Worcester, MA

I bought a few reblooming Iris afew years ago that never rebloomed. Someone told me they won't this far north in zone 5. Look what i found yesterday!

Thumbnail by maureen1952
Worcester, MA

Here's another. Smells great.

Thumbnail by maureen1952
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Woo hoo...don't ya just love surprises?

South Hamilton, MA

It depends on the plant & its ancestry as to performance. 'They' can do unusual things.

Worcester, MA

I meant those that are sold specifically as rebloomers.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice!

South Hamilton, MA

Yes, but those sold as rebloomers do not do so in all climates. that's what I meant about the ancestry of the plant. Chuck Chapman in Canada has been doing a lot of research on rebloom. His SDB, Forever Blue reblooms in Manitoba & many other colder places. Immortality (white) fall blooms in MA. But other 'rebloomers' may not do so as their background doesn't let them perform in colder weather, but the same plant will do so further south.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm droooling with envy Maureen. Thanks for sharing.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i got a bunch of rebloomers years ago and they don't

jealous

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think maybe you can do it wha. It's a dream here methinks. Chapmans is so very honest about it for my zone and responds to personal email. Maybe check it out. IrisMA will know for sure. We are sooooooo lucky to have IrisMA on this forum.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll say

South Hamilton, MA

If your screen turned red, it's because I am blushing. We all have specialties--look at the JM reports on this forum. I have to go slowly on rebloom as we seem to be in a not successful area here in NE MA. wha, you might have better luck with the right cultivars. Plants which are not remontant here do so farther west in MA, small area that we are. Most successful for us are TBs Immortality & Pink Attraction. Standard dwarf cultivar, Forever Blue has had fall bloom in Lunenburg but not for us. DH has a cultivar named Brom Bones which he introduced as a rebloomer & is late enough so that it sometimes performs in fall & sometimes does not. DD in northern OH has an Intermediate (IB) Champagne Encore, which is still blooming, but she is on the Lake Erie lake plain with frost warnings to the south of her, but not her area. She is on the same latitude as Hartford. So it is hard just to get 'rebloomers' in our area. However those plants are apt to put up a succession of stalks in the spring & give a longer period of bloom then.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have immortality not sure if it has ever rebloomed - i think the first year i had them they did rebloom and that was after a winter in the ground - none since - lunenburg is one town over so maybe i'll look for forever blue.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Maureen, your iris is beautiful! I had Immortality rebloom here once. The conditions must have been just right, since it has not done it again.

Worcester, MA

I don't know much about iris. Ttward the end of the summer I cut the leaves back but didn't wit this plant . Would that make any difference?

South Hamilton, MA

Leaves don't need to be cut back unless the iris has just been transplaned. It is done then to prevent water loss. Iris leaves which are turning brown should be removed. New growth will be starting & some old leaves die. Don't cut the new ones like you don't cut daffodil foliage as they are food for the plants. Immortality is a plant which takes awhile to get going even in the spring. Once established in a spot to its liking it performs very well. I often go past gardens in late Aug., early Sept--& see a white iris in bloom--bet anything that it is Immortality.

Worcester, MA

Thanks for the good advice.

Warners, NY

I bought Immortality a few years ago. The first year it didn't bloom at all so I got peevish and moved it-------------yanked it out and stuck it back in my woods beds I should say. Since my flower beds grow by kind of muddled increments I added to the area by digging out nettles,blackberries, poison ivy, and chopping down another tree or two. then added Wild Horses because I didn't know where else to put it. Darn thing bloomed beautifully last Spring so I planted forget-me-not seeds around it-Immortality that is, but no show this Fall. Wild horses was pretty good and some columbine self sowed from somewhere and the nasturtiums across the path invaded the area as well as the coreopsis. Then I bought a Hemerocallis minor and that ended up back there. Yesterday a nice gal on the daylily forum shipped me some seeds and a couple of fans of Lemon Lily and that went next to the species lily with the intent next Spring of starting a family of fragrant yellow early daylilies possibly from a clone of a species not used before, but who knows? Someone may have grown seeds not purely propagated from it, although it is listed as from collected seeds. Meanwhile I added kniphofia (sp?) across the path and a mess of self sown daylilies are beginning to take hold down the path. There are also nine or ten seedling daylilies forming clumps that will bloom next summer and the first siblings were reds that I've posted before somewhere , so, all in all next year looks promising if I can figure out what to plant next.----------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
South Hamilton, MA

Immortality does take awhile to get going. When it finally does, it is quite reliable if it has enough sun.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

"Immortality does take awhile to get going."

Can't argue with that!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice daylily

South Hamilton, MA

Jumper 2's plant of IB Champagne Encore has more buds to come. There are other bearded irises besides Tall bearded.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice, Maureen! I have Immortality, and it rebloomed for me once. Had it 3 years now. A lot of daylilies that are listed as rebloomers do not or rarely rebloom here in the north, but they do well in the south. We just don't have the right conditions, although there are some northern hybridizers that are working to get more northern rebloomers out there. I will hopefully be working towards that myself with my hybridizing program.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.