Lady Bug Invasion

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Any one else being invaded with Lady Bugs? I went out to hang some cloths on the line and came back in with them attached to me and my cloths, I'm going to have to shake the daylights out of the cloths hanging out there now :>( I will let the ones that came in on me live here for the winter, they have alot of plants to live in. I dont think they will hurt my plants will they?????
Christine

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We only have them, (& box elder bugs), when it's warm & sunny. Only one day that way so far. That was Monday.
They will only hide in the house in the winter & do no good for your plants. Most will die & then you have dead bugs to clean up!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you, I will now throw them out :>)
Christine

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

These are the Harmonia lady beetles aka multi-colored Asian lady beetles, and came here from Japan. There, they overwinter in chalk cliffs. Since we are a little short of chalk cliffs, they try to overwinter in our houses.

They won't hurt your plants, but they are not in active mode (sort of hibernating) so not really beneficial insects at this time. Some will die, and the odor can be a little off-putting.

Hate to say it, but it really is best not to let them inside your house.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I seem to recall that the stinky stuff they release if they're disturbed or squished also can stain surfaces, so that's another reason not to want them in the house (in case you didn't have enough reasons already!)

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone, I think I've gotten them all out of the house :>)
Christine

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The japanese ones bite people also. I had them in my parents house and the got on me and it wasn't pleasant. Not like bee stings but like ants.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

We've had the Asian ladybugs overwintering in our shed before and when the weather warms up they go out. Someone once told me that the reason they bite you is because they are thirsty and that I should take a squirty bottle of clean water with me in the spring when I open the shed up. I also did that (squirted them with water) occasionally during the winter, and then again in the spring when they were leaving. This worked well. You could see them go to the drops of water and drink. I was happy to accommodate them because they are so helpful in keeping the aphid population under control.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Ladypearl, interesting tip. I'll remember next time I see them to give them a drink with my mister bottle. Thanks
Christine

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice I shall use that next time I open a nest to remove the population from my parent's house before they all die in the windows, floors, and cabinets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.