quick question about bell peppers

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I planted bell pepper seeds for the first time this year. The plants are about a foot tall, and it's getting cooler out! Any chance I'll get even one pepper?

If you grow them, what's the best date to start the seeds in lower SC? Do I need to start them indoors to get peppers out of 'em?

Thanks!

Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Deb,

check your Dmail!

Amy

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They do much better started indoors. I start mine for spring planting in February for late April plant out. I have had some success, starting May-Early June set out in late July for a September crop. Don't do that often, as the spring plants normally reactivate and give me plenty of peppers in September-October. Just have to keep them alive in July- August, when the heat really bothers them.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Amy, thanks, I sent a reply.
Dill, I started these outdoors in very early June. No idea why they were so slow getting going. Mine are in full sun until about 3. Maybe they need more?
Guess I'll try indoor starts next year. :(

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My neighbor grows all sorts of peppers and she puts them out side earily spring.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Unlike most veggies, peppers are not annuals and can live forever, you could always dig them up and keep them in your greenhouse for the winter. By next spring they should be huge and ready to give you lots of peppers.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Really!? Wow- will definitely do that - if they survive tonight's frostiness.
Thanks, everyone.

Raleigh, NC

Debin, don't know that it helps you now, but I start pepper seeds in late January, not June!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Bonjon! I shall try again ine 2010! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.