ZZ's Babiez: (Seramas)

Ferndale, WA

Time goes by just to fast. I think about seven weeks ago ZZ's sent me her four serama hens, and two roos. I housed them together to the first six weeks or so and Dot though the smaller of the Roos just would not allow the other roo (Booker the Looker) any time at all with or around the hens. I seperated the two roos and divided the girls so each one had two hens each. Well within days after that both roos and the hens seemed contented and all four hens started laying eggs on the same day. I could not believe it. In a perior of five days with four hens I had twenty eggs. I incubated seven and sold three to a customer to incubate. Today is day nine in the inc and my granddaughter and I candled the eggs tonight and it looks like at least six out of seven and maybe all seven are fertil and well developed. I was told that they did not do well incubating them so with no real experience I decided to try any way and it looks very promising at this point. I just can't get over how they laid so many eggs and I was told they were lousy layers. Tonight I went out late and checked for more eggs and two of the hens are setting on four more eggs and I was told they would not set. Murphy is setting and she looks so totally proud of herself. ZZ's would be so proud of these boyz and girlz so I will be posting some pic's very soon.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by Haystack
Richmond, TX

What do you hear from ZZ?

Lodi, United States

ZZ is traveling the country--she has been from CA to Ohio and back to CA in the last few weeks!

Hey, Hay! My Serama pullets are big time layers as well--and for the past 3 weeks they have been joint brooding a clutch of 14 eggs--all infertile since they are separated from the roos.. I have 10 roos left, having sold 3 Saturday.

I hadn't heard that they were poor layers...just that it was hard to artificially hatch the eggs, expecially if they are shipped. They seem to be tough little birds.

Ferndale, WA

It is unreal Catscan!!! I just googled Seramas and all the info stated they were basically lousy layers. I'm getting four eggs every day now for the last about ten days. I now have two eggs cartons full with ten in the incubator. Plus I sold some. If all my hens laid like this i'd play heck keeping up with them. I really do hope they will either stop or at least slow down very soon. Even with small birds, enough is enough. LOL I have missed you Catsy. Haystack.

Lodi, United States

I don't know about that, Hay--but I just got snookered on craigslist. I had almost 14 Serama roos and had to thin them--so I listed them on craigslist for $15 each, $20 for a pair--which I know is ridiculously under-priced, but I was desperate.

A young couple came Saturday and bought 2 plus took a freebie Nankin/Japanese Bantam cross. Another fellow who is picking two up tomorrow said this couple just contacted him saying they had 3 Serama roosters which they would sell him for $85! So they bought mine to re-sell and are trying to pass off my little mongrel as a pure bred Serama....

So take good care of those Seramas...I have people stalking me on line trying to woo me into selling them my discards.....

And I miss you too--Hay!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 10:56 PM

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

OMG Haystack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so thrilled.. this is the best thing I have heard... I just can't find the words to tell you how exciting this is for me! I've been homesick and a little down... this was just what the doctor ordered! A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

This truckin biz is not easy on the heart.. LOL I am in Massachusetts at a truck stop right now. I still haven't gotten a chance to get an air card so I can get online more often. All is okay.. I just miss everything.. LOL

This was so great to read Haystack!

You go Catsy! An underground Serama biz!! Cody says the lil orange roo is crowing at the house.. AND daughter of Biff is gonna be a mommy!

OH HOW I MISS DG

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Hay, are any of the Modern Games laying yet? I have a few at the house that Cody is taking care of and they are still not laying.. seems to take them longer?

I still can't get over so many eggs... that is just too funny! You are the Serama King! If they weren't happy, they wouldn't lay that good.

Richmond, TX

ZZ! Good to hear from you, we've missed you.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Porkpal! How are you doin? Got any chicken pics to post? I am getting my chicken fix here tonight. :)

Did we get divine socks yet? :)

Richmond, TX

No divine socks! The sulk is wearing me out.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

:( *sniff, sniff* I was talking to ZZ on FB & she got kicked off. She needs an air card! I miss ZZ.

