Pacific Hurricane Rick

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sheesh.. I take the weekend off from DG to garden, and a hurricane pops up! And a big one at that!

Folks in western Mexico need to paying attention to this one! It's a category 4, and although it is weakening, it may not have time to weaken very much before it makes landfall.

From http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/:

Quoting:
ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS DUE TO INCREASING VERTICAL SHEAR AND INGESTION OF DRY AND MORE STABLE AIR LOCATED TO THE WEST OF THE HURRICANE. THE NEW OFFICIAL FORECAST IS A LITTLE FASTER IN WEAKENING RICK THAN WAS SHOWN IN PREVIOUS FORECASTS...BUT THIS IS MAINLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS ALREADY LOWER THAN EXPECTED. MOST IMPORTANTLY...RICK IS STILL EXPECTED TO BE A SIGNIFICANT HURRICANE AS IT MOVES NEAR THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA AND INTO NORTHWESTERN MEXICO IN 2 TO 3 DAYS. A 96-HOUR POSITION IS SHOWN TO MAINTAIN CONTINUITY IN THE INTENSITY FORECAST...BUT IT IS DOUBTFUL THAT A WELL-DEFINED SURFACE CENTER WILL EXIST AT THAT TIME.

A HURRICANE WATCH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN BAJA EARLY MONDAY. INTERESTS THROUGHOUT SOUTHERN BAJA AND ALONG THE WEST-CENTRAL COAST OF MAINLAND MEXICO SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF RICK.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It has weakened to a cat 3, but is slowing down, too. Weakening is good, slowing down isn't - that gives it time to gather strength again.

Quoting:

800 AM PDT MON OCT 19 2009

...RICK CONTINUES TO WEAKEN BUT STILL A MAJOR HURRICANE...AIRCRAFT
RECONNAISSANCE TO INVESTIGATE LATER TODAY...

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA
FROM SANTA FE SOUTHWARD ON THE WEST COAST AND FROM SAN EVARISTO
SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST...INCLUDING CABO SAN LUCAS. A HURRICANE
WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

INTERESTS IN WESTERN MAINLAND MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF
THIS HURRICANE.

LARGE SWELLS GENERATED BY RICK WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF
THE SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA COAST AND THE WEST-CENTRAL COAST OF
MEXICO DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...CAUSING POTENTIALLY
DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS.

Please be careful!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey I get a HURRICANE? ;-)

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, Ric! Yep.. They spelled its name wrong, though. I expect you're used to that. LOL

Rick-the-storm has weakened into a tropical storm. The computer models are divided about whether it will continue to weaken, or if it will regain strength and become a hurricane again. Either way, it should make landfall sometime tomorrow. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Ric you do get a storm!! How cool is that? I'm glad you've weakened down to a tropical storm though LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I think I'd like to take a trip up the coast...

Seriously lets hope it either heads inland or weakens and heads north.
After all those fires LA County can't take too much rain in one setting.

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rain? Rain! Where?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.