My new seedlings

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

A friend gave me this seedling from a big JM. Here are the seedlings.

Thumbnail by boojum

And closer.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here is the mother tree.

Thumbnail by boojum

And its leaves. Wha thinks it has some Bloodgood in it. Does anyone have one like this? What is its name?

Thumbnail by boojum
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wow that tree is a mother! :)

boojum - i made my guess without seeing the parent tree - i still say mommy is a bloodgood - and a real nice tree - its huge!

The house is 1875-80. Maybe the tree is that old.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's stunningly beautiful boojum. How lovely that someone thought that far ahead and now you are getting to reap the benefits. I had heard that bloodgood could get that tall but have never seen one that big before.

This house is on the historic register in Newport, RI. I visit often. There are some amazing specimen trees in the neighborhood as you can well imagine. But many are in need of an arborist-folks don't have the means to have full time gardeners anymore.

Milford, DE

Bloodgood was first believed to be introduced originally by the Bloodgood Nursery, Long Island, New York. The first appearance is listed around 1950. It is thought to have come from Holland.

I remember as a young lad going to Long Island with my grandfather and father to cut scions of this plant. I also vaguely remember Bloodgood having something to do with RCA in New York. Whether Bloodgood Nursery and RCA were one in the same I do not know.

Dave

This message was edited Oct 26, 2009 6:42 PM

Wow. Fascinating stuff, Dave!!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Well This should be a lesson to all those who plant seeds and try to pass of as the parent tree . Although both seedlings and tree are very pretty they are in no way alike. This may change as the seedlings age but the parent tree is a Palmatum and the seedlings appear to be Matsumurae deeply divided . leafs of seedings are also highly serrated while the mother tree is not . As I said young seedlings can be misleading and may look more like mother tree in time but these two seem extremely dissimilar at present . One very good example of why those selling " specifically named cultivar" seeds from Ebay are being totally unethical while taking advantage of folks who know little of Japanese Maples to make a buck .( let alone the fact that the gernination rate on 12 seeds may be ZERO that $4.95.. As I said though both of these are very pretty .....just dissimilar!! Davidsan

Thanks, meyersphcf! They do look very different! If I don't kill them, it would be interesting to see if they grow up to be Palmatum or Matsumurae. I'll hafta ask my friend where she dug them up and if any other JMs are in the neighborhood. I tried in spring to propagate seeds directly from her tree with 0% luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.