Dianthus In Winter - Ellijay Mountains

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Folks:

Newbie here. I planted some Dianthus Sept 1 and wondered what type of care I should provide them with the coming winter months. Some references say mulch after the first freeze, others say after the ground freezes etc. It's a wacky internet...who to believe? Here's a pic of them this morning. They're anywhere from 3-5 inches in height.

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi KD...Welcome to the GA forum...

Personally, I mulch everything before the frost if I can...especially tender plants and at 3-5 inches, I'd call those Tender...

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There are many different kinds of Dianthus so there are variations in culture. I grow a perennial Sweet William type at Maypop. Mine are in a raised planter, in afternoon sun and well drained soil. They do well in these conditions though the ones more like carnations usually prefer it cooler. I don't ever mulch them in Fall, but put down the thinnest layer of mini bark in Spring to make the planter more attractive. They rot easily if wet. Maybe mulching is for colder, drier zones than ours. Here is a good site with a variety of types and an answer to your question. http://www.justgardeners.com/hrsc/articles/art_dianthus.html. Hope this helps.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the replies folks! I did put some mulch around them about five days ago, also to help prevent soil erosion as the area can be troublesome with heavy rains. Btw, mine are Sweet Wms also.

So far doing quite well. Wondering how they will fare through the winter.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought some type of dianthus at wallyworld a few weeks ago and put them in a deck pot on the front porch. I don't know if it is all of the rain we've had that they love or the cooler temps, but they seem to be happy. They are blooming their heads off.
Also have one called Raspberry Surprise out by the mailbox and it blooms more when the temps are cooler. I try to mulch them too.
Your home is beautiful!!!

Anyone wanna tell dummy here when to drop some Sweet William seeds here in Sugar Valley??? A friend in Oregon just collected them and sent them to me....I have never done the seeds before, just the plants, and they reseeded themselves...I think I am just too old and too brain dead to be starting over...LOL

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Raggedy!

It's all I need. Just a whee lil' cabin in the hills. Lottsa gardening stuff to learn if I ever want this place to look the way I want it to.

Dusty, I'd just toss them where you want them. Mine reseed in Spring and fall (cooler weather). If they don't grow now, they'll come up in Spring. Poke around Dave's and the internet for info on germ with these seeds. I think they do not store well.

We're a wee cottage in the hills as well, KDF.

Thanks Laurel....I have a bed already tilled they can live in...

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

These buggers are dropping seed already the way I see it?

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Still hanging on after being buried in two inches snow and frozen for what seemed to be a few weeks.

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have dianthus 'firewitch', it always throws seed and is a welcome addition. I move them all over.
Mine also have gone through being buried under 4-5" of snow and it has never slowed them down.

chris

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I had my doubts when I saw the local Lowes selling them into November, but they're hardy!

Speaking of hardy. This frigid weather better end soon or I'll go nuts. It's getting down right annoying. One day the ground is thawed, then the next day frozen again.

How's the weather up there? We've had our share of rain so far this year. At least it's not so cold now. Your dianthus are looking good. I need to move mine so they can spread out. Seems there are a few tulips coming up right smack dab in the middle of them???? Not sure if that was the work of a squirrel or my 10 yr old LOL ;)

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Raggedy:

They survived the winter quite well. I got a load of composted cow dung they seem to love too. I would suspect they'll be flowering well if the warm weather continues as they call for...finally. All sorts of stuff popping up from my November bulb planting. I never thought I'd ever get excited about plants...

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Update:

These things are going crazy, although they are not reseeding as much as I wanted, but that could be due to the mulch on top. I do see some itty bitty seedlings. Time will tell...It would be nice to see this area full by years end.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

Well they are looking good! I think they are happy! :)
Mine are dropping seed and spreading out a little.
Still drooling over your cabin! You should post a pic hint hint!

hugs,
Susan

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Raggedy:

Lot's of pics on my blog...before and afters as well.

http://cabininthemountains.blogspot.com/search/label/Before%20And%20After

The Dianthus were given a haircut yesterday. Too many old blooms to cut so I cut all of them back to about 4-6 inches, plus some were getting raggedy. I hear they may re-bloom later this summer? It was quite a spring for color indeed!

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

"Mine are dropping seed and spreading out a little."

Looking back, these things don't reseed at all. I must have been imagining. It also looks like they can't take the heat very well. I lost about 75% of them this summer.

I think I lost all of mine that were in deck pots. It has been so dry and hot here. I almost thought I was living in Az! lol
It's mazing how they survived the cold and snow though.
I took a peek at your blog and I was drooling! You have the dream house and everything looks perfect. You are truly blessed!!

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Raggedy. It can get pretty lonely around here. I am out in the sticks (one neighbor 200 yards but they have different interests) and I have never been a good social butterfly. I can't wait until next spring as so much has failed around here...at least that's my opinion.

You and me both! I gave up on pretty much everything that was growing in my yard. It amazes me at how some things just keep on truckin'.
My son keeps asking me when can he run over all of the dead plants with the mower! ;)
I live in the city and everyone pretty much keeps to themself, so I know what you mean.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

"My son keeps asking me when can he run over all of the dead plants with the mower! ;)"

Add my lawn to that equation too. It's a mess. I don't think I'll ever get a good lawn here in the woods. It's good from May to July then forget it.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

Time to reseed that lawn Ken. Otherwise bury it in mulch and install some great big pavers. I think we are usually pretty dry until November so you'll have to be handy with the hose. If you get lonely you can always come visit me and Steve at Maypop again. :)
Laurel

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Somethings gotta be done with that lawn area. I've had enough of battling with it. Opposite sex lonely.

Ahhh. You need to get out more and meet a soul-gardener.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.