Anyone recognize this pond-side flower?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Anyone ever seen this wildflower before? It's a first for me, but my guess is a salvia or a lobelia of some ilk?
It's growing out of the bank of the pond - very boggy spot.
The plants are about a foot tall. The individual blossoms are about an inch and 1/2 across or so. They're more blue than purple. (The bottom right photo is probably the truest to the color.)
I've included a shot of the leaves (and a visitor of some sort).

Since it's growing right here in the SC coastal plain, I thought I'd see if anyone here recognizes it.

Thanks for looking!
Deb

This message was edited Oct 22, 2009 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, I've been searching PF and the web and I'm pretty sure it's a lobelia - but - well, if anyone has a clue as to which one, let me know. :)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have Porcher's book here and the text says there are 3 similar species of lobelias that occur in the coastal plains.

L boykinii - has narrowly linear leaves and rhizomes, flowers May - July. Probably not this one.

L. canbyi and L. nuttalii have leaves.06' wide or more and no rhizomes

L. canbyi - has blue corolla without a white eye at the throat, flowers July - frost

L. nuttalii - has a blue corolla with a white eye at the throat, flowers May - frost

There is also a L. inflata (AKA pukeweed) that, in the book, appears to have tiny flowers but the leaves look a lot like those in your picture.

Hope this helps.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Ardesia! Yes, that helps alot- narrowing it down from 100 to a handful. :)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I found one more possibility, whilst looking for photos of l. nuttalii, and that was l. puberula, aka Downy Lobelia.
Sure is a beauty though. Here's a shot from early this morning.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Porcher did not mention that one, I wonder if the puberula is native to the coastal plains?

It really is a beautiful color.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Really lovely. I have a native scutellaria in a lavender that is pretty, but not as nice as your flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.