Hardy Hibby Seed Trade

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi There,
I have seeds from Dixie Belle, light pink, Plum Crazy, dark burgundy, Texas White Star, Red Hibiscus available if anyone would like to trade. I have Luna, Lord Baltimore, and Turn of the Century also , but they are new this year and haven't collected any seed from them. I would be interested in Peach, Salmon, Striped, any purples, etc. Dmail me if you are interested. I have enough to trade with maybe 5 people so if you want to trade, let me know asap.
Thank you, Mechelle

Thumbnail by MechelleT

How tall are plum crazy and dixie belle? I have several of the varieties you have mentioned and am looking for the disco belle varieties that grow only 4 ft. at the tallest. I do have some Lady Baltimore seeds to trade.

Bubba1

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Bubba,
I would say that either of them grow from 36"- 48" .. My Disco Belle is at least 4 ft tall and still doing well here in my zone. The Plum Crazy, I just receieved a plant, so I am not sure about how tall itwill get. According to the DG Plant Files, it gets up to 4' tall. I am not so sure how good my seeds are - They were traded to me and when I went to open them, there were a lot of bugs inside chomping away at them. I kept them anyway and will probably try to grow them myself, but you are welcome to check with me next year on more seeds of those.

I have plenty of the Dixie Belle for trade. I would be happy to trade you some Dixie Belle for some of the Lady Baltimore. Just dmail me your address and I will get them out to you. Thanks, Mechelle

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

How are you germinating] your seeds. Have had no success. I would appreciate your expertise.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I am doing it the old fashioned way- seed starter in a south facing windowsill, bottom watering, just put a grow light on them at night. The soil I use is just regular potting soil mixed with peat moss and a little perlite. The peat moss I like because it let's you know the soil is dry by the change of color. You can just tell when it's dry. I add about an inch of water in the bottom tray only when it needs it. I am no seed expert by any means. There are a million different ways people do it. This just seems to be what works for me.
I've also been told that if you sprinkle a little cinnamon on the soil, it keeps it from getting moldy. Bottom watering is really the key I think. I also learnd that you don't need to add anything special to your soil such as fertilizer. Some seeds require soaking depending on how thick the coating is. Hibiscus seeds seem to be very easy and don't require a lot of work or extra pampering.
There are many seeds that require stratification (refrigerating) for a period of time. You can also add a little H202 (hydrogen peroxide) to the water that you soak your seeds in to speed up the germination time on some of those harder to germ seeds such as Canna, Dayliliy, Morning Glory, etc. H202 is found in natural rain water so I guess it makes sense that would work.
Some seeds you just need to knick with a knife or nail file. If you go look in some of the seed trading or seed germinating forums you can see what I mean by different ideas and ways to germ your seeds. Or come join my "group" over here and ask away. The girls and I are always ready to help. We have a lot of fun projects and things we do such as lasagna bed gardening, Brugmansia seed sprout offs, and trading. You can really learn a lot from some of them. We post pictures and share information back and forth. Here is the link to our forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047751/ It's called newbies, chit chat, and seed junkie forum. Hope that helps ;-)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

skwinter -- I've had success germinating hardy hib seeds by nicking them, soaking overnight in warm water, then placing them on a wet (not dripping; just moist) paper towel. I only fold it over the seeds once, then place the wet paper towel and seeds inside a ziploc bag, propped open for ventilation, and place them on top of my cable box, as it stays consistently warm. I checked it daily to ensure it didn't dry out, and if it was a bit dry, just put one-two sprays of water in the baggies. I now have 11 hibs growing in a small seed greenhouse tray from this method. Once I saw they germinated (couple days), I moved them into the seed greenhouse tray indoors by a sunny window, and I keep a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray to encourage root growth. So far, so good. They're about 3 inches tall with 3 leaves a piece (about 3 weeks old).

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

That's awesome jlj.. I will have to try that!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I read about it somewhere, someone else can claim the idea. I just used it, and it worked great!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you everyone who replied. All seeds are now spoken for. Mechelle

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

jij072474. Oh my you are younger than my children. So glad you are paying attention to us gardeners. Your technique sound great. I have a large amount of seeds in the freezer. Someone thought here in the SW they needed to be frozen. I will gladly try your idea or whoever method and give you an update. Thank you so much and have a great Sunday. Thank everyone else. I will probably try all ideas and see what one works. I will let you know.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

How young are you then jlj072474.
I am 29 and I am a member of several gardening and/or flower communities here in The Netherlands and everywhere I am the youngest. hihi. Would be nice not being that anymore!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, the "072174" portion of my username is my birthdate, so unfortunately, Lee, you will need to retain that "youngest gardener" title for a bit longer. :-)

