Rudbeckia

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my favorite perennials.

We had a cold winter here and I lost some of the miniatures. I think I got them in the ground too late.

Are the new cultivars as hardy as the tried and true standards are?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There is a variety that grows like a weed here. I bought 3 new ones from Bluestone 2 died the remaining plant is really going to town,The veriety was Moriano really nice size blooms and color just great
Rudebeckia is in center of this collage

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 5:16 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oooh. Moriano - I hadn't heard of that one. That's very nice. I got a great deal on some yesterday, but it wasn't named. It looks a little bit like that.

The gal at the nursery mentioned that it was too bad that they were annuals . . .. not sure where she was coming from on that.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hope you bought Rudbeckias then.
Mine came from Bluestone

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I do believe they are Rudbeckias. I just don't think she knew much about them.

Here's the big one and another small one called Toto. m going to put them in somewhere that's a little drier. It's wet, freezing soil that seems to get things here.

Thumbnail by katie59
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Many perennials like well drained soil and Rude's can take clay soil so wet stuff is to be avoided. I like both of those plants. They look sturdy.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Actually there are several types of annual rudbeckias. Prairie Sun, Toto (one of my favorites for pots), Autumn Colors, Indian Summer, Cherokee Sunset, Chim Chiminee - these are off the top of my head. I'm almost positive these are sold as annuals, or at least as tender perennials.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised when several of them overwintered in my garden, and since I always let most of my plants go to seed, I had some nice reseeding and new plants in spring. Katie, since you are several zones warmer than I am, you may have some luck overwintering these also.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My challenge will definitely be to keep them dry. I have clay and it gets wet, so I'm trying to put them only in drying beds with good drainage. So far I've been fortunate.

Hopefully this year we won't have the odd snow we had last year and it won't be so hard on them. I'm going to put the little Toto I got (I figured I could try again for $2.99) up in a different part of the yard that drains better (my sunniest beds are next to the house at the bottom of the slope) and see how it does.

So I got sidetracked last night and didn't post the picture of my second purchase. I'll do that tonight when I get home. Can anyone id (DiggerDee?) the large one from my picture? Toto is the smaller one pictured.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Katie, I love that Orange one. Ge, Your Moriano is beautiful This Gloriosa Daisy has been in bloom for months.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I read an entire thread here of people who thought that Cherry Brandy is ugly. I just love mine.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous, Stormyla.

I like Cherry Brandy, as well. But then I tend more toward the warmer, richer colors in the sunny garden, I think.

I've decided that I tend to be partial to the first things that flower in late winter (Hellebores) and the last things that bloom in the summer (Tanacetum and Rudbeckia).

I think it reflects my attachment to summer.

Stormyla, have you not had a frost yet? We've been hit by a cold front from Canada (thank goodness there was no precipitation associated with it) in the last few days and our overnight temperatures in the foothills here have been below freezing. Unusual for October, which is usually a rainy month for us.

And this year they said we'd have a warmer winter. Time will tell . . .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Cherry Brandy too.
Whats the beef with it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Katie, No, not yet. I'm trying to get the rest of my Begonias, Coleus & Caladiums in today. It's supposed to go to 30F on Wed. night.

Katie, Don't you like Asters? Many of my Echinaceas, Salvias, and Galliardias are still blooming. Those Gloriosa Daisies aren't showing any signs of slowing down. There's also a couple of Iris, Lilies and Daylilies blooming. Lots of Asters, Mums, Baptisia, Geraniums, Agastaches, Anemones, Helianthus, Heliopsis and of course the Montauks too. Some of the Dianthus, Daphnes, Buddleias, Hydrangeas are reblooming also.

Here's an odd site, Oriental Lilies & Mums in October in Pa.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

GE, people were expecting it to be bright red, like in the marketing photos.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes my Moeino had a bluish center which I matched carefully with Campanula Sorastro I still like the combo even tho the blue centers never materialized. The russet petals go well with the camps.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ge, you do such a wonderful job of color and texture coordination in your gardens. My beds would give you nightmares. LOL

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not much for gold indoors (though I've recently rediscovered it as a warm wall color) - but I like gold with the rusty reds of the new Rudbeckias. I did a box of of red clover, yellow coreopsis, rudbeckia with a touch of red, a feverfew volunteer, and a red heuchera. It has turned out to one of my favorites - no muss, no fuss, doesn't need much water - and has lasted well.

