October Daily Weather Tricks & Treats Part 4

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

A new thread for a new(ish) week! Everyone is welcome to join in the chat!

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049017/

78.3 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 73 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 900 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Thumbnail by MySharona
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The thermometer on my porch says it's 50 degrees. It's been raining and overcast for the last couple days.

Our leaves are turning quickly.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

5 different jobs going, but none very big.
Trying to rain again today.
Set up pop up tents so block layer can work.

(Zone 7a)

35.9 °F with 38º for the high. 40% chance of more snow.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 33 °F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph
Pressure: 29.80 in (Steady)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

We've 2 offers on Darrell's mom's house. One of them was $20,000 below asking price. The other was $10,000 below. The good news is people are looking.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sort of chilly - will get hot again later in the week

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on October 28, 2009
54 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 23 °F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.88 in (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy: the best thing you can do with people like that is to refuse to let them upset you--usually they will leave you alone once they learn they can't "push your buttons".
Sharon: is Prissy scratching her back or just relaxing? Cute pumpkins!
Cajun: lovely fall colors.
Bernie: 5 small jobs is certainly better than no jobs at all, huh?
Celia: good luck on selling Darrell's mom's house! As you said, at least people are looking. Your "echie" looks cold!
Kelli: 54 is chilly for you!

We had a lovely afternoon here with sunshine. Rain will be moving back in tonight. :o((

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's our progress on the house today. Pop ups were set up because of a mist.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's one of the projects. It's laying on it's front. A set of "lockers" made from Rustic Alder. They are going in a lady's entry porch to hold coats & boots.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We also finished up our "barn" for the baby chicks that are coming tomorrow.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Sharon I absolutely Love those pumpkins!! I've always thought about picking some up but never have.

Marilyn she has never been like that toward me before, but she has befriended Ms. Cheerful so I know that's what the problem is. I just told her that me and Dave are doing just fine. I almost said that hers and the other girls divorces are making my marriage stronger but decided to bite my lip on that one. lol I just don't understand what is wrong with these people??? I would never tell someone something so negative, same goes with the other girl's dream and her car wreck that killed me. Good Grief!

Well our weather is pretty much going to stink tomorrow. I'm getting one day ahead cause I may not be on tomorrow, taking Friday off so need to get as caught up as I can at work.

"Torrential rain from southeastern Texas to the mid-Mississippi Valley will result in life-threatening flash flooding Thursday into Friday. There will also be the risk of thunderstorms that bring damaging wind gusts, hail and isolated tornadoes.

Spotty showers and thunderstorms will rumble over southeastern Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana through Wednesday night. Then a solid band of heavy rain will drench the rain-weary area from southeastern Texas to the mid-Mississippi Valley Thursday into Friday. This includes Houston, Little Rock, St. Louis and Paducah, Ky.

The thunderstorms embedded within this band of rain may be locally severe, but the highest threat will be flash flooding as 3-5 inches of rain falls in 24-36 hours. Motorists should be prepared to slow down while going through the downpours on interstates 10, 20, 30 and 40, to name a few. Do not try to drive through flooded roadways. Officials may be forced to close portions of roads and highways.

Homeowners along creeks and streams and in low-lying areas should also be alert for rapidly rising water. Soil across the area is also already saturated from heavy rains so far this month. Ongoing flooding along larger rivers will worsen, even after the rain comes to an end later Friday or Friday night.

The drenching rain and thunderstorms will be followed by a period of welcome dry weather over the weekend that will last into at least early next week."

Trying to do the blue box quote but I can't remember...

This message was edited Oct 28, 2009 6:35 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Overcast and nice but breezy. Tomorrow rain all day.....again.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy's quoted weather report says it all and "rain weary" is certainly an understatement!!! I just took my furbaby outside for his final "run" of the evening. The skies were still clear--no clouds or rain yet--plenty of stars. Guess the rain will move in later tonight. sigh

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Anyone here in Wisconsin getting the snow?????

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie it looks like you're getting a good start on the blocking.
Nice wood to be using for lockers....

It was in the low 60's and quite nice here today.
Occasional sun and calm... how calm...

Thumbnail by henryr10
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're not rain-weary yet!! After this dry dry dry summer, all of the rain we have been getting recently has been a blessing. They've already set up a flash flood watch for tonight and tomorrow morning, so obviously they are expected a lot of water to come through with this system. By the time it leaves here on Friday, we may indeed be rain-weary, even here.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:20pm CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 77 °F 25 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 29.71 in 1006 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 29 15 kts
G 25
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling 6000 ft 1829 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 °F 28 °C Temp | 24 Max | 24 Min | Dew Point | Pressure | Feels Like
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks Lightning detector not working.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C

Through 1 am, scattered showers will continue to develop and move north across the region. Accumulations will be from 1/10 to 1/4 of an inch.

