What's in bloom today part 8

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Bright Sparks, a Hadco Amaryllis from Blooming Bulbs

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Little Star, another Hadco from Blooming Bulbs.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

No blooms for me yet, but I've started a boxed Evergreen today.

Ewing, VA

I have not ordered from Blooming Bulbs. How are their sonatini bulbs Bsharf? Size and quality?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The bulbs from Blooming Bulbs are fine. Overall the quality of the bulbs this year have been much better than the past 2 years. I've received 20 so far from Amaryllis Bulb Company, Easy to Grow Bulbs, Fernwood Farms (ebay), and Blooming Bulbs, only 2 had a little rot on them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

First bloom of the season for me. This is Blushing Bride from eBay seller flower_girlnflorida.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here you can see the back of the second bloom. It only took about 3 1/2 weeks from the time I potted it to the first bloom. I have 3 more to pot up today.

Susan

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Wow. Gorgeous. I never got my hippies outside this summer due to non stop rain June and July. So no striatum flowers this fall. :((
In November I will cut them down, stop watering and put them in the dark for 2 months. I don't do that to the species though. Is that correct???

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Bsharf, bright spark is very pretty!
Susan,blushing bride is very pretty!
Zombie.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Ewing, VA

Bsharf...thanks for those infos. I was thinking about purchasing a few varieties from Bloomingbulb till I read their "booboo" in GW. Gezzzz....what a mess.

Boojum....This is what I do. Stop watering now. Once they are dry, place in cool place (55F and below if possible). Wait till leaves die down and then cut. Apply Captan paste on wounds. They can be stored there until spring or until you want to bring them in to bloom. They do not need sunlight at this stage.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Zombie is nice! Here is Blushing Bride after the four blooms on the first stem opened. You can see a couple of the buds on the second stem are about to open. I noticed this looks more pink after the blooms are open for a few days. At first the base color looked more white.

Susan

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

A nice early start to the northern hemisphere Amaryllis season. This is Molto Bello, another Hadco from Blooming Bulbs.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

A few days later.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Much lighter & delicate looking 3 days later.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Bellisimo.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Love the Bellisimo. I have one on order.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Bsharf, thanks!
Trentino.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is supposed to be a "new" variety called Siren from Easy Grow Bulbs. I can find no information for it other than on their website. This is one of the oddest Amaryllis that I've ever seen. Look at the variability on the same scape! Has anyone else seen the same thing on this cultivar?

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The appearance of this bloom looks reasonably close to the photo on the EGB website.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This bloom looks as if it belongs to a different plant. Very pretty, but very strange..

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

These bulbs are in bloom right now. EGB labeled the one on the left as Madrid, but I believe, unless someone can correct me, that it is probably Lady Jane.

Thumbnail by bsharf

Beautiful pics all, I just got my order from JS. Planted 2 that had scapes Trentino & Cocktail. bsharf that looks like Lady Jane to me also! I really like that Sire, it looks like a dbl. Gervasse. Lorine

Ewing, VA

ETG's Siren looks very very similar to Joker. Flower size, coloration and that habit of having variable markings from one flower to another. And their Snow Drift looks very very similar to Alfresco. Hmmmmmm...

They are both very beautiful varieties and performers too!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Siren is really an interesting one with those variable blooms. Very pretty. I think when I return to work Sunday night Snow White should be blooming. Will get some photos.

susan

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria: when I saw the blooms on Siren, my first impression was also that it was Joker. So Siren may or may not be something new. I always get nervous when I don't see the new cultivar listed on Plantscope or on the Hadco website. My Snow Drift from EGB should be in bloom in a few days.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Calimero from Amaryllis Bulb Company. This has 3 nice scapes.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Ewing, VA

Nice one Bsharf!

I do not have this...yet! I have been pondering on it as it looks so similar to Rapido. Do you have both and notice any difference?

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Bsharf, very pretty!!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria: check the Penning website. They are selling both Calimero and Rapido, and have the description of both under their listing of Amaryllis. Looks as if Calimero has a little taller scape and less buds/ scape. Otherwise they look very similar.

Ewing, VA

Hey Bsharf! Thanks for the lead! You're right...they're almost the same. So I'll pass on this one. I have too many red miniature/small flower varieties already.

Now who ordered FLAMENCO QUEEN from White Flower Farm??? I received a partial shipment from them today and the 2 Flamenco Queen bulbs that I ordered were not included. In the bottom of their invoice states that "SAMBA" will be sent in another shipment.

Soooooooo...they are replacing a $19.95 Flamenco Queen with a Samba??? I don't think so! No wayyyyyy!!! My friend did receive his order from them and WFF has replaced his Flamenco Queen with a Samba without any notice. Bad, bad, bad!!! And besides, they have the most expensive shipping charges I have ever seen.

Yeh, I ordered Fantasy from them. I'll let you know how that goes. I think there was a box to check saying no replacements but my memory's so bad it may have been another co.!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I also ordered Flamenco Queen, but I haven't gotten that particular order yet. I write no substitutions on every order I place. But most places substitute anyway, cause they don't want to credit you. The nurseries make up their lists based on what they think they will be getting, and then their suppliers can't get the cultivars from their growers. One positive thing this year, I really think the overall quality of the bulbs has been better so far. I'm still waiting for the order from EdenBlooms. Hope it wasn't a mistake to order from them. I saw the negitive reviews in Garden Watch after I made the order.

Ewing, VA

WFF does have very good quality bulbs like Royal Colors. Their prices are a little bit higher specially the new varieties. I just actually just wanted to try Flamenco Queen and Peach Parfait. You know, just see them with my own eyes. Then I checked their shipping charges. Gezzzzzzz... So I doubled my order and added a Shangrila to make the shipping charge worth it. And then this happens. Sighhhhhh...

Yes, the bulbs this season are very nice ones. 2009 harvest is a good one.

Newbies and Greenies in bloom...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

My RC order came yesterday. Nice plump healthy bulbs. I hate to jink myself, but so nice not to see all the rotten bulbs like we've gotten in the past two seasons. My fingers are still crossed about Eden Blooms, the order showing up, in good health and correctly labelled.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 3:50 PM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Neon Rose from American Meadows

Thumbnail by bsharf

Beautiful Neon Rose, haven't seen that one before!

I got Fantasy from WFF. No substitution.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My Neon Rose is a few days behind yours. Here is a shot of the rose colored stem and bud. A second stem is just getting started. Hope the flowers will be a pretty as yours.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The buds on Snow White seemed to take forever to open, but it was worth the wait. The flowers are both stems are opening at once. Each stem only has 3 flowers.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lots of ruffles on Snow White. This one came from an eBay seller.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.