To make *many* here feel better about the snow

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

some of us are currently getting (or about to receive)........I saw this posting, by a Texan, elsewhere:

Quoting:
Bring it on! It's HOT out there... too hot for October. I'm so ready for cooler weather. We've had a couple of teases with mild temps, but they were brief.

Kids in the north were out of school today, building snowmen. I got jealous and went outside... but all I could make was a humidity man.

It wasn't that much fun.

A great reminder to make lemonade out of the lemons (one is never too old).

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 10:02 PM

PPPppppttttthhhhhhT

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL oh Oscar I'm guessing you still have some lily bulbs etc., etc. to deal with?!? So do I but figure I might as well have some fun and am keeping my fingers crossed for a decent Indian Summer......or at least an Indian Weekend (please!!!).

Sending a snowball your way (look out)!!!

I gather even our spoiled members surrounded by water (ie Montreal) are busy hauling today cause something wicked their way comes.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BTW (and this truly may make some of us cheer) weather models are currently predicting a strong El Nino influence come December (its pretty weak right now). So if that kicks in be happy (prairie peeps) for any/every bit of moisture we received this fall. We will be warm (if they are right) but precip, in any form, will be scarce (hoping here for normal weather conditions by next spring).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No snow ( well a few flakes) but d=====m it is cold!

And I still have lily bulbs to plant!

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 4:34 PM

Just dug up my dahlias and acidanthera today. Going to be COLD tonight. Still have lilies and a few tulips and crocuses to plant, but have to cook turkey tomorrow. Still hoping for some balmy days.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I know where I am going to plant the lilies - I went out and marked all the spots one nice day - but I wish I had dug out the holes also - the ground is pretty hard now.
Weather report is saying -16 in the morning! Might even skip the morning dog walk.
One of the things I dislike most about winter here is all the clothes I have to put on to walk the dogs in the morning!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I sure hope it warms up. I haven't dug up my dahlias yet and I haven't put the tender roses to bed in the garden, which requires digging holes. I don't have a good feeling about this at all. Winter kind of snuck up on us, eh? Long range forecast for next weekend is warm though...hope it comes true.

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is rude. I am in bed hiding under the covers. Someone please wake me up when this over so I can dig my dahlias and plant lilies. Thanks muchly.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too Les! Just realized this morning I have one deep fountain I didnt drain and now it will be frozen solid along with the pump! Hope it survives. Supposed to warm up by Thursday maybe we can get out and dig. I wanted to add some mulch to my new hosta bed and I kicked the tubes of mulch this morning and I think it is too late - they feel pretty solid!

Calgary, Canada

This has never happened to me. I went out to dig my carrots and could not budge the fork into the frozen soil. I did dig dahlias while thinking of you Les!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good for you. I dug the carrots and potatoes last Sat and it was tough going. Hope it warms up soon.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

That warmness below us has *got* to move up!!!

C'mmon Calgary hurry up with your famous Chinook so we can get rid of that cold front (for at least a day or two)!!!

My hand is getting tired of carrying the bulb planter (ready to run out there at a moments notice).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

p.s. Dahlianut I'm still laughing over your hiding under the covers (sounds familiar).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

So who will be right????

Ye Old Farmer's Almanac says:
Canada's Frigid Forecast: 2010 Winter Weather

After a late start to summer, and a soggy one in many areas, the new, hot of the presses, 2010 Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is here, and within its pages is a prediction for an “Ice Cold Sandwich” winter.

Last year, the 2009 Canadian Farmers’ Almanac predicted an exceptionally long, cold winter for most regions. As promised, bitter cold and heavy snow punished much of the nation, coming on early in the season and lingering through the start of spring. When spring finally did arrive, it came bearing heavy rains, with twice the annual average falling in many regions.

2010 How Cold Will this Winter Be?
The latest edition of the Canadian Farmers’ Almanac warns that this winter’s frigid forecast offers no respite in sight, especially for provinces in the center of the country. “Colder than normal” and “bitterly cold and dry” is how the Canadian Farmers’ Almanac describes the winter in for provinces above the Great Lakes, the Plains, and the Canadian Rockies, while temperatures on the East and West Coasts will be more in line with average to normal winter conditions.

For residents of the East Coast, who bore most of the brunt of last winter’s fury, this may be good news, but the prediction of an “ice cold sandwich” is sure to send chills down the spines of those in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Snow Forecast
While parts of the country are expected to see near or below average precipitation this winter, significant snowfalls are forecast for parts of every zone. Residents of Eastern and Western coastal provinces can expect some a major snowfall in mid-February, with possible blizzard conditions in parts of Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
Shovelry is most certainly not dead.

El Nino to deliver forgiving Canadian winter: Expert
By Bradley Bouzane, Canwest News ServiceSeptember 1, 2009
Winter — still a couple of months away — is likely the furthest thing from most people's minds, but Canada's weather guru says the odds are in Canada's favour this year for those who hate to bundle up.

Despite the Farmer's Almanac calling for a harsh, frigid winter for much of the United States, Dave Phillips, a senior climatologist with Environment Canada, said another El Nino weather event will give Canadians a better chance to enjoy a milder 2009-10 winter.

"(The Farmer's Almanac) looks at moon phases and tea leaves and all that stuff; we put a little bit of science into it," Phillips said Wednesday. "We're not necessarily a lot more accurate than they are, but we think there are things you can look at to give you a clue of how the winter will be.

"Unlike the Farmer's Almanac — if they're calling for a more brutal, old fashioned winter — our models are suggesting it might not be that way."

El Nino is a warm Pacific Ocean current that occurs every three to five years. The current tends to disrupt typical weather patterns in North America.

There have been 17 El Nino "episodes" since 1950, with most of those years resulting in milder than normal conditions for many regions of Canada.

Although conditions vary from coast to coast, the warm Pacific air of El Nino tends to deliver more pleasant temperatures.

"When you look back over those (El Nino) winters, the vast majority of them, for many parts of Canada, were warmer than normal," Phillips said. "In Calgary, for example, in those 17 winters, 13 were warmer and just four were colder. There's no guarantee ever with weather, but I'd go to the bank with those odds."

As you head east, however, those odds decrease significantly.

In Ottawa, nine El Nino winters were warmer and eight were colder. Phillips said those coin-flip odds aren't worth betting the farm on.

One of the more significant El Nino years in Canada was in 1997-98, which recorded the fourth warmest Canadian winter in the last six decades. More recently, however, in 2006-07, El Nino brought Canada, on average, its third mildest winter over the same period.

Phillips said some regions may have to deal with other, more devastating weather events as a result of the same warm-air system, but for the most part, Canadians won't be complaining.

"Some areas get droughts, some gets floods, but in Canada, we tend to be the beneficiary (temperature wise)," said Phillips. "The dice are loaded to give you a warmer than normal winter when you have El Nino event occurring."

Phillips said El Nino "began in earnest in July" and will likely stick around until next spring, but added that, on average, Canadians often don't feel its effects until winter.

"I think the best money is not (put on) what the Farmer's Almanac says," Phillips said. "But it's not like there won't be jacket weather."

Meanwhile meteorologists in the States are starting to post their predictions and they do believe the El Nino will be strong this winter so that means a warm and dry winter for us in the prairies (Central Alberta really doesn't need that).

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.