Morning Glories 2009 #20

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I am being optimistic and thinking we will need a thread #20! LOL! We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1048438/

Gardenpom - What do you think of this hot weather we are still having? Global Warming has hit Florida?

Here is a huge Sazanami bloom this morning. In comparison to my hand, it is quite a large bloom! Still crossing these blooms as they are not producing any pollen. Most of the blooms do not fertilize, but ocassionally I will find a seed pod on the vine that I am able to get seeds from. Not many though and they will be crosses ...

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here is another Sazanami bloom later in the day. They turn pink. Pretty in both colors! :-)

Sazanami is one of the few vines I have left that are blooming still. Most of the others finally succumbed to rust fungus and I am collecting the seeds as they ripen. :-)

And the I. indica seems quite content to keep growing and blooming as well. :-) Here it is later in the afternoon turning purple ...

Melbourne, FL

Very dissapointed in October weather so far Becky.....this week looks to be very warm also.

gardenpom - Yes ... close to 90 degrees for most of the week. Ugh! I am so tired of the heat! Do you have any problems with Rust fungus this time of year? It seems to strike every year about the same time here and destroys my MG vines. :-(

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009 10:00 PM

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the Sazanami's Becky. I'll save you a few of the Xiong's seeds.
It was one of my favorite glories this year.

Melbourne, FL

I've never had a rust problem on my MGs, but I just noticed it on one of my Plumerias, so I'm about to strip all the leaves off.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

this is blurry, but I had a cool bloom in the window

Thumbnail by joeswife

Way cool, I like it.

Debra - Nice little bloom ya got there! :-)

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

that is so pretty, Debra... I wish my MG's would grow. . I still can't get anything over 12 inches and ONE lousy bloom then it all goes kaput.

Are you growing them inside or outside? These blooms on the plants I have been posting are from plants started outside, but brought inside .. is it too late to plant from seed in Flordia where u are at?

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi everybody,

My MGs are very slow to germinate this year. They are only starting to emerge... last year November, I had some 2 feet high plants already. I put it down to the fact that I haven't nicked the seed this year, and we had some crazy weather. Winter the one week, extremely high temperatures the next, then cooler wetter weather. I think the poor seeds just don't know what to do...

Will keep you updated.

Elsa

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't have anything other than a Philodendrum inside. I'm not good at starting seeds inside either (green thumb stops at the door).

The 12" vines were on seeds I started earlier this spring outside...darn things never did grow..

Try again, don't plant too deep, find a spot out in the bright sun with something to climb maybe>?

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Look at my moonvine, Becky. It is growing and tring to climb. Isn't it cute??
I moved it here and it likes it. The MG tree is getting ready to blossom out but it is raining
But I looked at it on way to mailbox. Maybe tomarrow.
Charleen

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Did all that..% it died. So need to start over.

Melbourne, FL

Three open this morning.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

From other side.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

MG Tree Bud.

Durn, hit the wrong button.
Here is pic of Bud.

Gautier, MS

I had this blooms today outside. Other vines have slowed down and mostly I have them under lights in DH shed till I get the last few seeds.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Very pretty. Like the stripes.

Gautier, MS

Thanks, you have nice blooms & buds too.

Becky your blooms have been awesome. Debra neat bloom too. Your blooms are very nice too Gardenpom. I had this pretty bloom from your seeds.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

helenahka, that is a beautiful bloom there!
Gardon as always your photos make me drool...
rrm, i am so glad to see a bud on an mg tree since i have a few around here that i started from seed..
dirtygrl, go ahead and start over, there is nothing to lose by trying..
Hi Elsa!!!!! ;D
I found a three cot seedling volunteer in a pot downstairs tonight

Thumbnail by joeswife

WOW!!! Nice to see some other folks here with blooms currently. They look AWESOME everyone!

The rust fungus has taken a choke hold on my vines and they are slowly dying. Boo hoo!

gardenpom - LOVE your photos of the 3 different blooms! Your perspective is a joy to view! :-)

Charlene - Can't wait to see your blooms on that MG Tree! Be sure to photograph your leaves, too ... if you would please! I want to see them one more time. I am still uncertain as to what your tree cultivar actually is. :-)

Helena - Pretty Pink Flaked blooms!

Debra - Neat that you found 3 seedlings! Whoo hoo! :-)

DIRTYGIRL - If at first you don't succeed, try, try ... again! :-)

Well gang ... I am pooped! Been working in the school butterfly garden after the kiddos leave at the end of the day and I am beat. I hope to get a photo soon ... if I can remember to take my camera to school. :-/

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

OH, I am trying!!! I never give in... I was recently given alot of MG seeds, various types... so I'm trying to get my growing skills on track so I don't muck up a bunch of beauties~ LOL~

Becky, I believe I got the bloom and your leaf,
let me know if you need more. It is going to be
a cute little bloom.
Charleen

thank you charleen for showing me that, i needed to see it.. the leaf tells me I have what I think I have.. ( about 6 of them LOL )
this one I found outside last week almost forgot about it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Very good. yOU HAVE A BABY. Are you going to transplant it??
Now You have a MG Tree. They have a nice bloom too.
Glad I helped.
Charleen

I have to keep them inside during winter here, Charlene.. it gets down to freezing and below often in winter here.. like everyday LOL

The Lady I got this from said Hers was hardy but I could take cuttings. They root very easy and evidently seed easy too. That is great.
I hope mine has seed before it gets cold, so I can Save them for my friends here on Dave's.
You think I should take a couple of cuttings to see if they make good?? I guess it wouldn't hurt. I can always find someone to give them to.
Charleen

You can try.. it seems like you do well at most things growing, so cuttings would not be a challenge to you, I think. ;D

I'll give it a try.
Thanks.
Charleen

Gautier, MS

Nice bloom Charleen for some reason mine MG tree didn't bloom this year.
Debra, I found a baby volunteer yesterday with my 4 o'clock pot.

Joice Cobb bloom.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

pumpkin still blooming nicely.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Charleen - Your MG Tree definitely looks like I. carnea:
http://www.backyardnature.net/yucatan/tree-m-g.htm
Very pretty! Thanks for posting the photo of both the leaves and blooms! :-)

I am still trying to figure out if it is prohibited here in Florida. Though I know Florida nurseries that sell the seeds and plants. But a version of I. carnea is on the prohibited list of plants for my state.

Debra - Looks like that is what you have there as well. :-)

They do root easily from cuttings or can be grown from seed. :-)

Helena - Love your Joyce Cobb. Where did you get it? I had JC several years ago and they were a beautiful baby blue. I loved it! Your pumpkin is a sweet little vine and blooms! :-)

Oh I love pumpkin, he's just perfect.

Do the blooms just last one day on that MG tree?
I hope it got pollinated Becky so I can send you a seed.
I'd be glad to start you a cutting. Just D-mail me.
I looked at the link and it looks like that . I will have to make a
tag for it. Thank you
Charleen

Charleen - Yes, the blooms only last one day. If the seeds are furry looking, then it is likely I. carnea. I have seeds for that species and even have a MG Bush that looks similiar to yours. But you just never know ... some species look similiar in photos, but are not the same plant. Thanks for the offer, though. :-) They are good nectar plants and often are pollinated by insects. :-) So you should get seeds!

I got up this morning and looked outside my screen porch and this is the view I saw. Blew me away! Those bright blue I. indica are really standing out against all the red and green in my garden currently. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.