You know you're a gardener when.........

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I saw a thread like this over in GardenTalk and thought it might be fun to do here.

You know you're a gardener when you have more flower pots than all of your cooking pots, pans, dishes and utensils combined.

When you feed your family fast food for 6 months of the year because cooking cuts into gardening time.

When all of your friends and family are moaning about the rain and you're jumping for joy.

Thumbnail by stormyla
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when hubby has to cook dinner or starve because you lost track of time out in the gardens.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

You know you are a gardener when you look out at your snow covered garden and know the names of the plants under the snow.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when you have more photos of plants than people.

You know your a gardener when your mail man, UPS man dreads the next gardening season, lots of catalogs and deliveries.

You know your a gardener when you go to Lowes and park near the garden section, when you really went there to get drain cleaner.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Lady, I've done that before.

You know you're a gardener when you're more familiar with the garden supplies inventory of local stores than the beauty supplies.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I always park at the patio entrance and never understood why! :-) LOL Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when you knock on the doors of perfect strangers to inquire about their flowers.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

ladygardener said "You know your a gardener when you go to Lowes and park near the garden section, when you really went there to get drain cleaner."

Yep........You know you're a gardener when you go to Lowes, park near the garden section (as always) and leave with around 140 gallon perennials because they were on clearance for only a buck a pot. You didn't really go there for plants, but hey, they looked cold and lonely..............

early_bloomer

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Early_Bloomer, now that's quite a haul.. Hope you can get them all tucked in before their long nap.

You know you're a gardener when every sink in your house has a nail brush on it.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I ALWAYS park near the garden section, you never know what you might find on your way to the electrical or plumbing department. :)

You know you're a gardener when the wish list you give to family members for Christmas gifts is ALL "garden objects"! Which reminds me, I've got to start on my wish list for this year :)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, Isn't that the truth? Last year I asked for all gift certificates to 2 gardening suppliers.

You know you're a gardener when the amount of housework you do is directly proportionate to the number of rainy days.

You know you're a gardener when you change into all black and go into mourning after the first killing frost. : (

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when there is more leaf, mulch and mud debris on your floors than crumbs.

You know you're a gardener when you ask for a chipper/shredder for your birthday and you are female. LOL Ooo Oooo More Power!

Stormy, I'm getting the impression you are not much of a housekeeper, and I resemble that remark. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, actually Lady, I am. But this time of year, I drag so many leaves in that I refuse to sweep several times a day. I'm one of those people who has to wipe up every drip immediately and put everything away as soon as it's been used. But my gardening area is usually a mess. So is my car. LOL

You know you're a gardener when your clothes have more mud and grass stains than your kids clothes.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when.... you get a bulb planter for Christmas and you're happy about it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, gosh Jen, who wouldn't be????

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

lol

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year I requested a load of manure instead of roses for valentine's day. Now is that a gardener???

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh yeah!

no better gift then load of manure, the gift that keeps on giving !

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, yes there are true gardeners on this thread!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

PS, Lady, I got MY chipper/shreader 4 years ago. LOL Watch out for those wet leaves, they'll really clog it up.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Next on my list one of the rolling composters

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, under the christmas tree??

Stormy my c/s is around 15 years old, DH uses it, I got a little nervous about using it, and I can't use the pull rope to get it started anymore.
If I had room in the garage I'd get one of those electric leaf shreaders, I think they would be easier to use.

You know your a gardener when the first thing in the morning is Not...What's for breakfast but......What needs to be done in the garden today!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, I was looking at one of those electric ones too, but couldn't decide about them. This year I'm going to try using the push mower with collection bag on them.

Very true about the first thoughts of the day. I'd also add that they are usually the last thoughts of the day too!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OH I love this thread....and the fact that I'm laughing while nodding with each post is a sad statement...ok, not really but I thought it the "right" thing to say.
You know you're a gardener when your DGD (2 y.o.) has been rubbing leaves to sniff (silk and real, I may add) for at least 1/2 of her life.
You know you're a gardener when your DGD (2 y.o.) starts stripping in the kitchen as she sees you walk out back knowing it's time to water...which is THE best time for a water fight.
You know you're a gardener when your list of soil amendments is catching up to your spice list.
You know you're a gardener - when you know that the "real" use of the following is to protect your plants from insects or feed them: Murphy's Soap, Tea Tree Oil, Epsom salts, Blackstrap Molasses (thanks, Doc), Peroxide, Alcohol...least we forget the beer (ewwwww)
You know you're a gardener - when your trunk contains various cutting gadgets & various size zip lock bags - "just in case" you come across seeds or plants that you "must" have

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 2:41 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I love the spice list!! LOL

Stormy my DH windrows the leaves with the mulching mower and then rakes up the row of mulched leaves.
I find laying down a old tarp and draging the leaves to a corner of the garden and letting them decompose there also saves some time.

Chantell, you have some good ones there. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You know you are a gardener when you go out on a nice, crisp day (like today) just to see what MIGHT need doing---and come back inside 4 hrs. later --having raked leaves, pulled everything up, filled 4 lg, trash bags with vegetable material for recycling p/u tomorrow, filled your first bird-feeder, and still have some energy left.......but you NEED to eat something........

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Gita it sounds like you were following me around today! True True True. And what you went out there to do, is never what you ended up doing.

Lady, do you mulch your beds with the leaves? I keep some for composting and also some to fill the protective cages for the shrubs.

You know you're a gardener when you find twist ties, plant markers and marking pens in all of your pockets.

Stormy, I usually cut my perennials down to about 2 to 3 inches, this catches enough leaves to add winter protection. Then the snow does the rest. Some tender plants or new ones that I planted late gets a few handful of shredded leaves.
There are a few shrubs that get a burlap wrap for the winter.

You know you'r a gardener when you have to get your morning fix of Dave's Garden along with a cup of §
[_]D
Edited....Darn can't get the mug under the steam

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 7:33 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, You're lucky to have that snow cover. We don't get it, but we do get the cold. I'm taking your advice about tying and wrapping some of the shrubs this year. I'll also use WiltPruf on some and leaf cages on others. Those leaf cages worked wonders on the Hydrangeas.

It's not just morning Joe, I have a hard time not checking into DG from work or before dinner. That's a no no. It makes me have to work later and sometimes end up eating junk.

You know you're a gardener when your favorite form of reading is bulb & plant catalogues.

The snow cover is a blessing in that respect.

Don't have the internet at work, that would be no good!

You know you'r a gardener when your PC photo albums are full of flower pictures , not many people shots.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Too true Lady.

You know you're a gardener when you go to a wedding and end up taking more photos of the beautifully landscaped grounds than of the bride. Really bad form!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You know you're a gardener when you become your own personal recycling center.

All food scraps become soup first and then compost.

All food containers become seed sprouting trays, chemical storage, temporary pots, chemical applicators, mini terrariums and hundreds of other uses.

You know you're a gardener when your garage or basement has more of this stuff than tools.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.