SKWinter -- I did read that it's helpful to freeze the seeds for a week or two before planting them, or maybe that was to kill off the weevils (which I've become quite familiar with in the hib seeds). Either way, I wish you much success. I'm hoping for a yard full of hardy hibs for next summer, and plan to start them indoors to get them going and hopefully increase my chances for success, as well.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

haha. I am sure I won't be in a few years!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

nope i have ya beat I'm only 27... However i "garden" but not quite sure i have enough experience and skills to call myself a "gardener"
jen

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

oh Bull hockey Jen your plenty proficient enough with gardening, we just need to get you a better house with more windows and yard so we can get you truly addicted! and I can send you some houseplants...LOL

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

no, no i dont need more windows, I need more things in front of them to put pots on lol... i have 18 plants indoors right now, hubby would kill me if i had anymore lol.. We would have to start moving out furniture.. lol i have a double lot its one of the biggest on the block, but yes i could still use more...The next garden going in is the patch beside the driveway thats 50 feet long.. I think its about 30 inch deep, that will be very nice next spring... last year hubby said no keep it grass, but some how is just slipped my mind to water it all summer and it was brown.. Hubby now said cause grass wont grow there i can have it lol.. I forgot to tell him i never watered it... :)
jen

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Funny how we have to use trickery to get what we want when it comes to gardening >:-) hehe .. I was told that the yard was mine and our stocked pond was his and I was not to plant any flowers. ahem, whatever.. lol The darn pond is about maybe an acre and has nothing around it but dirt and weeds he never mows.. The fish won't mind right? lol

So one day he came outside looking for me as I was planting around the outer perimeter of the pond (it's about 15 ft back from the waterline) I did a Louisiana Iris bed, Crocosmia bed, and 2 TB Iris beds. He then said " I thought you weren't going to plant around the pond" as I was walking away pulling my wheelbarrow behind me I shrugged my shoulders and said " Well I wasn't going to but I needed somewhere to put these and it will be so beautiful" He agreed and smiled at what I did and that was that!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

mechelle do you have any of the turn of the century left? and white texas star? do you have cuttings? i have a peppermint schnapps plant if you want to trade your seeds for that. i have a few of those other hibs but no seeds. sorry.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

Yes YES YES. Not the youngest! I am glad you beat me Jen! haha.
I also have too little room in front of my windows.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi mamajack!
I have one Turn of the Century.. it's young still and is dormant right now. I will be happy to share with you when it gets bigger. I do have 4 of the White Texas Star that I started from seeds myself. They are almost big enough to transplant into bigger pots. I could send you one of them for one of your Peppermint Schnapps. I also have Red Texas Star that I have grown from seed. I started them the same day so may have one of those ready for you in a few weeks too. Just dmail me and I will put you in the trade tracker so I know I owe it to you and will get them out when they're ready. ;-) Thank you! Mechelle

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Mechelle -- what is a "trade tracker"? Is that a feature here on DG, or something you keep track of yourself? I need to make a point of going through my dmails tonight because I feel like I forgot to send someone something, and I'd hate it if I did that. :(

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

tradetracker is a feature on DG, its great you can mark them once you send them and again when you receive them.. I use it all the time and find it really helps keep me up to date

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

mechelle i would take a white tx. star. how big are yours? i rooted mine just this year. it's been in a pot for a couple months and i haven't fooled with it to know what the roots look like. let me get back.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi jlj, yes, Trade Tracker is a feature on DG lke smurf said. You enter the person's member name and if they are in the address exchange, their info automatically comes up. You type what you are sending them and what they are sending you and you mark "sent" when yyou send and "received" when you receive. I like that you can print it out when you are getting ready to ship. You have the name, address and plants to send list all right there. I had a book I started and that is too much work. Trade Tracker is much easier.

Hi mamajack, I just took them from the seed starter pods and transplanted them into gallon pots and have them under grow lights. They are about 3 inches tall. Here's a pic

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

mechelle would you be interested in trading when those get a little taller? i could even wait till jan./feb.? i can send now. i think....still haven't checked the roots on my plants.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi mama, yes, I can do that for you. What did you want to trade for it? Dmail me ;-)

Here is my tried and true method that I use for germinating Hibiscus, and all flower seeds. Will even sprout seeds that are several years old. My Hibiscus seeds sprouting with this method. They were leftover from a Parks Seeds purchased in 2004.

Toss any Hibiscus seeds away that have a hole in it. The seed has been eaten by a weevil. The hole is the exit from which it left once it has eaten.

Freezing seeds don't accomplish anything. Plus Hibiscus seeds do not need it. For other varieties, cold temps without moisture don't work. Nature always provide both for seeds to germinate.

For hardcoated seeds like Hibiscus, chip the seed coat to allow moisture to penetrate, then soak overnight in hand hot water. Allow to cool naturally.

Cut a kitchen paper towel in half. Wet it and squeeze out excess. You want it damp, not wet. Fold the towel in 1/2 , fold in 1/2 again. Place seeds in a corner. Fold one end over the seeds. You will have a square. Place this in a ziplock baggie, zip it but leave room for you to blow it up like a balloon, then quickly close it. The air will stay if the track are lined up correctly on the bag. This allows the seeds to "breathe", rather than have the plastic laying on the package. Place the baggie in a warm spot, like top of a refrigerator.

