal bases don't look wide enough to me to be Ipomoea indica and the sepals aren't hairy enough or splayed outward and downward enough to be Ipomoea hederacea...

Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea hederacea are annuals...I.Indica would develop perennial roots...
also,try crossing the pollen with some of the other I.nil and I.hederacea that you have and see what it crosses with...the ability of it to easily cross with others of the same species should be a very good 'second opinion' from the plants...

I'd still like to see what the developing seedpods display...

Cool looking plant..."
from - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2906461

This thread was especially interesting to me for the processes of ID - there was so much to learn from those. Thanks to all for their input.

Karen
(cross posted with thread #2 - see above link)

szarvas, Hungary

Yucatan, not so far from Acapulco !

http://www.backyardnature.net/yucatan/nil.htm

(Zone 7a)

Dany, Conrad's writing is like poetry - "...blue fire etched in crystal..." is about as good as language can get when it comes to expressing the beauty of a blue Ipomoea nil flower. Thank you for posting that link.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.