Raining Again

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

How's your gardens holding up?

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

My garden is a swamp. I went out to get a sweet pepper for salad and water was over the toes of my shoes. Rain gauge had 2.03 inches at 9am when I emptied it and over 1 inch since then, probably 1.5 or so. The chickens are confined to the coop again today as the run is flooded. Got my 5th egg today, though.

I'm currently researching fruit that will grow with seasonal flooding.

It's feast or famine with the water situation here, isn't it?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

What type of fruit TripleG? Really would like to know

I moving most of my beds to a low tunnel setup where there are PVC hoops over them and I cab experiment with a variety of covers. Uncovered the beds this morning for about 30 minutes and then covered them up. Uncovered them again this afternoon. Good moisture but not saturated.

Becky:

I have several of inches between my beds. It's unreal. But it's cool that water will sit there and eventually be absorbed into the beds. A dysfunctional swale is what they are. LOL

Having an on farm sale on Saturday. You two should stop by.

BB

I got some answers from the atlantafruits yahoo group, BB.
There is of course elderberries - they arrived here in a swampy area after the tornado so back they went.
hazelnuts - I got a native one at the Trees Atlanta sale (will get more in the spring)
hawthorn and mayhaws were also suggested, but I think I would not use them - I am avoiding growing too many fruits that need processing that ripen while I spend most of my time in the veggie garden.
With just me doing this work, I have to be creative about timing, and use. If it's a fresh fruit we can both eat and process, that's OK but only processable? Well, perhaps not for me....
Someone mentioned blueberries but as far as I know, they don't like constant swampiness....

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Wait a minute? A year ago or so everyone was going for drought tolerant plants? Now everyone switches to swamp plants, kind of extreme don't you think?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.