I need to know

Katherine, Australia

Hi everyone i just need to know is it to hot for Hydrangeas to grow in the Northern territory?

Tall order ...but if you can supply plenty of shade and water. Growing them in a pot may be ok, they need lots to drink.

Katherine, Australia

Thanks Chrissy, i didn't think that they would grow well here but my new boss (who has only been in the country for 5 months) reckons she knows everything bout gardening! Mind you she is a kiwi. NZ and AUS are 2 totally different places!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I would try to put it in the coolest spot you have, as in shade, breezes e.t.c. I'm not sure how it will take the humidity in summer, but they do like a drop of water, so you'll have to water it regularly in the dry season.
I'm a kiwi too, but never paid any attention to gardening in NZ when i was there, but i know most of the plants we grew were cool climate plants, and i was in auckland, which kiwis refer to as Sub Tropical. HA! not even close!
Good luck with your hydrangeas, but I would be tempted to go for gingers and heliconias if I lived where you live!
Sue

Oh boy is your boss in for a shock ...Darwin in summer after NZ yikes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.