Hay - Do you think i could keep Serama's alive here? :)

Lodi, United States

The Great Sulk need not continue, porkpal--Yea, verily--the demi-divine socks are completed--I believe there were four sock-worthy sulkers:

Wren
Porkpal
MissJestr
Dalianut

grownut was also worthy--but as she refuses to wear socks--some alternative reward is being concocted.

However the above must contact me with an address to which I may send their reward--they need not send me their REAL address, of course--a deeply disliked neighbor or in-law will suffice.

Now there is the "small" matter of Moxon's hideous and humiliating hat--which she has. Has anyone else noticed that she is suddenly AWOL--and no, she can't blame it on Law School or censorship. It is pure millinery cowardice!

Richmond, TX

She must be unearthed; the hat deserves to adorn a worthy fiber fanatic.

Demi-divine? Does that mean we each get one sock?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What did I do? Haystack is gonna have a COW! I hijacked his thread!! I'm glad he can't find me!

Oh to find dear Moxon... And Greykyttyn, I'm sorry about the connection issues! I hope to get that fixed soon!

Yes, I need an air card to continue this harassment.. I am guilty of stirring the pot and I'm proud of it!

I do think there is such a thing as trucker socks yes??

Haystack.. pics please!! Dot and Murphy's baby is driving me nutz!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I found CMoxon! She was on FB last night! MissJestr convinced me to start a sulk there for socks... on a thread started by CMoxon.

ZZ - trucker socks are heavy fisherman's wool. I have 3 pairs of dads. They are the perfect length to go in rubber boots so that your feet stay warm while you are attempting to slosh around in the muddy snow hooking up the trailers (or breaking ice for the animals & feeding chickens)

Richmond, TX

Oh no, Face Book is robbing us of our people; it must be one of those evil farm games again!

ZZ you can't hijack this thread, it has your name in the title.

Ferndale, WA

Yeah doggone it!! Porkpal is right, it is sorta hard to hijack your own thread. But then on the other hand, I dunno she could be spanked, NO That could get me in trouble. Yeah I think we will just let her know we love hearing from her no matter whose thread. Hay P.S. Dot and Murph's baby are due to hatch on the fifth or sixth of November. Stay tuned for pic's. I'm so excited about them.

Brookville, PA(Zone 5a)

Yup facebook is quilty..thats where i found ZZ the other nite..talked to her quite awhile..hehe..i really like facebook..sorry Hay!!
greykyttn and Cmoxon, would love to add you both on facebook..get hold of me!!
cindy
sorry again Hay!!

Ferndale, WA

OH Cindy: Have I lost my dear Cindy also to facebook? Steal my threads, throw me in to the briar patch, anything I don't care but please don't suck me into facebook. SHSSh I already have a facebook page. LOL

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

YOU DO! Where are you hay? U never added me :(

Kent, WA

I have to admit that i have been on facebook more so lately than DG.
Haystack I am so glad to hear you have serama's now. I am loving mine. They are just starting to lay eggs. I so hope to have little ones too. Polka (roo) has the cutest crow and he thinks he is so tough!

Ferndale, WA

Hi Karbear: I have four hens and two roos, The smallest of the roos is Dot, they were formerly ZZ's. She went back to school and will be relocating. She sent them to me and Dot is barely over a half a pound, but he has a twenty pound attitude. I love watching them crow as they rear back and this little screetch comes out of them. They are so funny, these little girls are laying machines. I had ten in the inc and I candled all of them last night and only one was not fertile. I removed it and so one the sixth I am hopping to have nine healthy babiez come bursting out. These are my first seramas so I still have a lot to learn about them. I have thirty more serama eggs that will go in the inc tomorrow along with four banties and six new marans eggs. The Marans are blackcoppers.

Bridgewater, ME

Hay have you got your feed boxes built yet?I still wating for pictures

Ferndale, WA

Sorry Green! I have been so busy with the hatching of these seramas, and selling chickens and eggs. I have it about 1/3 done and hope to get back on it very soon. I have never been this busy selling chickens this time of the year. Usually people don't want to winter them. I have no idea whats going on but hatching eggs and selling new layers has been crazy this last half of Oct and up til now. My chickens are laying like crazy right now so eggs sales have been excellent. I have probably around fifteen new layers that just started laying in the last few days. So I'm getting at least three to four doz a day right now. I also have an order for fifty babies that will be arriving the ninth of this month and should be ready for early spring sales of new layers.

