D's Road back to Recovery

Winnsboro, TX

Hey Dee, how about posting something each day as to how your feeling and how the recovery from surgery is going?
Hope you and your hubby are having a good week. Love Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
South Hamilton, MA

Good to be on the positive side. Hope that Dee & the quilt are in good shape. I haven't checked the iris plants in a couple of weeks. Too cold out there.

Lebanon, OR

It is raining tonight but to get down in the upper 20's again tonight.

Got three pieces on the quilt as I am used to working with really small pieces and the center if quite large.

PT going well, feeling pretty good. See surgeon tomorrow for first recheck. PT to come out either T or F.

D

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

D, you go girl. You are being so good. You were so cleaver to schedule your surgery just before the frost. You are paying attention. My DS had surgery and he asked the doctor what can I do? If it hurts, do not do it. Our lows are still in the high 50s. Maybe you should bring your quilt and sit in the southwest desert sun and enjoy yourself. DH could come and hand you your supplies. We only get in the low 30s in February. The only bad part is my loving DH cannot hear and loves sports. So all you would hear is baseball playoffs pro football. college football and, of course, Nascar. I just get lost on DG and do not hear it. Of course, I think my purple ear plugs to help. LOL.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am here too D! So glad you are getting better!

Susan
=^..^=

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Glad you're doing well. Prayers being said.

Lebanon, OR

Thank you all, one of the biggest problems for me is I am not used to sitting and that is hard on my bottom and my back so getting up and down more and yes it is allowed

D

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Still here thinking of you and still praying. HUGS BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
South Hamilton, MA

Dee--use a pillow (small) on the chair. I put one on my exercise bike. I have done that since the beginning. ouch, ouch, ouch.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Dee so glad it has gone so well. Need you back in the garden in the spring so keep healing. I know you have lots of pictures to share this winter so that will help keep you off that knee.
Love Steph

Spicer, MN

I've always known that there is nothing 'gooder' than a good friend! You are so blessed! They are all around you Dee, because you have been there for them. God Bless!

Tomah, WI

I am so glad to hear things are going well. Just goes to show, you can't keep a good woman down!

Winnsboro, TX

Oh wow, I'm so glad your doing so well .By the time spring and summer gets here you should be good as new.
Please post a picture of how the pieces of your quilt are coming together!!! love Ya, Marian

Lebanon, OR

Well on the quilt I am used to doing tiny pieces and right now these are very large pieces so once I get about 6-7 pieces on I will post a picture on piece 3 now.

D

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm still hanging around on here and wishing you the best, as well as praying for your speedy recovery.

Cathy

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Had a beautiful day here. Temp was 87 and my niece brought over her 10 week old daughter for me to babysit. That is something new. My youngest is 45 and was never allowed around their children because they were different than any other children I had ever seen. LOL. Well this sweet child slept for 4m1/2 hours while her mother was at the doctor. I had her in a stroller and moved her from room to room and got all the work done in the house. Only got out in the garden about 3pm after they left. Did not get all I needed to get done but did make a dent. Had a major break in the irrigation line in my winter veg garden. At least the gardeners were still in the area and I did not have to fix it. They fixed it last time and jerry rigged it and that is the reason it failed. Of course it blew out my radishes, lima beans and turnips. This is my passion so it is my problem. I have cutting to get into pots, spring flowers to get into the landscape and why. Because I love it. Everyone have a great day on Friday. God bless you all.

Lebanon, OR

Well I can only go out on the patio! as still no uneven ground yet.

I can put 90% of my weight on my leg and do most of the exercises but the thrill for me, was getting to lay and sit on the floor!

Got 3 pieces on the quilt and tomorrow should thru 9 and if I do I will take a picture so you can see the small piece. I have always done tiny pieces and these are large, LARGE pieces and they take longer and you have a harder time keeping them flat...

D

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

D, you and your DH could come to Vegas for Rehab Nothing to do but sit in the sun and listen to my very very little birds that just showed up. I have not identified them yet but they are adorable. I do not know know much about quilting but you can teach me. My DH could teach your DH how to do sports betting. Be well, smile and have a great weekend. When you get up in the morning and you are ready to meet the world, look yourself in the mirror, wink, and say you go girl..,.It will make you laugh, smile and have a wonderful day...,You are not that far from Las Vegas.We are actually a normal city as long as you do not enter the strip area, which we do not. I bet you could get a write off for your medical taxes going to a warmer climate to get better. Just need a note from your doctor. I am sure I could give you a daily receipt from the Winter's Winter Spa. Or you could just com,e down with DH and enjoy the warmth, free days and a very relaxed life. No acres that need anything done. Just give it a thought. We have a great home, a wonderful guest bedroom with separate entrance and bath. We have two cars so you could use one of our cars or we could go together., I have lived here since 1960 and have never seen the Grand Canyon or Sedona. . Great views in Utah just about 2 hours drive away.

