Morning Glories 2009 #19

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044695/

These are blooms on Mauve Splash (Blizzard).

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Huge Sazanami blooms this morning!

Blue Dawn (I. indica) bloom today! The color of this bloom is a true deep blue. Very pretty color!

Pink Flaked I. purpurea blooming as the sun rises on them this morning.

I have two cultivars of Spanish Flag. This is the typical blooming SF with the red to light yellow blooms.

This other cultivar of Spanish Flag was labeled "Citronella". Not sure who these seeds were from...

You'll notice more pale yellow to orange on these blooms. No pollen on any of the blooms. :-/

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Love that Hige, Jackie, Helena that bloom you posted on last thread was awsome.. Becky I love your blooms outside, wish I cold grow flowers outside year round.. that lobata looks like mine ( first one) on the north fence.. it is still going crazy, since no freeze yet. I have a lobata growing in the basement ..here is Grey moorning mist from emma blooming this am on the buffet in the north window light

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is the link for the rivera corymbosa.. it is a syn. for turbina corymbosa
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53532/
strictocardia breavness ( spelling is not right) is also loving its new home..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms Becky.
Debra, Love the Gray Morning Mist.
Thanks for sending the link to
Rivera, syn Turbina corymbosa, a pretty little
morning glory.

I think I have a willow BAW.. I was saying goodnight to my garden down stairs, and found this little guy in a basket I had brought in...
There are some dead perilla leaves behind it.. I have cleaned them off since.. is it so cute?

Thumbnail by joeswife

a different shot, but not as colourful

Thumbnail by joeswife

welll pooie..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is a bud shot on the morning mist
it will be open in the am

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pretoria, South Africa

Becky, your "Mauve Splash" (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7173658) is to die for... as is your Sazanami (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7173684)

Elsa

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wow a nice new thread thanks

Helena - I love your dark solid chocolate from the previous thread! Yummy!

Debra, Debra, Debra ... I really, really love your basement greenroom!! (sigh) I so wished I had a whole room to grow my plants in! Very pretty little gray morning mist. I don't grow MGs outside year round. Usually, 3-4 months are too cold for them to thrive. But the other 9 months are definitely hopping with growth and blooms! Thanks for the link and info about the turbina corymbosa! Fascinating plant!!! Keep us posted on that one! :-)

And congrats! It sure does look like you got a Willow gene on the BAW!!! Whoo hoo!!! Dang ... I am batting zero on that gene! Glad everyone else is having such good luck getting a mutant vine! :-)

Thanks Jackie, Elsa, and James! :-)

I should have seeds to share of Mauve Splash. Sazanami though it another issue. I am crossing that vine with different pollen. The efforts seem futile. It is making very few seed pods. As long as it keeps blooming, I'll keep dusting with pollen from other vines! :-) Fingers crossed something starts happenin' with that vine very soon! :-) Only a few of the vines are blooming, the rest are winding down and dying back. Seed collection time now. :-)

Here is Blue Dawn (i. indica) this morning. It's got lots of buds on it and is now starting to produce some bloom flushes! The color of blue is such an interesting color. This is the true color that I see with my eyes! A very show-stopping blue!

Much to my surprise this morning, I saw this I. indica bloom that looks a bit different. You can bet I was using it's pollen to try to fertilize all the other blooms in the pot. Perhaps a different strain of I. indica?

And here is a close-up of that unique bloom. What do ya think? Different strain of I. indica or just a mutant bloom on the vines? The bloom wasn't quite as large either as the usual blooms.

I have some I. indica seeds from someone (possibly Antoinette). So will start those this Spring, too. I definitely want to get some seeds from those vines I have. They are perennials, not annuals. I have to grow them in a pot though, as I can't let them run amuck in my yard! I suspect they would be highly invasive. But they behave quite well in a container for me and the blooms make it worth the effort of growing this species of MG! :-)

I have some vines in my indoor windowsill pots (which have seed pods on them). The vines are not doing well, but I saw this bloom this morning. At first glance I thought it was a solid purple bloom. Upon closer inspection, I see all the speckles! This is a dark purple Fujishibori. I believe the seed came from A. Love the deep color and so many freckles! :-) The leaves look pathetic, but surprisingly, it had lots of pollen. So I made a little trip outside to the Sazanami blooms! LOL! I can only dream ... that such a cross would take! LOL!

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 12:13 PM

No school today, so am now heading out the door to do errands and then later do some gardening. Lots of weed-pulling for me this 3-day weekend. We have a cool front moving in and then temps should drop from the high 80's to the low 80's! Whoo Hoo! I am soooo done with this heat! :-)

The migratory hummingbirds are making their appearance in my yard, one bird at a time! LOL!

Melbourne, FL

I started a small area for some winter blooms a few weeks ago. I have a few blooms coming already. I planted seeds from mostly blue varieties here, since I did not have many in the spring and missed them.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Becky, love that purple lav speckled bloom...
Hey thats my hummer! YAY! ( i can dream, right?)
Gardenpom, love those rows.. they look really good there.

gardenpom - Whoa! That looks great! I am impressed you've gotten so many to sprout in the Fall. Of course, our weather here has been like summer! LOL! I look forward to the bloom photos of your new vines! :-)

Debra - I bet that male hummer WAS your birdie! LOL! He came by to say Hi to me from you! :-)

Thanks! I love that deep purple Fujishibori bloom, too! I keep nursing along all the baby vines in my windowsill hoping for more blooms and then seed pods! LOL! I must admit, I have had very good luck getting seeds from any I grow indoors. So I will be growing more. Hoping to get seeds from many of the unusual cultivars to share around with everyone! :-) I wanna see these vines and blooms in everyone's yard next Spring/Summer! :-)

Lovely dark indica Becky. Hope your
cross takes.

szarvas, Hungary

WOW becky, your indica is THE blue I like .

