Need ALL brains out there....................

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Guys,

I am moving to a little more inland.

Much hotter, drier and I need all your help to suggest plants that will take that weather and flourish.

I do have a rain tank but there is not much rain and am not sure how much rain water there is anyhow. I would also have town water, but I try to conserve water.

Would you guys know the best washing powder to use so that i can use the water from washing without hurting plants.

Just any info that anybody can think of in our hot Aust weather.

It is "GOOMERI" Qld. No grass in yard except dead yellow grass. ANY help and advice needed.

Thank you all my friends,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

check this out Debi http://www.awareenvironmental.com.au/products.shtml

I would still practice caution in using any grey water..apply only to the soil, water in deeply and avoid wetting the foliage. Try and alternate it with tank/town water whenever possible to leach out the buildup of toxins/salts etc. I would think that plants growing in the garden would be more tolerant verus those in pots with confined roots. I would also apply gypsum and mulch well.
Oh...forgot to mention ...avoid using any chlorine bleach products..

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 7:27 PM

Barmera, Australia

G'Day,
Find out your average rainfall that will help in choosing plants. Cacti and most succulents are pretty reliable and any local native plants. Most natives will require some water to get them established. I think most washing detergents are OK, I've been using Spree for a couple of years and it has kept my lawn under the clothes line alive and a Goldmine Nectarine with no ill affects and the fruit is beautiful as Goldmine always are. Some of the plants from the WA goldfields tolerate a lot of dry and Eremophilas since most come from the less than 10" rainfall area and a lot from 5". If you want a "lawn" then Lippia will survive nicely on 10" rainfall.
Brian

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 7:00 PM

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 7:02 PM

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi Debi .
, I use BIO ZET washing powder it is grey water suitable every wash I move pipe to differant part of the lawn been using this brand over a year main thing dont store the grey water later I will show my set up have go out now pics. later.-----------Elaine.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Here Debi,this may be helpful http://www.acsgarden.com/articles/other-gardening/how-to-use-greywater.aspx

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi Debi I have a pipe thate I have the hose from w, machine feeding into it goes down to a lower roof then down to the lawn -it lays on the lawn as the water drains the lawn is watered I have extra lenghts of pipe can be joined so I can water where I need its a bodge job I set it up myself it can be put out of sight when I use the yard for BBQ's .......Elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Hey Guys,

ALL fantastic information and things I would not have thought off, like finding out the rainfall for that area....... great idea!

I also think the g'ment give you 6 native plants for free....... what would be the best to choose.

I will also look up W.A plants that survive.

You have all given me something to think about and I am very grateful.

If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate as I have never been in such a dry place.

Thank you my friends,

Debi & Gypsy (Dog)

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Barmera, Australia

Forgot to mention the "Pony Tail Palms" Beaucarnia or Nolina. The "Pony Tail" is in the blue tub. If others view this, the plastic cover at the back is the "Brug. Mansion" and some sort of weed in the foreground.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

Hi Guys,

I have found out the daily temps for more info on plants, good for my new area.

Max mostly 41 degree's celcius and Min mostly 9 degree's celcius. This is a dry, hot heat, at the moment there is only one tree in the middle of the back yard.

I am wondering if big pots would be a better option rather then gardens unfortunatly. At least I can put water dripper's in the pots???????

Debi

Alstonville, Australia

Hi Debi, when using terracotta pots you must seal the inside otherwise they dry out too quickly.
I use my grey water on lawns & flower gardens doesn't seem to be hurting them but I do use bio-degradable detergent.
Oleanders, Plumbago will grow well.

Alstonville, Australia

Debi, what about scarlet bottlebrush(callistemon macropunctatus), Sturt's desert rose, Hakea cinerea according to my book they are popular dry country plants.
Wish I could give you these pony tails, have no where to plant them out,

Thumbnail by hel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.