Bridgewater, ME

OK I guress that answer is acceptable.LOL

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

still want pics

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

so do i! unless some magically money tree appears in my yard so that I can come take my own pictures....

Ferndale, WA

We have two new baby seramas. Dot is the father and murph is the mommy of one and Booker the Looker is the papa of one and cocoa is the mommy of one. Pic's will be forth comming sometime today.

ZZ's you should be so proud of your Babiez. Hay

Ferndale, WA

Here are some pic's of our new serama babiez, The dark chick is also the smallest by far and is the baby of Dot, and Murph. the lighter two are from Booker the Looker and Cocoa. we got three out of six and my friend got two out of his three. So not to bad for the first try. Murph is setting on three right now and Cocoa is sitting on five. and they are about six days in progress.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

They are soo precious! I can't believe you put them in a fish tank. Does that work well?

Ferndale, WA

Sorry the pic's are not very good but with my eysight it's just shoot and hope. Another pic.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

Yes Greykyttyn the fish tank is perfect and heat is so easy to control with the lights. They will be in the fish tank until they are three weeks old. One more pic. The pic does not give you any idea of their size but I can tell you that Dot's baby was the size of my thumb. I have never seen a baby so small and I was sure they were to small to live. I wished everyone could see just how small they really are. Hay

Thumbnail by Haystack
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

OH OH OHHHH!! Haystack! Great JOB!!! They are darling! Give em a smooch for me! Lil BooBoo Babiez!!

When Dot hatched.. he was the size of a bumble bee!! I thought he would never make it either!
Thank you for the pics... they will be on my mind for miles and miles! You are the greatest!!

Ferndale, WA

The four girls we got from have all gone broody at the same time. As far as I can tell so far the are nine eggs under the four girls. I have never seen anything like this before, four hens, and all four go broody at the same time....Hmmmm. Any there should be hatching goin on in the next three or four days as best I can figure. This was all going on behind my back cause I was busy hatching some in the inc at the time and never noticed what the hens were doing. It has been a great ride so far. Lots of pics of the hens and their babies when the hatching begins. Haystack

Bellingham, WA

Looks like things are going well, Haystack!

Things are good here- 10 hens and 10 eggs/day!!!

We'll have to plan a visit sometime soon....

Thumbnail by whirleybird
Ferndale, WA

Whirlybird!!! How nice to hear from you. Wow your girls must be very happy producing like that for you. I sure have missed seeing you and your lovely wife. That beautiful daughter of of your's makes me smile every time I see her, she is such a doll. Seeing her with your girls is just the cutest. I never get tired of the pic's. I have been so busy. I have a couple ladies coming over tomorrow evening to pick up twenty five pullets, and another customer comming to pick up a doz fertile eggs. Then friday a customer will be picking up ten doz eggs for some kind of egg party. Not sure what an egg party is? Oh well I just sell the eggs. Whirly can you believe this wind and rain we have had recently. I have been ducking tree limbs. LOL. Thanks for stopping by, we have missed you guys. Howie P.S. Getting together with you folks is always a huge delight. Let's do it. dmail me your phone#

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 10:18 PM

Ferndale, WA

This is the ultimate experience in hatching, Finally I went out to the main coop to find my serama babiez are hatching and being cared for by their moms. All four hens are brooding in two seperate pairs. It's so cute to watch them brood in pairs. I have never seen it before. I never even knew they would do that, and both papas are sitting the edge of the nest watching over the pairs of moms. It is such a wonderful experience to see that happening. I am getting pic's and will post soon. Hay

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Haystack,

What do you owe your success to? If the Seremas are notorius for not setting on eggs why do you think they're doing it at your place? It must be a lot of fun and exciting and possibly profitable too since you're selling them.

Brenda

Richmond, TX

Yeah, and his hens are still laying for him while there seems to be a nationwide strike affecting the rest of us!

Lodi, United States

My Seramas are laying and broody too....I am not sure why people say they don't. Maybe strain dependent?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.