Anyone have pesty chipmunks eating there lilly bulbs

Galesburg, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, i have a chipmunk story. Last summer my dog Chester had a critter cornered under some bushes. I finally got my dog Chester away from the critter to see what it was. It was a little baby chipmunk and i thought it was the cutest thing. Its head was injured, since my dog had it cornered. I will post a picture of the poor thing. He did survive as i seen him around the yard on and off the entire summer. I was happy too see it was ok. Well here it is ONE YEAR later, and i believe it is the very same chipmunk that i caught digging up my lilly bulbs. I have many different lillies planted in my yard, but this particular lilly is one of my most beautiful flowers in the spring. Last spring it had over 100 blooms on it. Now i am so sad, to see that this chipmunk has been eating on the bulbs and i am so hoping that he has not destroyed my beautiful lillies. I covered up where he has been nibbling with bricks and it dont look as if he is bothering it anymore. I hope its not hurting to cover the bulbs with the bricks to protect them??? I want them to bloom again next year and any suggestions to ward off this chipmunk that i was once trying to save from my dog would be appreciated. I hate to think of killing the chipmunk as people have gave me ideas of ways to get rid of them. They are cute little creatures..do u guys think the bricks will do damage to the bulbs under ground, since it is now off season and winter is approaching. If i remove the bricks in the spring hopefully the bulbs arent so damaged that they wont grow this year. It did look though as if the chipmunk has nibbled away the white bulbs under ground. I seen pieces of them all over the place. Any suggestions on what to do would be so welcomed. I am going to post a couple of pictures below. I want u to see what this little injured chipmunk looked liked when i rescued him from my dog. I also want u to see what my beautiful lillies look like in bloom. That darn chipmunk sure isnt nice at repaying me for saving his life. haha This is what his poor head looked like when my dog got him, but he ended up being ok, cause he is still here and being at pest at that. Notice the gash on his head.

Thumbnail by twohassles43
Galesburg, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok here is another photo all worn out after going to war with my dog. The poor little guy.

Galesburg, IL(Zone 5a)

Now here is the pictures of my lillies and the many blooms they get each year, and i just realized this chipmunk is eating my lilly bulbs. He is digging into the ground and having dinner with my lilly bulbs..any suggestions. I hope and pray these come back next spring. They are so beautiful and always the first signs of spring. These are the ones that had over 100 blooms and they all eventually opened. I am so sad if that chipmunk ruined them.

Galesburg, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, one more picture of the lilly plants the chipmunk has been destroying. These were my absolute favorite color.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

twohassles,
We have chipmunks too, and i adore them. They do have to stay nimble to remain out of the talons of our two cats, and i've had to rescue a few this past summer - one thought it had found refuge in the wheel well of my car.
And what gorgeous lillies! If only one could logic with a chipmunk, but alas.
You might try spreading around some of that Shake-Away powder that supposedly smells like fox urine to deter Chippee.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

You could try feeding the chipmunks. They love sunflower seeds, and will spend all day stuffing their faces with birdfood instead of eating your bulbs.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

You could make "boxes" from 1/2" wire mesh and dig up your favorites and plant them in the boxes. I used to think that chipmunks were just so cute - then I had to have an electrician out to repair their handiwork. (and I had lost a lot of plants to them over the years too.) I tried feeding them. They do love sunflower seeds. They love my bulbs too. Even owning a dachshund that made it his life's work to get rid of the chipmunks didn't work - they are wily critters!
Good luck

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I was told they don't like daffodils for some reason so I planted some around and near my lilies. Also I threw cloves of garlic!! No chippys or squirrels...even the skunks avoid that bed!! LOL

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh what a georgeous lilly that bright scarlet one is. Have never seen that color before either. Now my goal i to locate one that color for my garden.
Thanks for the pics and good luck with those pesky chipmonks

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Uhh, BirdieBlue, you are just getting started on a really big, passionate quest! There are soooo many truly outstanding ones that you will be seeing when you look for thiis one...You can have blooms for most of the growing season with a good variety of them. I can't wait to get back to the States and plant a ton of them! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.