Seeds

Hamilton, OH

Questions...

-I have the below listed plants in the garden this year and have collected the dried heads from all of them.. hoping from some interesting crosses. I am about to go through and pull the viable seed and was wondering...

-What plants will come true from seed?

-And if not, do they just revert back to the standard purpurea (if not crossed with something else)?

-Double Decker (pink poodle)
-White Swan
-Green Envy
-Coconut Lime
-Ruby Giant
-Tikki Torch
-Tomato Soup
-Mac n Cheese
-Harvest Moon
-Sunset
-Raspberry Tart
-Green Jewel
-Pica Bella

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Nevrmore... Sinc e they hybrids. They may or may not come true. Now you may get some that wil revert and some that wil come true and some that may be a brand new cultivar just dependign on what pollen got crosed with what.

There really no way that you wil be able to tell what you have until you grow them out. Hybridizers plant out hudnreds and hundreds of seeds to find a new cultivar in the mix. It work, btu excitign when you do find somethign that may be a new hybrid that cna be evaluated and grown on out for years to see how it does.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I would think the first two, Double Decker & White Swan, would be the only two that would come true to seed. Those are the only two in your list that are grown from seed.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Whit Swan comes true as long as you don't let the other plants cross with it. The others don't come true.

Doesn't "Double Decker" (but not Pink Poodle) come true to seed? Online retailers sell seed packs of Double Decker.

I've planted Double Decker before and the seeds don't always produce Double Decker plants even with seeds I bought.

I got my best Double Deckers by planting some Pink Poodle Echinaceas. I never got any like that from seeds.

Did you give the "Double Deckers" several years to see if the blooms developed into doubles? I recall reading that they usually take at least two years of blooming before some double decker blooms form.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

That just what I was goign to type. LOL Also Double decker had another name, but can't think of what it was off hand. It was calle d somethign else before Double decker.

You're exactly right Ella, now that you mention it. I don't recall what the name was either.

Jon

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Been sittign here thinking and coudl be wrong but think the other name was Doppelganger.

That's it...you're correct. The name of the flower really hasn't been changed. It's just been translated into English and given the name "Double Decker". I would guess this echinacea originated in Holland, because "doppel" translates to double in Dutch. A doppelganger in Dutch or German generally translates to anything that is "double". The word can also be used to describe "your double" in life or someone who is "walking in your footsteps". That sounds pretty creepy!!! LOL Booo

Jon - I had some for several years. They never looked like the pictures. I had one or two that had a few extra little petals in top, but I don't consider them a reliable seed variety like White Swan. That's why I wasn't too upset when 2 out of 3 of my Echinacea "Pink Poodles" looked like a Double Decker should look.

LOL. Yeah, I recall you saying you have some "Double Decker Pink Poodles". I have some Double Decker seeds, but had decided not to plant any of them when I heard it could take several years to get some doubles. I like "White Swan", but like "Primadonna White" even better. I have a couple of each that I grew from seed. My Primadonna White's" have larger blooms and they bloom over a longer period of time. One of the Primadonna White plants has started to bloom again this past week.

Hamilton, OH

So when they "don't come true" ... that would mean that they come in as standard purple purpurea?

They can be all over the place. I have some that came out a Salmon color. Here's a picture of one...

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

How do you cross pollen the flowers? or seeds

Here is another Echinacea that comes true from seeds. I started E. paradoxa from seeds in 2007 and it bloomed the first time this season. The blooms remain fresh on the plants for quite awhile.

Thumbnail by
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted three echinacea double decker this spring and one has bloomed double already. The other two bloomed, but not double.

That's cool. I guess the one "Double Decker" was in a hurry to show off.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Surprised me too because I bought them from KVB wholesale and was skeptical about how well they would do. They were scrawny root divisions, but to my surprise they did okay.

That's good to hear. I have a few Echies still putting out a few blooms although most have gone quiet for the next few months. You still getting blooms or are they sleeping now?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I have blooms lingering on Prairie Splendour, Doppledecker, and the orange Big Sky Series (can't remember the name---not crazy about it). I picked up the yellow Big Sky Series (Sunrise?) this fall for 2.98 on the sale rack in a big pot, put it into the ground and its blooming. That's about all I will pay for Big Sky because they are often distorted and mutated.

Sunrise sounds correct for the yellow one. The orange one you're referring to is probably "Tiki Torch"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.