Y'all will have fun with this! An iris wins a blue ribbon

Raleigh, NC

I just got home from the North Carolina State Fair. As always, we hit the Garden Show while we were still fresh.

about 10 years (and two houses) ago, I used to show roses each year, and have a nice collection of ribbons, so I went to the roses first. Just beyond the roses was a division that included bulbs, corms, etc. There was a huge stalk of ginger in full bloom and I almost didn't see the iris stalk beside it! That division must have included rhizomes, because there was this delightful reblooming iris, first one I've ever witnessed at the fair, which had taken both a blue ribbon and best of show for that division.

here's what y'all will just love. It was a wonderful pliccata with a nice white ground and blueviolet-to slightly orchid stitching. It was labeled clear as could be "Blue Suede Shoes".

Ain't IDing irises just a hooooot?!! I was talking to the garden reps there about giving iris demonstrations next year, when the gal pointed out the iris that had taken a Best of Show, and I just blurted out, "it's lovely, but it's not Blue Suede Shoes! I wonder if the exhibitor knows?" She might have backed away slightly from the slightly loony "irislady" at that point...I bet she doesn't often get folks walk in unannounced and proclaim "that's the wrong plant." I'm pretty sure she thought I was nuts.

South Hamilton, MA

You would think from the name that they would realize that it should be blue. Shows that irises can confuse a novice.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Considering the number of plant places, whether e-bay sellers or otherwise, that will attach an iris name and label to anything that goes in the ground; it may not be the exhibitor's fault. Kudos to those who are trying to hold e-bay and other sellers responsible for selling the correctly named iris rhizomes. On the other hand, WOW, a reblooming iris WON at the North Carolina State Fair!!!
Peg

Raleigh, NC

yes, Peg. That stalk of blooming ginger. It was spectacular. So that win was impressive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.