Rest of tonight Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Warmer. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph.

Thursday Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some thunderstorms may be severe with heavy rainfall. Highs around 80. South winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the morning increasing to 70 percent in the afternoon.

Thursday night Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Cooler. Lows in the upper 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have a new weather deal going here. All radar reports showing rain here. Not a drop! Hope this keeps up. We need dry!
Tried digging potatoes this morning & almost got stuck in the mud before we got to the tater patch.
Hopefully by this weekend the floor joists will be done & we can start the walls. By this time next week we should be doing the roof.

Bernie

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I’m living vicariously through your cooler temps!

Cajun – Nice pic of the leaves changing colors. Ours go from green to yellow to brown, some stay green year round.
Celia – Keeping my fingers crossed for the house to sell!
Mau – Prissy is scratching her back! I bought those pumpkins at Walmart last year. They were $1 each!
Bernie – You’ve been busy!
Mau & Crissy – More rain??? Send it over here!
Ric – That’s a cute little cottage!
Marylyn – We’re not rain weary either…please more rain!!

71.1 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EDT this morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High85. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As last night, It pretty windy and my security light flicking on and off so I just turn it off for now cause I know some small creatures running back and foward on my back of the deck... I think it make me very spooky on the security light flicking! lol...
Today, it raining! Also windy, too!

Got my seeds growing inside it's Basil...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Sharon that Cottage is actually bigger than our House
(because of the bump out and dormered roof in back).
This is basically what our place would look like w/o the porch, plants and side room.
These houses were built in the 30's by the CCC.
600-700 square foot 1st floor.
Sunny here and going for 70 degrees.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL Ric--that's calm!--all the leaves are still on that very steep roof!
Marylyn--glad you all are getting some much-needed rain. We are getting some much un-needed rain! I think it's time for those of us in my neck of the woods to start building an ark!
Sharon: I hope our rain will move your way soon!
Rusty: good job on the basil seeds!

Our forecast can be described in 3 words---"glub, glub, glub" (I guess that was one word used 3x--LOL)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chinook is on it's way, YEAH! Temperatures will climb during the night to +7ºC or 45ºF for a early morning temp tomorrow. If the Chinook does indeed form during the night, our high temps will be 11ºC or 52ºF and warmer for the weekend. Nice for the trick or treatrrrrrrs

High Forecast +2ºC or 36ºF
Condition: sunny
Current Temp: -5ºC or 22ºF
Wind: SSW 11 km/h or 7 mph
Windchill: -7ºC or 19ºF
Relative Humidity: 89%
Pressure: 101.8 kPa or 30.05" falling
Dewpoint: -4.9ºC or 23.2ºF
Ceiling: unlimited
Visibility: 24 km or 15 miles; fog dissipating

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12º
Longitude: -114.04º

Sunrise: 8:24AM
Sunset: 6:14PM
Daylight Hours: 9 hrs 50 min

Had a skiff of snow

This message was edited Oct 29, 2009 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 3b)

Today~the Chinook winds are here, too, joannab.
Partly cloudy. Highs in the 30s.
Northeast wind increasing to 15 to 30 mph with local gusts to 50 mph.
Sunrise: 9:19
Sunset: 6:00
Loss of 5m39seconds
Belated "Happy Birthday", Bernie. Your projects are non-stop; hope you had a relaxing birthday.
Thanks for the new thread, MySharona. Prissy is a real cutie.
marsue~you're so right about family.
Rusty~we love Basil, too.
pepper~glad to know that your eye is better.
good morning to all. 8am, dark and time for more coffee.
Yesterday's sunrise

Thumbnail by kiska

Rusty my dad lives in Jasper Co, MO, on Route 66 about 1/2 mile from the Kansas state line and Galina.

Joanna what is "Chinook?" lol I feel like a nerd asking...

The tornado threat is diminishing Yay!! It started pouring at my house at 5am, woke me and Dave both up and he sleeps through everything, that's some hard hard rain.

Going to Hobby Lobby in North Little Rock here in a minute for lunch :) Love Shopping!