You can stay there and do your quilts or come on down here and have a great time.

South Hamilton, MA

Dee I am assuming the quilt is horizontal when being worked on? If so you could put a book of something heavy on the larger piece to keep it flat. If the quilt is vertical or on a slant, I have no ideas. Off to Ohio --have packed my quilted vest as we are supposed to go to a HS football game. Maybe it will rain so the band won't play & we won't go.

Lebanon, OR

skwinter since you promised we would NOT have to go near the strip is temptiding, as my honey and Igo will NEVER go there again. Neither are gamblers and even tho we love the shows they are not inexpensive and I was told that there are some great fabric/quilt shops out there. The sun sounds wonderful but right now can not drive or ride for more than an hour. You do not know how tempting this all sounds. When we went to LV last time in 2007 we spent 3 days doing the strip and the other 4 days all over exploring everything from candy to gardens to the dam!

Thanks Lucy most of the time I have a magazine on my lap to do the large pieces. I get to 6 smaller pieces next so that will make th ose go faster, I just want all the big leaves done so I can do the buds, iris and beards.

Friend brought a pattern for a lite halloween tree with cat, moon, witch, pumpkins etc and then my daughter saw the christmas tree and wants one of those and now my DIL thinks she needs one too since Maggi fell in love it, Maryann thinks she will too:) so before next halloween I need to get one Halloween tree and one lite christmas tree done as well.

Also was sent a link by another friend on a witch that can be done in a quilt circle or straight in line...

Can you tell I like those two holidays well.

D

Stronger and better each day but trust me still listening to PT and doc and doing only what they say I can...

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wish I had a space ship to pick you and DH and move you down here in quick time. I have not been on the strip for many many years. Now the 5 star restaurants and chefs have moved in and if you had dinner for 4 it will cost over $800.00. But we do have great weather, great wonderful national sites in Utah, and upper Nevada that you would not believe. Just wish you could ride in a SUV and we could see the SW. Just let me know. I hope to be here for another 20 years. Of course, then I would be close to 90. I think then we would need a driver because my DH would be 98. Just wish you a great fun recovery and I read today if you laugh everyday you live longer. Throw in a Thank you daily, you live even longer. Have a great weekend. We are 91 degrees tomorrow and I have so much to do I will probably wake up at 3am worrying about it.

Lebanon, OR

I, too wish we had a time machine, so we could come down since both of now have metal in the old bodies, I am now a senior citizen and my honey is 80. This has been hard on him, besides his own health, he has never seen me in pain, as I hide it from him and family almost all the time.

Before 07 the last time we were down on the strip was before any of the big hotels were built! back in the 70 maybe. Do not want to go to the strip ever again. I want to see the beauty as each state so much beauty for us to see. I am blessed as we have been in about 35 states total.

Take care all, I am doing tracing for reference of numbers then I will be able to sew a little faster, got 1 thru 8 done and that is two big leaves and two buds...

D

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

hi dee! glad to read you're recovery is uneventful and speedy. thinking about you.

please post a picture of the quilt as it's coming along.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

D you are sending me that quilt aren't you. I was sure you said you were LOL

Lebanon, OR

LOL is right, someday will be my daughters I think, but I think she really likes the other one better. Son likes the stack and whack which to date is the one I like the least.

I will post a picture of it tomorrow remember it is a big piece the main piece in the quilt and the leaves are HUGE and have been harder than any tiny piece could be trust me

D

Winnsboro, TX

Oh I can't wait to see how the quilt is coming along. I know we're all going to be watching this project until it comes full circle or I guess I should say King Size Birth. LOL I'm drooling just thinking about it. The best thing about this quilt is that each stich will be done with love and it will be blooming for years and years non stop.

Rebloom maybe we should get us a pattern and start our own Iris Quilt. Just think about it, we would be surrounded by our irises each time we went into the bedroom. We wouldn't have to weed it, fertilize, dig, and so forth. Ahhhh, maybe you should make one for yourself 1st for practice and then by the time your finished with that one you have everything down pat and you can make me one. LOL Sounds good to me!!! I'd try to get Dee to make us both one but I just don't think that would fly. (grin)

I guess we'll just have to blow some of her photos up and hang them in our bedrooms or use them for wallpaper on our computers. How bout Dee, can we use the photos of your quilt that you post here???? I think that will be the closest any of us get to having one.

Hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend!!! This is the first day in FOREVER that it has not been raining here. The sun was out and it was a glorious day. I went to our grandsons football game this morning and then worked out in the yard ALL DAY!!! It was wonderful to get my hands in the dirt (mud sometimes) and play with the plants, mulch, bricks, and I even enjoyed pulling weeds for several hours. It just did me a world of good to get out in the SUN!!

Hugs all the way around and happy gardening, Marian

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Hey D, I am 67 and my DH is 76 so we are close. We all have wearing down parts but you two are a fighter and so are we. Maybe we need to have an Iris Roundup near your home front so you did not have far to go. Someone in DG could come get you two. Come on you DG guys, lets get this going. We could drive and have a blast, steal her quilt and help D and her DH. Just give it some thought. Love to all of you.

Lebanon, OR

Wishful dreaming. Got more on the quilt done so sometime today I will take a picture, now DO NOT expect much because as I said I am used to tiny pieces and the leaves on this is about 16" long...I do have two leaves and 2 buds and hopefully by photo time will have one or two stems and maybe the start of the iris.

I am not sure I will put the hummer, butterfly on the biggest panel as there is nothing I can find in material or already printed that I like, but then on the sides I will. On there someplace will be a GOOD WORM LUCY, and either a dragon fly or praying manthis...

So most of Sat was spent with ice, quilting, no exercise, not much walking, and taking really good care of me
D

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Marian I am not good with a Needle. My SIL is into quit making and maybe this would be a good thing to mention to her that I would love. Don't know if she would but I could try.
My attempts will never equal yours Dee but that is wonderful you are enjoying this. I love the idea of the Dragonfly as I love them. Good Worm Lucy sounds so cute.

Raleigh, NC

we had an ENCIS meeting yesterday at Bob Pries home in Roxboro. Dee, Glenn Grigg is going in for this same surgery Tuesday. hope his goes as smoothly as yours. I mentioned you had just had your surgery. they must know you, for they were glad to hear you were doing well.

Dr. E and Ruth Barker were there, too, so it was mostly a discussion of Bob's project at lunch after they heard about Randall being a programmer. He and Rosemary had an extremely ill dog at the vet's, and the call came in just as we finished the luncheon for them to come be with her, things were going downhill. so we left without a program, but it was grand fun with the discussion as it was, that and seeing Bob's new garden and his hounds!

Do you suppose you'll be thinking of Ontario? will this newly reworked knee permit that, or better, make it possible?

Lebanon, OR

So you have an idea of the size I am used to working on.
This is an unfinished wallhanging that is about 20x20 finished
D

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

This is as far as I have gotten on this big quilt...

D

Lebanon, OR

so you can compare the size difference, once I get on the iris and not the foliage it will go faster much faster because they are much smaller pieces

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Dee! How lovely that will be when it's finished. Are you out of your mind yet with having to stay still?

Lebanon, OR

yup totally out of my mind not being able to go outside to the greenhouse to check things out...

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hang in there! Maybe you can send one of the kids out there with a cell phone or camera and take photos. Or maybe not. If anything was wrong you would really be going crazy.

Winnsboro, TX

Ok, I get the ideal how big those pieces are now. Wow it's coming along rather nicely. Is the white outline on the black material where you outlined the pattern and where the pieces are suppose to go??? I just love seeing it all come together. Please do keep posting pictures of it everyday or two so we watch it come to life.

Great Job!!!!! Keep up the good work.
Love Ya, Marian

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

D, glad you are doing so good. That quilt will be fantastic! Do take the time to post photos as you go. I have always been intrigued with patch work quilts, but my fingers won't let me work that kind of sewing anymore.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

D that is going to be beautiful. Also love the colors in the wall hanging so you need to finish it too along with sending someone to get photos in the greenhouse,. Even laid up the work is never done. If not the garden it is the indoor projects. LOL

Lebanon, OR

my problem with the wall hanging is I have not decided where to hang it and now am thinking of waiting until the quilt is done and on the bed then see if it will blend with that room and if so finish it off.

I also have another one that is all done except for hanging and one just need the backing.

I know I am crazy...

Now starting to work on the catalog? and the webpage.

D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.