Nerine, etc.

Worcester, MA

Can some one tell me how to care for this plant? It's a baby.

Also I have a large amaryllis that has a nother fairly large bulb gorwing from it. I don't hink the latter is bloom size yet so I'd like to seperate them in hopes the larger will bloom. How do I seperate them? Is ther any danger of disease when I do so?
thanks

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Do you have the nerine in the garden or in a pot? I have just planted some and they need to be quite shallow with the neck slightly protruding from the soil. They like full sun. As for the amaryllis you should be able to tease the smaller bulb from the parent and pot it up on its own.

Worcester, MA

The nerine is in a pot but i think it's too big. the leaves are wilting. Do they like to be root bound? Thanks for answering.

I'll work on the amyryllis. When i do seperate the bulbs should I reppot the smaller one?

Care taken when selecting a suitable spot in the garden will be repaid by rapid establishment and early flowering. Choose a sunny, well-drained spot such as the base of a south-facing wall. Nerines thrive in hot summers but struggle in cold, wet winters.

I found this in an article on on of our newspapers "Opinion is divided about planting depth; some say that you need 6cm (2in) of soil above the bulb to protect from frost damage, others prefer the bulbs to half-emerge from the soil. A clump in my garden has flourished and multiplied for more than 20 years almost at the soil surface. Once planted, try not to disturb them — they like to grow in a dense clump. Don't worry if the flowering is poor in the first year after planting, just be patient.

Bulbs should be planted in autumn or early winter, spaced 7-10cm apart. Give them a good mulch to protect from frost in the first year until they are fully established. In the wild, nerines grow in very poor soil. Plants grown in richer soil grow bigger with more leaves, but at the expense of flowers. A well-drained coarse, sandy soil, low in nitrogen, is recommended for a maximum number of iridescent blooms."

Yes to your amaryllis question - when you have separated the bulbs pot up the smaller bulb in a pot just big enough for it ie not too big.

Good luck!

Worcester, MA

Thanks much!

london, United Kingdom

My first time on this site.Here is a few pictures of Amaryllis and Nerine.
Amaryllis belladonna taken at Tresco Abbey on the Isles of Scilly.

Thumbnail by rbtkew
london, United Kingdom

An unamed Nerine...

Thumbnail by rbtkew
london, United Kingdom

N.alata at Kew Gardens...

Thumbnail by rbtkew
london, United Kingdom

N.Undulata from the rock garden at Kew.

P.S I have just noticed I have put alata instead of alta,and to confuse matters further N. alta is often sold as N. undulata Sorry!

Thumbnail by rbtkew

They are gorgeous planted in large numbers like that - what we can only aspire to!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.