Botany of Desire on Tonight on PBS

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

At least on the east coast. Here's more:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/DDRN1A8NRC.DTL

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Loved It!!!! I didnt know genetically altered crops were done away with. Or that cannibus was such an intense hobby. I hope they show it again, I started watching it late.

BTW, I was looking for some place to mention it, glad you posted this. i just love good documentaries. What did you think?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I haven't seen it yet. Will start watching in 15 minutes.

Water Mill, NY

Very enjoyable show. I'd just read an article about hard cider making a comeback.

They haven't done away with genetically engineered crops; just the BT Russet Burbank potato because a largescale boycott of McDonald's French fries was brewing. McDonald's backed away from the BT potato. But there are plenty of other genetically engineered crops out there. McDonald's just happened to be a very identifiable worldwide target for boycott. Plenty of genetically engineered corn is finding its way into all kinds of products that are less easily identifiable, since corn is used in so many ways (oil, syrup, cornsilk, animal feed),

It was interesting to find that some insects are becoming resistant to crops which have had BT genetically introduced as opposed to crops that had BT sprayed on them. Seems the constant exposure to BT has hastened resistance, while intermittent application of BT only resulted in a small number of insects developing resistance.

I had no idea apples originated in Khazakstan!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I thought it was pretty good! I enjoyed the book. I had to do something in the middle so I will watch the rerun when it comes onl
Martha

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

More:

http://www.pbs.org/thebotanyofdesire/

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Yes. I think I will get the book. They say he has a good narrative style that is not captured on film.

Very interesting about Micky D's. It seems the ge crops backfired and made the problem worse. The genetically enginered corn is the basis for the documentary "King Corn" another good info and enjoyable short film.

It comes on again here on Friday. I will be tapeing it.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

I came across this by chance last night and watched most of it. I would also recommend reading the book also.
Nick

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Watched half of it, very interesting....hope it comes on again.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, there was tons of information. I think I might have to read it, as well.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Pixie,
check out the PBS website. They let you type in your zip code and call up the schedule for your local stations. We get two stations here WGBH 2 and 44 and a New Hampshire PBS station on 11 on comcast. But they will tell you about the program schedule for your area on the website.
Martha

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you Martha!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.