What would you think of that exchange - I send you a cutting of indica Edith Piaf.
This has never been tried ,crossing the ocean took 10 days . I think it is some chance of success.
Maybe a cutting " pre-rooted " in water, minimizing the feuillage.Posted very early in the week.

Thank you, Jackie! Me, too! :-)

I had more blooms on the I. indica today and once again another odd color bloom. And of course I am dusting the pollen around in hopes ...

dany - Sounds like an interesting proposition. :-) It was suggested to me to use a "blue glass" vase to root cuttings in. Supposedly, the blue lighting on the stems helps promote roots quicker and more successfully. I am currrently trying to find a vase that is blue and then I will see how cuttings do! :-)

BTW - Is this the gray MG that you are referring to that Joseph is selling?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Morning-Glory-Grey-Red-Tube-Picotee-seeds_W0QQitemZ170395498620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ac5cf87c

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Becky, I have a moonvine I brought in the house.
It was limp from coold wind blowing on it, so
I cut it back and stuck into larger pot ( roots were coming out)
hope it will perk up and be o.k. Looks good in the center
Think she will make it?
Chareen

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Charleen - Looks good to me! Make sure it gets plenty of light. :-)

I think I will start a thread on indoor winter gardening, so that we can all see how everyone's plants are doing! Maybe it will inspire others to try indoor gardening, too! Debra gets the prize for the best room set-up so far! :-) I want a basement here in Florida! LOL!

Wish I had a basement too,
YES. It would be wonderful, because I believe Winter is getting here fast.
We need to play in the dirt even in the winter. You got me convinced to giveit a try,
so here goes, garden buddy, first time I ever grew a Moonvine in the House.
She is perking up, so I think she is going to make it.
Thanks,
Charleen

Charlene I too have some on vines growing, and I do think if you put that in a window, you will see good growth.

Lobata is still blooming inside and out.. I have been collecting seed pods ..

Thumbnail by joeswife

it's looking considerable better this AM. Yes, that is
what I am going to do. Put it in my kitchen window.
thanks Debra.
Charleen

Becky, one thing I have found is a small cutting vase works really well if there is some sponge cut and inserted to keep the stems against the glass semi above the water line has been working for me. ( for cuttings) I had stuck the off shoot of a Peach Versi into the cup holding I. Lind just wishful thinking. it was pressed into the side against the plastic. it got watered when the I. lind did , now I have three rooted peach versi babies, and a nice fat caudex root from I.Lind. I have no clue what it will do, but i raised it up about an inch, and now the cup I planted in December is holding that tuber and a brug. only three good seed pods from I. Lind, but that is three more than I ever expected. my daughters have been coming to visit me with assorted cutting and flower vases from the goodwill stores and the second hand stores. I think I am going to cotinue collecting small vases , in particular double holds.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 10:07 PM

Debra - I LOVE your lobata! They are one of my favorites! So cool that yours are still blooming.

We had a cool front move through this weekend. Low 50's at night and low 70's during the day. It is soooo nice! Unfortunately, the temps are projected to climb back into the high 80's by the end of the week! LOL! I'm sure enjoying it now though, even if it is just temporary. But I do believe that Fall has arrived here in my area! Yay! :-)

Charleen - Can't wait to see some blooms on your moonvine! :-) I use Bloom Booster even during the winter months on my indoor grow-outs! :-) I have my small group of vines growing in a sunny south window right now and they did well last winter in that location for me! :-)

Debra - Thanks for that information. I will definitely try that as well to see what happens. Don't ya just love experiments? :-) Somewhere I read on the internet that blue glass promotes roots on cuttings better than any other color of glass vase. I found a nice size blue glass vase at Walmart last night for $3. :-) My kinda bargain. And I will probably hit some of the local thrift stores to see what else I can find for cheap! One person's trash, is another person's treasure! :-)

I love the blue glass, I have several that have been given to me from Pauline, one is about three foot tall, scallopped and has a lower front lip of at least ten icnhes lower than the rst of the vase, a wonderful idea I think. I have been using that one outside all summer for cuttings and arrangements, and now it holds stems of cuttings..in the Pink bedroom.. I think of Pauline alot when I go in there since all the furniture came from her in there. The lobata on the north fence has pods and I am going to leave it go until the freeze warning, then cut it to make more cuttings. It seems to root easily from the thicker woody stems ...

It was supposed to get down to 38 or so here last night.
When temps drop that low they could miss it and it could go below
freezing so I finished toting all my plants back to the ghouse. What was
really bad was having to g house my mg vines I'm waiting on for sds.
This crazy, early, cold weather slowed seed production. Ordinarily
I would have finished gathering sds on all my glories.
I've made just the first of what will be numerous boo-boo's gathering
seeds. Found a stash in my pocket and don't have a clue. lol
Every yr I end up with 3 or 4 pkt's marked un-known.

Fuji no Sora, one of my favorites

Thumbnail by patootie

Have it as a surprise pkt. Let no seed go wasted.
That is a beautiful blue , white sets it off.
charleen

love that no sora, Jackie.. and hey, I have hundreds of unknown noid mg and jmg seeds because I did my collecting early from the tags and now they are all over the place ( the ones since then) I am just calling them i. prup mix, and jmg mix with what I know they are in the mix title .

Thanks Charlene and Debra.
Debra, At least you know if your's are Purps or Nils. :-)
I may start one of each unknown pkt so I can finally id them.
Should be fun.

Sometimes, not knowing
adds to te enjoyment.
HUH????^_^
Charleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.