Epsom salt: fertilizer?

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hello everyone,
someone told me to mix epsom salt with water and give it to my roses if they start yellowing. i did it, and they look SO MUCH better!!!
i was wondering, does anyone here know what other plants i can use it for? and how much and often can i give it to them?
thanks for any info.
Isaac

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Gardenia and Brugmansia also respond well to 1 Tbs epsom salts to 1 gallon water here in my garden.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Isaac, I found this site called the Epsom salt council....have a look.

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden_usage_tips.htm

Keaau, HI

Epsom salts are especially useful in arid areas, and they help to desalinate soil. It does not build up in soil like other fertilizers, so can't be overused.

It contains Magnesium (Mg) and Sulfur (S), so provides an added macronutrient to your plants that other fertilizers may not have.

The only way that Epsom salts could be deterrent is if your soil is high in Sulfur, which is rare.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

It's great for palms also.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Thank you so much everyone!
Isaac

Baton Rouge, LA

moonhowl ~ thanks for the epsom salt link....never would have known this. i'm going to try it !

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

You are welcome foto1.... can never have too much useful info....grin

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

I use Epsom salt on everything, even the grass. I have not found anything that doe not respond well to it.

Tina

Xai Xai, Mozambique

i really am glad for that link and this info, i now know i can safely use it on most of my plants without killing them. i will try it on our lawn as well. do you mix the salt with water first, Tina?
Isaac

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

Isaac

No I use a hand spreader and throw it out before I water or before it rains. A lot easier that way. For my plants in pots or beds, I sprinkle it around each plant.

Tina

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Thank you so much, Tina! i will definitely try it.
Isaac

Thanks so much for this. I'll be trying it...

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I have always used epsom salts on geraniums. I add it in the water once a month when I fertilize them with liquid Miracle Gro etc. I put about a tablespoon in the water can. It greatly increases the blooms and the leaf color is much more vibrant looking. Thanks for that link. I'm happy to know that my Florida tropicals might benefit as well.
Louise

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Good question Isaac! I have never used it either. Christi used to use it alot on her plants. I'll have to try it on my palms and brugs.

Dave, what about Plumeria trees?

Thanks and Aloha y'all!
Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.