stupid weather!

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

i still have a ton of yard work to do before winter comes but it seems winter is already here.weeding ,mulching ,transplanting,i painted some nice pieces of fencing i wanted to stick in the ground.it's gotta get nice again right :)?
i made this garden a little bigger,old pic.

Thumbnail by queenbeez

but a least i got the other 2 gardens done.did all this in one year.

Thumbnail by queenbeez
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a shame we're getting such a cold fall, but you look like you're ahead of the game. I can't seem to get out to my gardens to clean them up. I will be sorry in the spring.

Monticello, MN

Just want to say "Hi" to some Upper Midwest gardeners - I do not clean my gardens in the Fall - thinking that the old growth will give some insulation - so I do have to work in the Spring
Queenbeez - you have really been working - I like all of the textures that you have - those gardens should be beautiful when they get a little mature. I,too, had loads of dreams of new gardens after I visited a friend in WA who has huge mature gardens -so- came home with big plans and now my yard has one garden
temporarily planted and 2 others just bare ground am excited about planting in the Spring
You are a year ahead of me and will be able to enjoy

thankyou,yea i cant wait for the gardens to mature.the birds already ate all the berries on the viburnum's and elderberries.the dogwoods still are producing berries.when these bush's get bigger they will be able to have a feast.i seen my first oriel and cedar waxwing :) next year i will be making the front yard look nice.

Monticello, MN

I have some crabapple trees that have very small apples (more like teeny) It is always entertaining to watch the robins come to feast on
fermenting apples - they become quite intoxicated -
cedar waxwings are wonderful to have I used to have a huge flock that frequented my yard but that was when I had a buckthorn hedge
they loved those berries - well I found out that they were illegal to plant - so stripped them out - guess they become very invasive with the bird droppings - sad about missing the waxwings but those berries were dropped all over my yard also and they have very long tap root!
I have since planted serviceberry bushes and trees and the birds eat those berries before they are even ripe.
So I hear the weather is suppose to warm up - so any yard work can get done - I think Mother Nature just gave us a warning to get off our butts
and get movin'

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

So far, this has been one of the coldest Octobers on record, and wet, too. Afraid it's going to be just like last year when it was impossible to get anything done outside.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You know guys I save MOST of my garden cleanup for spring any way. Once the temps are beginning to hover in the mid 30.s and there's sun I go out and start cutting things back and leave it lay where they fall. Then by the end of April I rake it all out and do real good cutting back once new growth has appeared. It helps them catch the snow for winter mulch and helps them winter over better. Beside by the end of March April I am dying to get outside and work................ It all comes out in the wash and I haven't really lost anything to winter temp-s.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.