What is this Coleus???

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I posted this in the Plant ID forums but had no positive ID's. It is about 1 foot high, never flowers, slightly column-like growth and the yellow turns green with age and the red turns bugandy.

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Dasiys,

Your coleus looks like one of the seed grown types. I couldn't find a name that matched exactly.

Here is a similar one>
http://www.hpsseed.com/dp.asp?c=37&P={544529DE-E2BA-464A-BF23-181AA4F48974}

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Thank you Dale. I bought it from a local greenhouse that was clearing its merchandise for the year so I do not know if it was seed-grown or a exact var.

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Dale, nice standard.

Dasiys, looks like Careless Love...maybe.

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayc/2725356692/

Coleus Stu Jr.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Might be Kalidescope?
Or Killer Clown

Will do.

Killer Clown has too much serration. And the other two do not have any pix posted. So this thread is still open.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I was looking through some of my coleus "fingerprints" and I think I may have found a good match.

Trailing Psycholeus
http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/2146898_2427590#imageID=40070758
http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/2146898_2427590#imageID=40070759
http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/2146898_2427590#imageID=40070760

What do you think? Same plant?

Janet

Hi, UniQue,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread (accindentaly deleted from watcher).
All the links look almost identical to a specimen of Stormy Weather, as well as the winter foliage to the coleus in question, pic in the next post. Your coleus' look very interesting , did you breed them yourself?
Oh, and mine is a upright(in the 3rd post), not a trailing, but your plant is so much alike!!!

Stormy Weather>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Coleus in question, summer foliage, upright.

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Winter Foliage close-up>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I didn't breed these. The awesome folks here in this forum sent me a multitude of cuttings. Sadly, all of my coleus have gone to coleus heaven now after the snow we had on December 4th. I don't winter them in my house. It would just mean a slow death for them because I can never remember to water inside plants.

The cuttings were labeled from the donors, and I thought I remembered seeing one like yours. Stormy Weather is also one I've had in the past and perhaps I was thinking of that one. They all tend to look alike after a while (yeah right!)

Merry Christmas

DM, the photo of the whole plant looks like a raked-up pile of fall maple leaves!

New Hyde Park, NY

DMgardener, it does not look like Stormy Weather to me. I attached a picture of mine which I purchased from Rosy Dawn.

Thumbnail by daisy_lee
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

I have to agree with Melissa and Daisy. Definitely not Stormy Weather. Probably Finger Paint.

Happy New Year everyone.

Stormy Weather

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Finger Paint

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

Thanks all!
Finger Paint looks like it's the one! I really can't believe the indenticalness! Thank u all!!!!

~Daniel

P.S. So far, I have 2 different forms of 'Stormy Weather, one more yellow than the other, and I have seen about 7 different forms of it in catalogs, internet and local GH browsing. Why are there so many different Coleus' named Stormy Weather, and which one is "real"?

P.P.S. UniQue, sorry to hear that your Coleus' went.

photography is quite variable, as well as the conditions the plants grow in. Some of mine can't be recognized, between being in sun, and full shade!

Completely understand.
Thanks!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Stormy Weather is one of those that change anyway. Add in the different variables for all plants, and when you have one that is meant to change, well, you get 9 different looks. :)

lol. like Sedona? In the past three months, it has gone through at least 5 different colorings, all based on orangey-pink, but received black, then acclimated. Read this is a heat-color type, reacts to heat, and heat it's colors;)!

LOL

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 11:09 PM

lolololololololol...

What I have that's supposed to be Sedona has tiny new leaves light green, not pruple. Anyone else?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Just had to share some pictures of my Finger Paint cuttings. These four cuttings all came off the same parent plant.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Sorry, this isn't the clearest picture.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

This one looks most like the parent

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

This one is sporting a pretty pink. Quite an assortment from one parent!

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Remarkable! You've got some real lovely plants there.

goldfinch, WOW on the variety of cuttings that your coleus produced!☺

Momola, my Sedona has dusky purple blotches now, since I moved them in for the Winter.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks. I hope to take some cuttings of the sports and see if they will remain that way.

This Sdona's little emerging leaves are green....??

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

looks like my "fingerpaint"

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN

Momola, this is what my Sedona looks like now. It's resting inside now, it'll probably start growing at about Mid January.

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am becoming more fond of Sedona as time goes by.
I have some cuttings that are cruising along at slow speed.
I'll keep my eyes open for a mid Jan. growth

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Sedona is one of our best selling coleus. The color is fantastic, very unique. It's not perfect however, because it tends to flower a lot, but it's worth the trouble. BTW, it is one of the very few patented coleus. That means that propagation is illegal without a license from the patent holder. That said, I don't think the plant police will be knocking on your door to check under your grow lights - at least not for coleus.

Chris

p.s. It was a sport of Freckles.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2009 10:35 AM

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL I am not so shure.Wasnt there a nigerian who passed onto a plane with a bomb.?

LOL, every winter the kids swear the Sheriff is going to knock on our door and ask what I'm growing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

i'm sure RD will send them when they see how much smaller my order is this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.