Green beans and tomotoes stalks

Flippin, AR(Zone 7a)

Green beans vines and tomotoes stalks will they eventually compost down. I didn't chop them up or anything. Just wondering

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

They take awhile, but will eventually break down. If you put these thick stalks in layers with other green/browns I tend to believe it will help get air into the bin.

Personally, I don't put thick stalks into the compost - I throw them in a heap in the corner of the backyard so wild life can hunt for whatever it is that wildlife hunt for LOL - birds, especially, seem to like to dig around in such piles.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

I certainly chuck my bean vines and tom stalks into the heap and have no problems. As Honeybee says they help aeration by keeping the compost open.

Flippin, AR(Zone 7a)

Thank you both for your help.

Helena, MT

grafieldkae, I don't try to till corn stalks or green bean vines back into my garden for two reasons: (1) They bind up in my rototiller and (2) I believe it tends to attract more unwanted insects and their larvae, or even diseases back into your garden. I have however been layering these materials along with horse manure and grass clippings over a rock bed at the back of my yard, ultimately to be used for an asparagus patch and some dill. I cover these layers in the fall with a thick layer of straw and the dill has already started in one corner of the 200' x 10' patch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.