2009 Lily Seed Giveaway

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Due to minor back surgery at the end of September, I haven't been able to do much gardening outside, so I have a head start on my seed cleaning this year. Forthcoming is what I have to offer for anyone who wishes to try growing lilies from seed. It was a cold summer for me, and that has resulted in delayed seed development and relatively poor pollination. Some pods I don’t even think I can mature inside the house. The easy to grow seeds were hit hard in this respect this year. I have less to offer this season, but don’t let that stop your requests. I keep what I want, and the rest eventually gets thrown away if I can’t find a willing recipient.

All seeds have been candled to be best of my ability. Candling is the process of shining a light through the seed to determining the presence of a seed embryo.

D-mail me with your address and choices. I am not part of the DG address exchange. If you want seed sent in a bubble wrap envelope, send me one and postage to go with it. Otherwise, as is the custom with Lilium enthusiasts, seed will be sent between thin padding, ample to protect the thin papery seeds. No postage reimbursement is necessary, as it will cost the same as a regular letter.

Pics can be found here:
Lilium amabile http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6839069
Lilium davidii var. wilmottiae http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6839076
Lilium formosanum var. procei http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6839161
Lilium martagon ‘Claude Shride’ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6713070
Lilium martagon ‘Mrs. R. O. Backhouse’ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6739436
Lilium x ‘Super Tsing’
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6739609

Directions for sowing the two categories of seed I offer can be found here:
http://www.lilyregister.com/ldis/?q=node/265

Remember that resulting seedlings of named cultivars (here be ‘Claude Shride’, ‘Super Tsing’ and ‘Mrs. R. O. Backhouse’), are not exactly the same as their parents, and so cannot be designated as the same true cultivars. They must be referred to as: seedling of ‘Claude Shride’, etc.

Easy, Immediate epigeal Seed (Category #1)

Lilium davidii var. wilmottiae open pollinated with other hybrid lilies.

Lilium amabile - hand pollinated.

Lilium formosanum var. pricei - a dwarf for of the regular Lilium formosanum. My form only grows one foot high, and each plant has one or two flowers. But the flowers are larger in proportion to the plant than they are with the full size 6 foot species. This seed was open pollinated, but the only other lilies I have that bloomed at that time were very distantly relate. Any crossing would be extremely improbable. I have a ton of these seeds. Flowers in the second season.

More Challenging Delayed Hypogeal Seed (CAtegory #2)

Lilium martagon ‘Mrs. R. O. Backhouse’ - Since I have now grown these from scales, and see for myself the beauty of this flower, there is no wonder why this very old cultivar is still around. Yellow, spotted flowers that fade to whitish, and with pink hued petal backs. Simply exquisite. This seed was open pollinated with L. martagon ‘Amelita’, and/or was produced apomictically, which is a fancy word for vegetatively. This means that if there are apomictic seeds, the resulting plants from those seeds will be an exact copy of the mother (Mrs. R.O. Backhouse). Whichever the case, I can only see excellent flower possibilities for the progeny. I have quite a lot of this seed.

Lilium martagon ‘Claude Shride’ – Open pollinated with other martagon type lilies. Further reading has revealed that Claude Shride is almost too vigorous, in that its genes tend to overrun others. This means that however it was pollinated, the most probably result will be a seedling almost exactly like Claude Shride (the lily, not the person).

Lilium x ‘Super Tsing’ – Open pollinated with other martagon type lilies. ‘Super Tsing’ is already a cross of Lilium martagon and Lilium tsingtauense. Thus it will produce a wider array of variation within the seed lot than anything else I offer here (except the L. davidii cross).

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 1:03 PM

Fridley, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi,
I am interested in getting seeds of each of the lillies in your post if you have any left.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2009 7:55 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I would love to try some of your seeds. Mary

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sent you a d-mail!

Thanks - Kelly

Madison, MS

Hi

Sending a Dmail

Sue

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Received my seeds yesterday!

Thank you again!

Kelly

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

May I try the seeds??? Deb

I replied to your dmail, Depsi. Yes, I still have some.

Athens, PA

sent you a dmail....

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Me, too, please.
I sent you a d-mail.

Thanks

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I would also be intereste in some seeds. Dmail to you. Elaine

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

yahoo, my seeds of l. formosanum var. procei have germinated, lookie here. Thanks again, Rick.

Thumbnail by vossner
Orangeburg, SC

Is this offer still open? If so, I'm interested.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice job vossner! Those look awesome! That is one variety that can bloom the first year after starting from seed, which is very exciting for you dear.

I may have a few seeds left that are extra. Send me an email with your address. My Mom died day before yesterday, so it will be a while untill I get to it.

Rick

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So sorry to hear that, Lefty. I'll keep you in my thoughts ~

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Rick, sorry to hear about your Mom. My blessings and thoughts are with you.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Thoughts and prayers going your way. Take care.

Orangeburg, SC

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Please take care. I will send you a d-mail.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Rick,
Sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts in this time of need.

Marti

Thanks everyone. On the 'bright sides" (yes, even plural!): Mom wanted to be cremated, and her body donated to science. The University came and picked her up several hours after they got the call from us. And they will cremate and return to us her ashes for free! The down side is that will most likely be 12-18 months from now. Not a problem for us.

We had a meeting with her church to plan the memorial Mass and reception. Gosh, they are making it all so easy, taking care of literally all the details. We just pick what readings and songs we'd like. And except for the musicians, it's all a gift from the church! But we will "pay it forward" for the next bereavement.

Again, thanks all. Prayers are appreciated.
Rick

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear about your mom, Rick. Best wishes to you and your family.
Bev

Detroit, MI(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear about your Mother. It does sound, however, like things are going as well as can be hoped for.
On a brighter note, I discovered that at least two of the L. philadelphicum bulbs I planted last fall are reappearing, looking larger than they were when last seen, ( I covered them up since we had a good two weeks of unseasonably warm weather, and now it is cold again).
I understand that acupuncture is especially effective in helping healing after surgery.

Orangeburg, SC

Rick, I received my seeds in the mail yesterday. Thank you and I hope that time heals the hole in your heart. Take care.

Louisville, KY

Rick;

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You are one of the very bright spots here at DG.
you are in my thoughts tonight.

John

Thanks again, everyone, for your sympathy. Mom's memorial service and reception was last Thursday, and it could not have gone better.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Rick, on April 7th my godson/nephew was murdered by a drunk driver in CA....things got very chaotic as I drove to CA & stayed for 3 wks, got home to catch up on all things behind schedule....your seeds which are so lovingly packed have been on my counter since I received them with my full intentions of getting them going...Please forgive my late thank you, too....I will post pics as soon as they sprout....thank you again and please accept my long overdue condolences in the loss of your mother.....Deb

Oh my goodness, Deb! My sympathy goes out to you too! It's always nice to hear what results come from my seeds, but I never expect it. I don't think any of us can say that we have never "dropped the ball" with plant acquisitions. Certainly not me!

I hope everything has gone as well as it could have regarding your godson. It's never easy. The seeds should be fine for at least a couple years, if kept dry.

Rick

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

The trial continues.....she is in jail awaiting transfer to the looney bin as soon as they have an opening.....of course, she pleaded insanity so she gets to stay in the system until she is judged stable enough to take part in her defense . in the meantime, our family's grief never gets time to heal.....Bruce had been married April 20th in a beautiful ceremony in the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in downtown Sacramento, went for a two week honeymoon to Jamaica, got home, went back to work April 7th & was killed that first night back to work on his way home by this idiot who was "depressed"....he had been married 19days....the priest that married him, buried him......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.