Monster tuber clump!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Oye! It's the mother of all tuber clumps! Much thanks to hemhostaholic!!! Uhm...I guess I know the answer to this question already, but...do I just kind of dig in anywhere? I have studied Poochella's tutorial ad nauseam, but I'm just nervous because this one's a behemoth. I'm sure I will lose some, just from the digging in process, but just in case there's a trick to not losing any...I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!!

Carrie

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oy! That's a fine looking clump. Trim the tails and roots off so you can see better. Study the clump for any with obvious eyes, though they may have dried off and shrunken/sunken in a bit by now. Have some wine or Tums or both! Stab into and carve out any easy ones first, and remember to look on the underside too.

After that, maybe try to gently wrestle the stalks apart. Sometimes the multiple stalks and associated tubers will come apart into more manageable clumplets. If not, you'll lose some, but plenty will remain for the picking. Good luck!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I cut the stalk in quarters first and wiggle them apart and then its easier to divide. I also aim to cut into the mothertuber if they are really jammed.

mothertuber: the tuber that made this year's plant. It should be thrown away as it is spent and although it might make a plant it won't be flowerific next year.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 9:12 AM

Okay-thank you...I'm going in!!! I will take a photo journal as I go along, just for giggles.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Don't forget eye and ear protection........ Giggle! I can't wait to hear of your experience taming the clump. Some are so cinchy, and some are just like Rubik's Cube-tuber style. Turn it over and over and it continues to look like an Unsolved Mystery. Good luck QQ!

I'm putting off digging and dividing until I simply can't anymore. Frost or no frost. Still cutting flowers though you have to sift through carefully to avoid rain spot damage, there are still plenty of good ones at this late date.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

So true pooch. I find singing helps to avoid a state of befuddlement.

Okay-here are some pics as I went along. I hope they aren't too dried out. They don't look as plump and potato-y as your tutorial, Pooch. But they did have to ship, then wait a few days till I could get to them for cutting. I didn't rinse them well enough to begin with... I had to do several more rinse-ings after this, even though I am going to plant them. (I just don't think I can store them anywhere it will be cold enough).

Boy, are you ever right when you say Rubiks cube!!! I kept turning and turning, head scratch, head tilt, tug tug...I tried wiggling, but they were hugging pretty tightly. Not sure any singing was going on, I was too busy wincing and cringing every time I had to separate one. I probably could have cut them up even more, but I'm too chicken.

So, overall, not the best job done, but it was the first time and I feel a smidge better about doing it in the future. Thanks for all the advice and cheering.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Oh, wanted to add-I'm sure they aren't all viable tubers, but oh well.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

QQ I think you did a very honorable job attacking that clump. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised to have many stalks popping come some warm weather (or whatever they do way down there in the banana belt.)

Not every tuber will have an eye. There are many duds formed each year, but I'm sure your clumps and clumplets will go on to provide plants for you. Never fear! One thing I've learned to like is a very thin bladed cutting tool/shears for severing tubers. Using them vs a pruning shears gives many more options for getting into tight spaces to grab a tuber. Just my preference. I can't ever imagine using a knife or single blade. I'd have no fingers left.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

QQ, you have inspired (shamed?) me. I have 25 of those ugly clumps in the basement that I dug last week before our freak 4 inches of snow hit. Today's the day. I'm sure I'll need a stiff drink and/or tranquilizers before it's over.

Oops-weird! This is actually the final photo. Could've sworn I put this one in. The other two were earlier, before The Final CUTdown (insert cheesy 80's keyboard music). Thought the others looked weird. Thanks, Annie.

Bebop-don't be afraid. While it can be befuddling (Rubiks cube), it's not that bad. Like Pooch said-you may lose a few, but you'll have so many from separating, it won't hurt too much. Her tutorial was a huge help-I did the cutting inside so I could have the puter up as I went along! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/662385/
Though, any excuse for alcohol, tranqs is okay by me.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Quee that is magnificence served up on a newspaper platter! You really tamed the clump like an old pro. Cheers for you!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There really should be some sort of award for successfully managing a clump like that - congrats!!!

