First Bloom

Louisville, KY

This is the first bloom from the seeds I planted last year. I was surprised that ity bloomed that quickly.

The bloom is small compared to other large flowered clems. I am not sure if that is genetics or just that it bloomed while the plant itself is quite small. Needless I am happy with it ... and looking to the bloom of the 30 to 50 I have planted out. I suspect that will not be until next spring

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

This is the seed parent from a couple of years ago .

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Terrific! Were they seeds you took from your own clematis seed heads?

Louisville, KY

Yes , I collected the seeds from the clem above...I am amazed at the difference in color between "mamma " and "baby"

John

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You make it too tempting. I saw a seed head on Nelly Moser today so I'll go out now and get it. How long did the seeds take to germinate? Thanks for your help, John.

Louisville, KY

Pirl I just updated my post from last March as to what I did with the clematis seeds.

I am doing it again this year with some other clems from my garden.

John

Baton Rouge, LA

John, thanks for the inspiration. I think I'll be giving this a try on a few of mine as well. We'll be putting in a greenhouse soon, so I'll finally have a good spot for seed germination. Again, thanks!

Louisville, KY

Its great fun. Good luck to you . I hope the question for all of us is....Now where am I going to put all these clems.

And do keep us posted and also pics of new green house.

John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.