Hoping for an ID.

Merino, Australia

I know it is near impossible to ID an iris from a photo, but I just had to buy this one today at the local Trash & treasure. I have never seen such an unusual color. It has lovely purple horns too. The lady said she thought it may be Caliph something. I would love a name but with such a pretty iris I will grow it regardless. Being in Australia, it may be only a locally grown one but worth a try at finding out. Thanks for any help. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Lebanon, OR

Could be Kalifa's Horn

Merino, Australia

Thank you. The lady is getting on and doesn't mark all her TBs any more but I just couldn't resist the color, name or no name.

Raleigh, NC

AIS checklist lists Kalifa's Horn as orchid lavender flecked darker, with a bronze beard, lavender horn

Merino, Australia

Thank you all. I checked the plant file pictures and it is definitely Kalifas Horn. So lovely.

Gainesville, TX

looks kind like elainalope

Gainesville, TX

no, elainalope doesn't have horns........oooooops

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Definitely looks like Kalifa's Horn!

I have this iris and recognized it as soon as I saw the thumbnail of your photo (before opening the thread and reading any information including suggestions of others). here is mine

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another look. I have no doubt that the iris you are trying to ID is Kalifa's Horn.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Merino, Australia

Thanks DreamOfSpring. I know its hard to ID flowers from photos but as this iris was so distinctive, I was very hopeful.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That iris does have some unusual characteristics, but I think it's often fairly easy to ID an iris if it is one that you actually own and especially if you have seen it (the real one) a lot lately as I have this one. I think when you own the iris and work with it - I just spent a couple of weeks photographing that one daily in my garden - you are more likely to recognize it as apposed to trying to match 2 photos of an iris you have not seen in person. There is just something about 'knowing' the iris personally that makes it fairly easy when you see it again.

When I put a iris or any flower up for ID, I'm always hoping that someone who owns that flower will come along and spot it.

Merino, Australia

You are right about being familiar with the iris flowers. I have become used to seeing the flowers of mine close up now and can recognise them without having to resort to the notebook as often.
I was buying anything pretty with or without names, but have over the last two years been only buying named ones.
Makes it so much easier now I am trying my hand at breeding my own.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.