Iris and watering them!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I obviously do not know what I am doing with iris since I have had most of mine rot out. I am sure it is because I am watering to much and maybe planted to deeply. I have spent a lot of money on killing ( buying them and sending postage for them) these. I really want to suceed and keep them alive. Please help.

Lebanon, OR

Maria
In your neck of the woods, I would plant NO DEEPER than 1/2" to 1" as the sun is hot there. Do not water alot, because it can lead to rot.

D

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks D. I will start over next year. I have a couple that have survived and will go home and dig those up.

Lebanon, OR

Maria

Are you near an iris club? As support and learning from other members help more than you can image.

D

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You know I will find out this weekend when I go to a sale at one of the schools. They usually have some one selling some there from the clubs.

Hi Maria: Rot is always the result of too much moisture or due to soil that isn't well drained. Irises are easy to grow and pretty tolerant of dryness. Bearded irises go dormant for a short period during the summer once they bloomed. I live in hot and windy WY where we don't get much moisture. I water once/week and they still thrive.

I plant their rhizomes with the top level to the ground since they like to have the top of the rhizome baked in the sun. Too deep planting will prevent them from blooming and can also cause them to rot, especially if the soil isn't well drained.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep that is what I did way too much water I think even for here in the blazing hot desert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.