(If your seeds are hardy perennials that need stratification, place in the fridge for at least 3 weeks, then in room temp).

Beginning on the second day, check every day for germination. It can happen quickly over night. When you see radicals (roots) develop they have germinated and ready to be planted and grow. Pick the seeds up with a tweezer, holding it by the seed shell. Make a hole in the sowing mix with a pencil and gently guide the seed into it. Make sure that when you plant the sprouted seeds that the roots are placed downwards in the soil. If directions state depth of seeds, then place the sprouting seed likewise. If surface sow is recommended, just tuck in level with the soil. On the other hand, if there is some green growth, place it so that is above the soil. Sometimes seeds will "sprout" at both ends--meaning both roots and leaf growth.

If roots are entangled in the paper towel, tear the towel off around the roots and plant both. You don't want to lose any roots. The towel will rot in the soil.

This is a great method to use to avoid wasting seeds. If you want 6 plants, use 8 seeds to allow for possible loss. I plant the seedlings in seeding mix, spacing no less than 1-1/2" apart. They grow quickly once planted.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 9:48 PM

Oops! I forgot to include the photo of the germinated seeds. The photo was taken while the seeds were still in the paper towel, just prior to planting. These Hibiscus seeds sprouted in 2 days using the above method.

Thumbnail by
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Your seeds are so much bigger than my seeds.....

skywinter, Mine are hybrids H. 'Disco Bell'. If yours are smaller, they many be from a wild variety that is not a hybrid. Those seeds are usually smaller. I read that in one of the threads on Hibiscus. If too small to nick, then don't. Just soak them.

Below is the same variety that I sowed in 2006. I got one to germinate in soil. Looks like 'Lunar Blush' but it came from a commercial package of mixed colors. Photo taken Sept 21, 09 and 3 days before first frost.

Thumbnail by

Closeup

Thumbnail by
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Very pretty blomma and thank you so much for the info. I have some Lady Baltimore seeds I will try your method with. Will let you know how they do.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I nicked and soaked some more hardies over night yesterday then laid them on soil last night two have roots today.. (I put them in my fish tank it works like a green house) These are luna red.. Also have got Lady baltimore, may grande, Pink disco belle, luna rose, Anne arundel, and carafe grenache that i started last week and those are about 1" tall.. I think if you follow the nick, soak and put in a paper towel in a baggy then these are very easy seeds to get to grow.. I have an addiction to these hardies and to buy them all at $15 plus a plant that would add up very quick.. Seeds just seem like the better option for me..
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am going to start another batch of seeds. I am going to use my cuticle clippers because hey are sharp and smaller. I am going to hold the seed with my forth hand.....LOL. Have not figured that out yet. Wish me luck. Smurf, you are so right. I had one order from Plants Delight that was over $200.00. I just sing Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday to me year 2020.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ya there pricey not that there not worth the price.. its just I have a patch thats 50 feet along my drive way that i would like to put some in there, and well for say 10 plants that would really add up.. My mom also loves them so maybe mothers day gift could come from these planted... I have taken a few cuttings from the ones i had and one rooted, so I could go that route, however I only have 2 plants... I was hoping for a bunch of plants that were all different in some way.. And to top it all off i'm in canada and theres nothing to do here once it snows and gardening for me in the winter is taking care of the few plants i have indoors and seed starting... keeps me hoping for spring
jen

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am not having luck with seeds or cutting but it is my first yer and I WILL SUCCEED. That has been my motto for many, many years. When I have seeds or cutting from my new purchases, I will share.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

skwinter how are you starting seeds or cuttings.. Its my first year with hardies too and I got them to go.. Maybe someone can help you out on your process... Wish you the best

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Actually all the experts on this forum have been great. I think maybe it is my seed. I froze them for 8 weeks. But I have a new batch soaking and I have my new gardening heating pads waiting. My cutting are so/so. I think I have two that rooted which is amazing because I did everything wrong.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I had one i think i took a cutting from before it froze i think in sept maybe even back to aug.. It just rooted a few weeks ago.. I almost tossed it out thinking it wasn't going to but it was still green so i though what the hay... Once it did i was glad i took 2 cuttings from my other one before the frost but that was more like begining of october.. its getting leaves all over but no roots yet.. I just figured it would die off anyways so why not try.. I dont know the time frame these take to root but I think its a really long time... I guess its like when the plant starts in the spring almost summer.. People say once you think its dead and go buy something to replace it in its spot it will then start to grow.. Maybe cuttings are the same.. Once you think its time to toss them out, wait a week and roots lol

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I am going to start 6 Lady Baltimore seeds tonight using the paper towel method above. Will share pics and results ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.