Bloodgood Overwinter in Chicago

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've been keeping a young Bloodgood JM in its pot in a shady spot since July. With temperatures dropping, it's time to make a move. My plan is to bring the potted tree inside but I'm concerned about the transition. I've been successfully overwintering a mature 6ft ficus and a 3ft blood orange for 12 years now--should I treat the little JM to the same environment as these trees? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure how you treat the others - the bloodgood should just go in a undeated garage or shed - next year consider planted the bloodgood if that is an option

Danville, IN

Definitely do not overwinter a JM indoors. It will either leaf out mid-winter or die. Plant it in the ground now if possible, mulching it with a few inches of shredded bark after watering it in. They do very well in the Chicago area as well as throughout most of the Midwest. They can be kept small by careful pruning, and if left alone will get to 12' tall and more, with a spread of over 6'. Great trees.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you wha and Hoosier Green. I'm sure we'll have some temperate days ahead. Although there was snow in Northfield MN this morning. I will put the JM into the ground and mulch it well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.