Saving a florist hydrangea

Starkville, MS

I have a magnificent hydrangea that I purchased at the local Kroger store. It has massive sized, aqua/brownish blooms. Of course, I want to save it for the garden. In years past I have managed to save the impressive hydrangeas that I found at the grocery in December(usually white). I usually keep them in their original pots on my glass-enclosed porch----where I keep the temperature in the low 50's during the winter (I live in 7B). It has been a number of years since I have done this and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can make sure that it survives. It already has small little green buds forming at the bottom of the stem. Also, any idea on the name of this plant?

Thank you,
Shirleyd

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture of the flowers? Because of how flower color can vary with pH it can be difficult to ID even with a picture, but without one it is even tougher. As far as what to do with it--if you've had luck in previous years with keeping them in your glassed in porch I'd stick with that, no reason to change if you've got something that works well.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Very few times will florist hydrangeas have the name of the hydrangea on a plant label but check to see if yours does. I saw an awesome looking lacecap in SC years ago but no, it did not have the name. The label just said "hydrangea". Brother......

Starkville, MS

I have managed to get a picture-----but, not sure how true the colors are. I would love to get a name for it-----as, it is putting on lots of new growth at the bottom.

Thanks,
Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Starkville, MS

And this is another view

Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am in zone 5a and have overwintered two young hydrangeas in my unheated garage through brutal winters, and in my garage the temperatures are much lower than yours. I start withholding water, which makes them go dormant, such that I give my two hydrandea pots about 8 ounces at the beginning of each month. I see that you do not have an answer yet so I thought I'd respond.

I would recommend cutting the lovely flowers off (as I do) and then reduce watering by two thirds. When you want to rejuvenate them for the next season start watering them again, and when they break dormancy move them outside, give them some compost and triplesuperphosphate and epsom salts. Give them some more time before you give them fertilizer.

You will amused to know Endless Summer is really an old florist hydrangea that was recognized for its ability to flower on new wood and patented. It's not new at all, and started like yours.

Here is a picture of a hydrangea Shishiva (more tender than your plant) that started out the size of yours and has spent 3 winters in my garage.

I hope that someone in your zone will chime in.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Starkville, MS

Thanks, DonnaMack. Your plant is huge and beautiful! Also, thanks for all your suggestions. I really knew that I should cut off the blooms------------but, was so enthralled with them, it had slipped my mind until you reminded me.

Shirleyd

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How is the hydrangea doing, Shirley?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm about to overwinter for the third winter an unidentified white florist hydrangea. The first winter it spent deep in the compost bin. I had chucked it out that following February as it was a Christmas gift and I had no way of overwintering, not even a cool garage. Imagine my surprise when I found that thing still with green buds the next spring! I stuck it in the ground in a spot that would be warm in the winter ( south side of the house) and last winter I covered it with a rose cone. It came through fine - but no flowers. It grew slowly this growing season with absolutely huge leaves on a very short plant. In a week or so I'll put a rose cone over it again and see what happens spring 2010. It does have huge fat flower buds. So maybe I'll get lucky. It's been an interesting journey.

I really enjoy experiments like that and wish you good luck with yours. Amazing what comes out of compost bins. I've had sedum plants, a huge dahlia and creeping Jenny.

Starkville, MS

It broke my heart, but I cut off the gorgeous blooms------and now displaying them and hoping they will dry a beautiful shade. As for the plant, it looks fine and is putting on leaf buds along the stem. I would prefer that it become more dormant-----but, I am afraid to with hold too much water with it in this stage.

As for plants surviving compost piles, I have had 2 Angel Trumpets survive a winter in one------and doing just fine now and bloomed during the summer.

Shirleyd

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Compost bin over wintering. Hmmmm........ Maybe we're on to somthing here!

I planted a Siberian iris in one compost pile to test the growth. WOW! When (if) it ever stops raining I'll take a photo of it.

Starkville, MS

Here it is February, and my florist hydrangea is still doing fine. It has lots of tiny leave buds on all the stems. I guess the cool temperature (50's usually) on my porch are keeping them from growing too much. If it ever warms up (possibly March) I will put it outside briefly---unless we get some drastic weather.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Good luck. My florist hydrangea is sngged up for the winter under an old styrofoam rose cone. Its an odd plant, short thin stems with huge, huge leaves. It had nice fat buds on it when I covered it up. I'm hopeful come spring it will decide to bloom.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm sending happy thoughts to both of your hydrangeas. Please send us pics in the spring!

Starkville, MS

I am happy to report that my florist hydrangea purchased in Oct. is doing well on May 1----and has many buds. I can't wait to see if the color is similar to the original blooms.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You should have open blooms before many of us, being further south. My hydrangeas have not started what-I-refer-to-as their broccoli phase yet. How are yours, Shirleyd?

Starkville, MS

I have more buds than I have ever had (over 100 hydrangeas)------and, I really don't know why. Could it be the extremely cold winter? Could it be the cottonseed meal and cow manure that I have put on them? Who knows? Also, a number are potted (such as the one I bought in Oct.)-----and, I water them with alfalfa tea. Anyhow, I expect to have a big show by June. (A couple of the macrophyllas in the garden have almost fully formed blooms but have not developed color yet---

Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow, you must have a lot of land if you have 100 hydrangeas! Or a lot of shayd area in your property. Enjoy the blooms this year. I saw one hydrangea in front of my house with the "broccoli florets" but tiny still. Less than half an inch.

Starkville, MS

I have a rather large backyard-----------but, I have to confess to crowding things together. I just don't know when to quit! And, I love to root hydrangeas-------and, now, I have to pass them on to friends-------due to lack of space. One of my favorites is Preciosa which I have rooted----is about a foot tall and has several bloom buds on it. I have a problem of documenting when I start them and their name-----as it seems that all the indelible pens that I try fail me!! So much of it is guess work------------but, I am pretty sure of this identity because of the red on the stems. But, to tell the truth, the ones that give me the most joy are the paniculatas because they begin blooming when other things are wearing out (July) and various ones will last into the Fall.

Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Have you checked out Tardiva? It blooms later than most paniculatas.

The Tardiva is a wonderful and showy hydrangea. Here's a photo taken 9/14.

Thumbnail by pirl
Starkville, MS

Luis_pr --Yes, I have a couple of Tardivas----but, my favorite of the paniculatas is probably the oldest one----the Grandiflora. It blooms first-----and, the blooms seem to last longer than all the others.

But, my absolute favorite of all hydrangeas is the Harmony (a quercifolia). The bloom looks like a pile of mashed potatoes. The only problem is that it has been hard to locate. I think Wilkerson Mill used to have it as well as a nursery out of Birmingham.

Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, Harmony is difficult to locate. When I was looking for a Harmont years ago, I ended buying another oakleaf when I found that one locally. It then died 3-4 years later when we had about three months of almost constant rain. I assume it got root rot. Now the tree that shaded it is gone (got too old) so I have no shaded space for one. :o(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.