64.8 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 64 °F
Wind: 1.3 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 29.77 in (Steady)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Overcast 300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is basically a very warm wind. We can go from -20ºC or 4ºF to +20ºC or 68ºF in matter of a few hours. The Chinooks are short lived, but sometimes they last a few days. They usually form late in the day. The 1st year that I have moved to this area, I was shocked that we went from flow blown cold winter conditions to a high of 22ºC or 72ºF on February 20th. It was weird. A lot of people suffer from headaches with chinooks and also, you can imagine how hard it is on the plant material. We can have a few days of sunny high temps and then it drops drastically in minutes.

This link has a nice diagram and also some nice pictures of what the Chinook cloud formation looks like - AKA Chinook Arch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

(Zone 7a)

Learn something new every day!!! Thanks, Joanna.

33.8 °F with 41º for the high. The last of our fence is going up this morning.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 30 °F
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 15.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

A Park City cemetary.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Oh, Ok! That's like our fronts, we can drop or gain 30 degrees in an hour. At the beginning of the week I went into walmart and it was 70*F, was in maybe 30 minutes and came back out, the front came over and it was 50*F and windy. Crazy!

Cool pic Celia!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Chimooks raise the temp & fronts in central us drop the temp.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and then there are those Alberta Clippers, right CountryGardens?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I didn't realize you used that term, skiff of snow, up there.
(Most people around here say a dusting of snow.)
I thought it was much more an Appalachian saying.
That's the way my Grandmother said it.... of a morning we had a skiff of snow.
That's certainly what it is though! LOL!

We're having another Indian Summer day.... 63° now and going for 70°.
It's RAINING leaves!

Ric

This message was edited Oct 29, 2009 2:02 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Clippers are wonderful!

What are clippers? You can tell I've never lived in the North, just central CA and central AR for 2 1/2 years now.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Now, the L.A. Clippers (basketball team) - not so wonderful. ;-) (Crissy, I don't know what Alberta Clippers are, either, and I lived in PA for 22 years. Must be a midwest thing.)

We have some Santa Ana winds. Though Chinooks and Santa Anas are different in origin, I wonder if their occurance is at all connected.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on October 29, 2009
65 °F
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 11 °F
Wind: 13 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

If I had a new picture, I'd add one.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's a fast moving cold front that comes out of the Canadian prairies. It is moving SE & in winter usually has light snow & strong winds. They create whiteout conditions & wind & snow drift roads shut. Lots of fun.
Whiteout is snow being blown by wind so you can't see over a few feet.

Oh sounds like a good day to stay home when one of those are forecast. Well I regret to say I'm in a tornado watch until 9pm. Not Happy about this situation...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy may very well be hiding in the basement of the building where she works because we are having a severe thunderstorm as I write this. Also, there was a tornado about 3:40 p.m. south of here about 60 plus miles. One of our fellow DGers lives in the area where the tornado touched down. We haven't heard from her and are concerned. It is pouring down rain--so hard that if anyone is on the road they surely couldn't see--it would be wise to pull over until things let up. Too bad this is taking place just when everyone is getting off work. :o(( This is supposed to continue for the next few hours.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

---still having extremely heavy rain with thunder and lightning--flood warnings with reports of water across many roads in several counties; tornado warnings in the southern parts of the state, too. I understand that northern Louisiana is experiencing the same thing. :o((

LOL Mau there is no basement/shelter in the building where I work, it's the oldest building in Downtown Little Rock.
I'm worried about Genna in Camden, they've been hit twice and now getting ready for a 3rd time. The whole southern part of the state was lit up a few minutes ago and one of those warnings is coming directly at my house, all I can do is sit here with a tight chest from anxiety and pray for everyone's safety. Parts of Camden are also out of power, as Clarksville and a few other areas. I hope you're all ok out there!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just heard on the Weather Channel that Hwy 319 west of Apple Hill, which is about 10 miles northwest of my house, is flooded. Also, that some evacuations were taking place in Cabot. It must be in some of the lower areas of town because nothing like that is taking place in the area where I live. I do live on top of a small hill so although we are definitely waterlogged no water is coming into my house and no evacuations taking place in my immediate area. The Weather Channel is concentrating their current reporting on the Shreveport, LA area which has been hit extremely hard by all this rainfall. However, they just spoke a few minutes ago with the state's Emergency Management Agency about the situation in our state. It doesn't look good because we are still under the gun and this probably won't go away for several hours. :o((

I'm concerned about Genna, too, Crissy. Sure hope she and her family are okay!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You all hang tuff!
I've been watching the coverage and it's a whale of a storm!
You two are definitely getting trained and there much more to come.
We'll be getting the remnants in about 12 hours or less.....

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.