Perennial Climbing Vine

Charleston, SC

I recently had to have two branches on an old live oak tree propped up. The tree is so big that old telephone poles that are about 15 - 20 feet high were used. I am looking for a vine that will climb and wrap around these poles. I would like it to stay green in winter. I am in zone 8. The poles get mostly shade. Any ideas? Thanks.

Belton, TX

Evergreen wisteria would be my suggestion...the shade will diminish the bloom, but the plant is beautiful and evergreen in your zone. This plant is not like most wisteria and does not soar or put out suckers.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

when does it bloom txaggie? and hello by the way. and how big would a mature plant get? i am rethinking my roses.

Belton, TX

It is a perpetual bloomer and at maturity, 20 to 30'...much like a wisteria, but sooo much better behaved. Lovely scent.

Belton, TX

Trial...I need to tell you that I could only find the evergreen wisteria at one nursery in LA...it seems to create a challenge on getting the cuttings to root....

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i am researching this vine now. wow what color. and seedpicker says she grows it so it ought to grow here. she lives about 30-40 miles from me.

Belton, TX

I grew it in Duncanville years ago and it stayed evergreen most of the year...should do the same for you in Fate....

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

what was the bloom time when you grew it? do you think it's still at your old house? i could make a night time visit with a shovel. hehehe what do you know about millettia taiwanensis. this one is reticulata.

Belton, TX

I have never grown the Japanese version of evergreen wisteria...if it has any of the characteristics of other japanese wisterias, I would not plant it. Just my opinion.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

do you know the difference in millettia reticulata and millettia taiwanensis? are you saying the taiwanensis may be like jap. wisteria? from what i read it's more of a shrub than the reticulata.

also on the reticulata..........if i got a plant that is in a 4 in. pot...........how long before it's a real plant?

Belton, TX

It is a vine or sprawly shrub...I've seen it in Japan and yes, I am saying I believe it is similar to japanese wisteria, japanese japonica, etc.

I have never seen reticulata in a 4" pot...I only know of one source for 1 gal and that is in LA...I planted mine 2 years ago and it has grown 25 foot on some of the vines...less on others...I do have to spend a lot of time twining the limbs into the pergola...

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

which company is that in la? you mean los angeles or louisianna?

Belton, TX

Almost Eden Plants in Louisiana...they are in the Plantfiles listing for the plant.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought an evergreen wisteria this last summer while visiting in La. (not Almost Eden). It was blooming at the time and had the most wonderful fragrance. I have it planted next to my metal gazebo. I'm hoping that it will do its wisteria thing. The blooms are a very deep grape purple.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

anne ..............how much? how big? how much has it grown? when did it bloom? is it blooming now?

is almost eden in new orleans?

No wasn't Almost Eden. It was just a little nursery down from where my friend lives in Hammond. It was blooming in August. I didn't take very good care of it before planting. However, it has taken off and greened up wonderfully once planted. Son planted it the first time (if you call it planting) and called to ask if what I wanted planted was the stick in the pot. But in less than a month it has greened up, and put off a lot of new growth. I paid a huge amount ($60) but it was large and blooming at the time. It's about 4' now, it was larger when I bought it. So it's very resilient/forgiving. I don't know about winter in that I haven't had it that long. I will mulch and put hay around the base of it. Are you coming to the round up? Or have I already asked?

Anne

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

prob. not. took my kids to new orleans and florida this summer and still trying to catch up.

hey jitrialerror...........i apologize. there needs to be a way for people to kick me off their threads.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1262/
Carolina Jasmine would be a good evergreen vine for your area.

Belton, TX

I would also like to suggest coral honeysuckle...it will bloom in shade or sun, poor soil, host to butterflies without ravaging the plant, and contained and mannerly habit...not like some other types of honeysuckle...

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I had no trouble growing Evergreen wisteria from seed. Slow going tho.....

Belton, TX

Yes, I had another friend in FL tell me that, but the local growers seem to have a tough time...

I was looking for a picture for Trishann and found this pic of my evergreen wisteria blooming right after I bought it.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

did i already ask how long does it bloom? weeks? months? the reticulata.

is that japanese sort invasive?

I don't know yet myself. I've only had it for about 3 months. All I know is that it was blooming when I bought it. It might have bloomed longer had I planted it sooner.

Belton, TX

It is a perpetual bloomer...the ones I have seen in Waco and Austin bloom about 8 months out of the year and don't seem to stop except for the hottest times of the year...they do not seem to sucker and are not considered invasive as the japanese variety...

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

and the japanese variety is the taiwanensis one. the reticulata is the good one. i think i have it now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hmmm dont know that one

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You might also consider the crossvine, Bignonia capreolata L..

It is a lovely evergreen vine in your area, grows fast, has beautiful rose or orange or yellow with rose throated blooms, depending on the variety you plant. The hummingbirds love the blooms and the leaves are a very pretty glossy green. The vine has both tendrils and the little sticky pads that will attach the vine to any flat surface. The only thing I don't know is how much shade it would take and still bloom well for you. I'd think most any perennial vine would have a season of bloom and then rest.

If interested in looking at this vine, do a google search and you will find many articles and photos.

Here's a link to the plantfiles on Dave's:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1789/

Mary

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've experience with crossvine 'Tangerine Beauty'. The cultivar apparently differ than the one species native is that it doesn't go to seeds in my climate thus not as invasive.

Tangerine Beauty, will bloom best under full sun, however. Those I trained onto an Oak North facing in my backyard. It has been 5 years; the blooming were sparse at best. The leaves are evergreen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.