CLOSED: Sacred Datura seeds for SAEs, Trades

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SORRY - - This offer is now closed . . .

Dec 1, 2009

Sacred Datura seeds (Datura inoxia) offered for SAE + postage or for good trades.

aka:  Jimson Weed, Hindu Datura, Hindu Apple, Indian Apple, Thorn Apple, White Datura

Plant info:  http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/355/

NOTE:   All parts of this plant are toxic.  Take care to wear gloves when handling any parts of datura plants and to wash hands thoroughly afterward.  The seeds in particular are highly poisonous when ingested - so, DO NOT EAT DATURA SEEDS!  O.K.?  Thanks.

my WANT list::  http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=want&member=LazLo

Whenever the supply runs out, I will close this thread right away.  Until the thread is closed, yes, I have more White Datura seeds left and, yes, I will send a packet to you . . .

What I need from you:

A self-addressed business-size envelope (SAE) or a self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 61˘ in LOOSE U.S. postage stampsPlease do not affix the postage to your return envelope.  Thank you.

Mark the lower left corner on the outside of your enclosed return envelope with the words:   "Sacred Datura", just to keep me oriented and all.  Thank you.

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

The accompanying photo was taken by DG member Brinda.  "Picture was taken at dusk just before flowers opening".

A T B T Y !       ~       ŁazŁo     ;--)

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo

Will get an envelope out to you tomorrow!

Bubba!

Oops! Don't have the seeds after all. Won't be sending envelope!

Bubba1

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
NOTE: All parts of this plant are toxic. Take care to wear gloves when handling any parts of datura plants and to wash hands thoroughly afterward. The seeds in particular are highly poisonous when ingested - so, DO NOT EAT DATURA SEEDS! O.K.? Thanks.

Don't know why all that is said about these plants. I have a couple and have never had an issue handling them. I certainly would not eat them or roll around naked in them but other than that I don't see why handling is considered by some to be a problem.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Well dang... if I can't roll around naked in them, I guess I don't want any! Hmph! ;p

I think maybe there's a bit of danger if handled with bare hands that have cuts or scratches (like mine usually do- thanks, kitties!) but mostly it's just a "better safe than sorry" type thing with the warnings.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Think you may be able to get stoned off of them. Some one pointed out that I'm growing more than one plant that can be used for other purposes. Like morning glories. They are listed as toxic but the toxic part is apparently you can smoke the seeds. I didn't know that about MG's. I'll go look this one up.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yep that's the toxic part.

Quoting:
Datura is a woody-stalked, leafy herb growing up to 2 meters. It produces spiney seed pods and large white or purple trumpet-shaped flowers that face upward. Most parts of the plant contain atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. It has a long history of use both in S. America and Europe and is known for causing delirious states and poisonings in uninformed users.

Quote is from a web site called Erowidorg.

Oh, lordy. I had no idea. I'd handle it with extreme care... I'm stoopid enough without getting stoned on plants. LOL!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

www.erowid.org is a great site for information on all kinds of stuff you'd never think of...

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Are these Datura Wrightii?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Teenagers are known to make a tea from the leaves to get high. They often hallucinate and develop a high fever and die. Indians used to smoke the leaves so they could "speak to the gods". Of course, some went on to speak eternally with the gods. ALL parts of the plant are toxic, but I handle it bare-handed all the time with no problem. You just have to remember to wash your hands thoroughly and immediately so you don't accidentally put them in your mouth and ingest the toxins. It's always better to be safe than sorry. (Wish someone had told me to handle hot peppers with gloves that first time. My hands burned for days!)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

sbarr:   re: "Are these Datura Wrightii?"

nu-uh . . . bees Datura inoxia

bigger, whiter, and not having overleafing petals on blooms as with wrightii

and now for something completely different . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

all I know is my chupacabra (chihuahua when she's good) ate my double yellow dat down to the dirt and looked at me like it was my fault when it was gone, she didn't even get an upset tummy

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have thousands of these seeds left . . . checked the garden this morning and saw some new seed pods ripening - so no current prospects for running out of Sacred Datura seeds anytime soon . . . If you are in a Gulf Coast state and your not having floods, this time of year is good for direct sowing daturas for a jump on next Spring . . .

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

plenty of Datura inoxia seeds remaining . . .

here's a photo of a Sacred Datura in my garden from this morning!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

are we at the end of the line with this offering? . . . lemme know soon if ya want some!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

can I have the kitty? LOL

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Lazlo
I don't have anything for trade (nothing I have a name for yet, leftover seeds from the ru). I will have confederate rose (doubles) seeds shortly though. I would love some. All my dats died this last summer. Way too hot them and too hot for me to get out and water like I should have.

A

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ann - you got DMail

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

this just in . . . seeds for this species are still available . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo

Hmmm. Still have some, you say? Maybe I should take you up on it- wouldn't want them to go to waste, after all... hehe.

Hey, did the last batch o' seeds I sent you make it there yet? (The Acer Palmatum)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

uh-huh . . . and i'm looking around for a great huge old pot for growing a japanese maple that won't break my bank. LOL! thanks to you! ;--)

*grin* Maybe you could build a box from scraps purloined from a lumberyard? They usually have bins of ends and pieces sitting out that people can grab from.

Okay- I've decided I want some of these seeds- I'll try to get my sase out in the next couple of days. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

I'd love some seeds. I can send a envelope and some english lavender seeds to you.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lazlo,

Do you have a Sam's club near bye? Just a few weeks ago they had a road show with lots of very nice pottery. I bought 2 very large pots they were $39.00 each . I could not afford this size anywhere else. They will have them again at another location here in Fort Worth on Dec 3rd. I really bought 4 one shaped like a fish, one frog and 2 very large round large mouth pots all for under 100.00 dollars. Just thought I would share. I know who expensive they can be.

Sorry to jump in.
Lori

Thumbnail by LValadez
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The frog. I wish I had taken a pic of the large one's My sister- Inlaw wants the fish.

Lori :)

Thumbnail by LValadez
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SORRY - - This offer is now closed . . .

Dec 1, 2009

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.