Big Fence Question

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

My most precious dream right now is to build a 6 foot privacy fence between our rotten neighbors and us. ll I can hope to afford is a stockade. My question is...do you think that it may absorb heat during the day and release it at night so I can may stretch that area to a good zone 5. Unfortunately I will have to plant on the North side of it, but what if I paint it black?

Come on, I need opinions and ideas here. WHat if some spots had tempered glass pannels built in?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i think any kind of structure would help to keep the heat in that area!
my toadlilies on the north side of the house got NO frost yet and every other one
got hit! So im sure it will help maybe a zone 5! LOL but its michigan!

live and learn!

What about the glass pannels? Do you think it could act as a green house? I might have to cover them in the summer with grass shades, but that way it would block out the view too. (That's a GOOD thing) I have these huge sliding glass door pannels and some double paned windows. I might even stick a door or too (going nowhere of course) just for fun. If I don't need to paint it black, I could use lots of color on both sides.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Jyl
Can you put a foam sheet with foil on one side? That would attract the heat at least in the months you would need it and then it could be removed when the hottest days of summer are here?
Also any plantings could be protected with a screen of burlap on stakes for the winter or you could 'wiltproof' the plants.
Or plant things for zone 4 in that area!!
Julie

I have zone 4 all over the yard. I'm hoping for a ,little micro climate for maybe some blue hydrangeias or other things I love, but don't quite make it most years. I love the idea of the foil pannel. I'll bet it would really help to shelter my bees too.

Mostly I just want something that looks cool. There is too much ugliness in that area of the yard.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Hui, Jyl. Don't forget to check zoning regulations before you start. I might save you a lot of grief in the long run.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I cover my hydrangeas with foam cones for winter. Works great. I also have a product called a "Zone-up" bag. It's an insulated wrap that is supposed to lift you one whole zone if you put it around a plant. It was pricey and I haven't used it in a while but it does work if the wind doesn't carry it away. :) You can also spray some things with an anti-dissicant spray. Spray while the temp is over 40 degrees. It puts a coating over the stems and prevents them from drying out in the winter wind. I've also used burlap around things to help protect them. You can either directly wrap or make a sort of cage effect with poles then wrap the burlap around them and fasten them. Use your leaves to build up around plants you want to overwinter. Make a sort of mini mountain around them. Rocks or stones will also help keep the soil warmer at night since they collect heat during the day from the sun. I kept a zone 7 pampas grass alive three straight winters with a 400 pound rock in front of it and a zone up bag around it. :) It was the most beautiful thing the last year before it finally croaked. It had 82 plumes on it. I cou nted them. It was about ten feet tall. I had complete strangers stop and knock on my door wanting to know what it was and where I got it. They are common down south but unheard of up here almost.

Well, those are my ideas for trying to overwinter things a bit. Good luck.

I think even the zoning board would wave a 10 foot brick wall with the neighbor I have.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I had one of those....had to have a ppo served on them...talk about physco lunatics! We've since moved from there and things are sooooo much better ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.