Why are coneflowers, hydrangeas, and hibiscuses targeted?

Hot Springs Village, AR(Zone 7b)

We have dozens and dozens of different kinds of plants in our yard, but only a few get badly chewed up -- the ones mentioned in the Subject line and 1 or 2 others. Is there something special about these plants which attracts chewers?

Thumbnail by nford
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Cuz that's just the way it is - in your yard. In mine, I might have other complaints. But what I do is eliminate those plants that seem to be over attractive to insects and fungi.

Hot Springs Village, AR(Zone 7b)

ceejaytown - When we lived in Houston for 20+ years, I was more concerned about the mosquitoes chewing me up than the bugs chewing up my plants. When we retired, we looked around The Woodlands and north around Lake Conroe (Bentwater), but ended up in Arkansas. We traded mosquitoes for chiggers (and copperheads). At least it doesn't flood here whenever there's a heavy dew like it does in Houston. They also don't know what "rush-hour traffic" is here -- fewer people in all of Arkansas than in the Houston metropolitan area.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

What can I say - I love it here. Born and raised in the midwest, we started our married life in Houston, then to Denver, Edmond, OK (near OKC), and back down to The Woodlands (for 17 years now). Retired now and could live anywhere, and here we stay. And we loved Denver and Edmond!

I remember a visit to Branson, where I encountered no see-ums. Every place has some drawback. The worst mosquitoes I've ever encountered were in Minnesota!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.