Pink Montauk Daisies?

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

The Montauk Daisies (Nipponanthemum nipponicum) are in bloom in my area. Everywhere I seem to drive, they are masses of white blooms similar to Shasta Daisies. A few of them however seem to be soft pink instead of pure white. Is there a pink strain or cultivar of Montauk Daisy or do they blush pink naturally as the flowers age?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Here in Long Island where I believe the namesake comes from they don't change color, when they age the blooms merely shrivel up, similar to Rudbeckia. We have no other strain here that I've seen but it's always possible one has been developed.

Westchester Co, NY(Zone 6b)

That sounds pretty! I have low-growing Montauk daisies (i.e. the foliage is like a ground cover altho the flowers are a foot tall). But noticed others in my area with foliage growing over a foot high. Would anyone know if the taller plants are a different variety? I have a lot of shade so it might just be a cultural effect.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

We have quite a few around here, a local nursery pushes them every fall. I've never seen a pink one.

Mine are 2+ feet tall in mostly sun. Strangely one internet source advises chopping down to the ground in spring to make them taller. Another one says to leave them alone to increase their height. So I take their advice and prune them every other year!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

there is a home not far from me that has some kind of soft pink daisy like flowers that look like montauk daisies. i am now on the search as these would add some color at this time of the year.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure if this is it - hard to tell if the blooms are large enough

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/188859/

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a really pretty pink mum, Bill! Would love to have that one. I have never seen pink Montauk Daisies.

Karen

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

I think what I have been seeing is not a pink Montauk Daisy, but a pink Dendranthemum 'Sheffield Pink' that is in bloom the same time as Montauk Daisies, thus the confusion.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That does make sense. Would be nice if someone could develop a pink cultivar of Montauk daisies.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.