Jo North

Aww-thanks guys. We'll see how many are viable next year-lol.
Would be kinda funny if none grew. I still don't know what to do with them. I have ordered 30 different varieties (yikes) from online suppliers for next year and that's going to be a tight squeeze. It won't get cold enough to store them (unless I had lots of fridge room, which I don't). Can I bury them, then dig them up next year and share them? I would offer to share them now, but I have to be honest and say I don't have the time to deal with all that shipping work. But, if they make it through a dirt nap I will be happy to share them next year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BRAVA! CHEER! STOMP! WHISTLE! HOOT! HOOT! WELL DONE QUEEQ!!! I am on a mission to find the perfect tuber knife. I like a little utility knife with a 1 inch blade that I can slip in and about. I have broken all the ones I have found so far on gnarly tubers but I will not forsake this quest.

Yes, I second that (tuber knife). Notice none of the pics had nice close-ups? That's because all I had was pruning shears, so the cuts weren't pretty. Is it wrong to ask the brand of the one you use, Annie? Or just some you've seen that might fit the bill?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, when it comes to saving dahlias, nothing's EVER wrong to ask, no matter how detailed or general, in my book. I use a few tools to get them down, trimmed, cut apart. PVC Pipe cutters for really tough stalks. Pruning shears for stalks/branches. Fruit secateurs for fine cuts, (narrow strong blades can stab and cut both in tight spaces- seen below,) floral shears for trimming little roots quickly. Machete for really tough customers, which are rare if you divide every year. Has anyone ever tried the dahlia knife from Swan Island or other places?

Dahlia knife at Swan Island
http://www.dahlias.com/dahliadividingknife-item820.aspx

Fruit secateur in action
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Dahlia%20Lessons/tubercuttingpeachsorbetwithmarks.jpg
Here are a collection of things used to whip dahlia clumps into shape each year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/dahliatoolsall.jpg

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O I'm luving the look of the Swan Island knife! Pooch why haven't you gone there? Perchance you are more dextrous with snippers? I am so NOT dextrous.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't trust me with a single bladed anything. I can barely cut potatoes safely. The torque of the snippers is what keeps me cutting easily, and I keep them sharp for easier stabbing into crowns or thick tubers. But at some point, I'd like to try the dahlia knife and probably will.

Oh yeah, you did mention fruit secateurs before. I do like those Swan Island jobbies. Wonder if I can add some on to my tuber order...

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Was it necessary for the tuber to be divided? (like for its on good) or was it divided because you wanted more plants... I too received some of these nice clumps and want to know If i should divide them.. I did seperate one into two because it seemed to have a weak spot that needed separating but i didnt divide it into smaller tubers... Think I need to? Thanks in advance for your answers Im new to dahlias except small varieties grown from seeds.... Trish

It is my understanding that you do need to divide when the clumps get big and/or every 2-3 years to promote healthy new growth and blooms. I've only been growing them for 2 years, so this was a new thing for me. So, yes I did it for it's own good AND for my own need to learn how! I say go for it! Let us know how you do, if you decide to divide more!

Carrie

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I hope you can divide that thing...I think I sent about 8 or so clumps out about that big, or larger. Some were teeny tiny, others weighed about 2-3lbs each. I think Pirl got 2-3 of them that big from me. I hope all goes well and they flower like madmen/women next year :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Me, too! Thanks so much, Thom!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Thom - I divided a couple of clumps that you sent, and left some alone. Thanks so much.

My question for those of you who are in zones where the ground does not freeze - now that I have some tubers divided up, do I put them in the ground now? Pot them up? I don't need to store them in a place like a basement since we rarely get any freeze, but if I am not ready to plant some now, can I just bag them and put them in the garage? Should I go the sulfur and saran wrap route anyway?

The ones that are growing in my garden, can I just leave them out where they are?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If you don't divide the clumps every couple of years you will have less and less and smaller and smaller blooms because the many viable tubers are competing for the same nutrients and water. To have the largest and mostest blooms I divide every year. No problemo for me cuz I have to dig them up anyhoo to store. For those of you in warmer climes who can leave them in the ground you could do it every other year.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Dahlianut. Being a lazy gardener, I'll probably do it every third year.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

ok Thank you all for the info....I halved mine and went ahead and planted them in the ground before the rain got here and will mulch them before it gets to cold but next year I will dig and divide them properly.... Trish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.