Golden Raintree Seeds How to Scarify?

Currie, NC(Zone 8b)

I have them soaking in warm water now. This is my 1st attempt at trying to germinate a seed with a hard shell. Can anyone tell me if I need to soak them in something stronger and for how long? Is the shell going to soften? Then I am going to put them in the fridge in a little baggie with some potting mix and wait for them to sprout. If there is something else I need to do, please let me know.

Joyce

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I will share with you how I deal with eastern redbud seeds. I collect them - just did this year's collection today. I date the bag and place it in a fridge that I use for plant product. Purists say you should put some moisture in the bag - I don't. I leave them in the fridge for at least 90 days. When I remove them from the fridge, I set them out at room temp for a couple of days. I then put them in approx. 192 degree water and allow them to soak. I use a cooking thermometer that I use only for plant product. Just keep the temp below boiling temp. The temp is one Michael Dirr suggests in his manual for propagating woody plants. After the seeds have soaked for a few days, I place them in a good, well soaked potting medium and wait for my new trees. I don't keep the medium constantly wet, I just stick my finger in the medium every once in awhile to ensure it is moist. By the way, I am fortunate that I can do all of my propagating of woody plants outdoors in a shady area. You should be able to do the same. I wish you well. Don't overcare for (overwater) the seeds or seedlings.

Danville, IN

According to Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", he gives the following instructions for Goldenraintree (Koelreuteria paniculata), also called Varnish Tree or Pride of India:

"PROPAGATION: Seed has an impermeable seed coat and internal dormancy; scarification for 60 minutes in concentrated sulfuric acid followed by moist stratification at 41º F for 90 days is recommended; very easy to grow from seed, I have raised many seedlings; root cuttings collected in December represent a vegetative means of propagation."

From your location, IF you have the "other" raintree (Koelreuteria bipinnata), also known as Bougainvillea Goldenraintree, Chinese Flametree, or Southern Goldenraintree, Dirr says that this one seeds with abandon in his garden. "Seeds sown in the fall germinate the following spring."

Barmera, Australia

G'Day,
To scarify the seed means to abrade the seed case enough to allow water to penetrate. The stratification is to do with "Over Wintering" ie sufficient cold to let the seed know that Winter is over. That's a bit simplified but I think you will understand. Quite a lot of Australian natives need scafying to mimic the affects of Bush Fires.
I found that if the seed is big enough hold by the embryo end and rub on a rough surface a brick will do but Sand Paper is probably easier. If the seed is not big enough to hold between the fingers then a small pair of pliers or tweezers will do the job. Also with the Aust natives I have held the seed with pliers and given it a quick wipe across a red hot Hot Plate. I don't know if that will work with your tree but you could try a few seed to see if it works just remember always hold the seed by the pointy end.
Brian

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Lemkegarden, Be very cautious about using sulfuric acid - Dirr's publication was written for professional nurserymen who grow for a profit and are trained in ways to speed up the propagation process. Very hot water or the ways Stake suggested will break down the outer coating enough to allow the seed to produce a seedling. If you are very patient, just stick the seed in a good potting medium after the minimal (90 day) chilling period and you will still get a seedling. It just may take a couple of years for the seed coating to break down. Look to the wild - nature gives us the answers. Patience is the best quality for an amateur gardener. By the way, Stake has given us straightforward answers in understanding the "S & S concepts. I wish all of you well.

Danville, IN

For sure, be very careful with sulfuric acid. I was only relaying the info I had for Lemkegarden. Since "scarify" involves any means of cutting or softening the wall of a hard seed to hasten germination, there will be many ways to accomplish that. I agree with peony01 that patience and nature will be the safest and easiest way to get seedlings. After all, nature doesn't use sulfuric acid, and gets lots of seedlings!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Dremel tool will do the job easily and quickly then just soak over night.

Currie, NC(Zone 8b)

Thank you everyone for your input. I am staying away from the acid because this is the 1st time I have ever started growing anything. Better for me to keep it simple. After soaking the seeds, I did knick some of them with toenail clippers. I left some of them whole. I put them in a baggie and dated it. In 3 months I will put them in some potting mix and hope for the best.
I also put some chaintree seeds in a baggie after soaking them. I hope this works. I will have a lot of seedlings if it does.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 9:36 AM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You should nick before soaking. I think I got rain tree seeds to sprout in about 10 days if I remember right, it shouldn't take months.

Currie, NC(Zone 8b)

Oops...I did it backwards. I soaked then nicked the seeds.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The whole intent is to get water into the seed then they either sprout or rot one of the two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.