Don't have a picture as I'm at work . . .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

stormy! It was Daves that changed my garden vision.
It will happen,hang in there.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You all hang in there with your Cherry Brandy, I had some seeds to them but life got into the way of planting them for this year but I had Rustic Colors and the first year for them didn't care for them at all and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but the second year for them were spectacular! I almost pulled them up last year lol Maybe the Cherry Brandy will be the same way :) I'll be watching the threads next year to see what everyone thinks of them on their second year.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ge, It's not my vision that is the problem, although it certainly is not as good as yours It's my gardening enviornment. My beds keep laughing at my plant choices. My one shade bed that is under Maples has killed just about every known shade plant. Now after, 4 years, it is transitioning to a fairly healthy sun plant bed. I still have a bunch of Hosta & Heuchera to pull out of there, before it kills them all.
My other hugh shade bed has Black Walnut & Alianthus and the god awful vole population. It has now become a patchwork of lone survivors. Both beds are extremely good for bulbs, except for the vole issue. Oh well, it will all workout. Thanks for the encouragement!

LeBug, I've seen that Rustic Colors, it is very nice. I think the folks who were discussing the Cherry Brandy were over in the Echie Forum.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That's what I get for reading too many threads lol

I was getting ready to move a couple of hosta then read to do it six weeks before frost, our frost date is the 15th of this month. I hope your plants make it alright until next year :) And the voles dont! I have that problem too! Making leaf bed just invites them and I make a lot of those.

Your Cherry Brandies are very pretty I hope mine look that nice the first year for them! I want to see what they look like for next year :)

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Katie, I did a bit of googling, and I found several photos that look like your rudbeckia that say they are Cherokee Sunset. My Cherokee Sunset are usually more full - more fully double - but I suppose like with any other double, there could be variations. I do see that yours are double, but they also look flatter than what I grow, and your center is much more visible. But anyway, try googling images for Cherokee Sunset and see what you think. Good luck! :)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No, LeBug. We are discussing Cherry Brandy here today, but the people who were calling it ugly devoted an entire thread to it in the Echie forum. I don't think I ever saw a more maligned plant. Poor baby!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, I would have responded that I didn't think it was Cherokee Sunset because the color seemed to uniform, but in the pictures on the Internet there seems to be quite a bit of variety, so maybe that is it. Excellent!!

Here's my other one (that I forgot to post last night).

Thumbnail by katie59
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks like there may be lots of variation with Cherokee Sunset . . .

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/7357.html

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW what great color

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are nice Katie I really like those I liked the other one too :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I got these for 4.99 (-10%) in gallon pots. I love the colors too, so autumn-like. I guess I'll just plant them and figure out what they are later. These guys look really great with feverfew, imo.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 11:17 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay . . . well . . . duh - I was planting these and found tags buried deep. Both have tags that say they are Cherokee Sunset - one is much larger than the other, so apparently there's a lot of variation with these. 2010 AAs Winner (I don't know what that really means).

Thanks for the help!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Huh, so it IS Cherokee Sunset, is it? Funny! Like you, I saw so much variation in the photos on-line that I wasn't sure. Well, I'm glad you have definitely identified them at least, lol! Good luck with them overwintering. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I think down there in zone 8 they should do fine!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I think I'm developing a little obsession with Rudbeckia. LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beauty

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

"...I think I'm developing a little obsession with Rudbeckia..."

It's awfully easy to do, lol! They ARE beautiful!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wait until you see coleus.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Coleus and I haven't even gotten along. And we grow huge slugs here, so that doesn't help. But I like it in other people's gardens . . .

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I love all of the different Rudbeckias and have been looking to add more. Last month I found a new one, but I have to look it up, forgot it's name. It was hard to find one that was hardy. Most of them are not. It will be a good winter project, trying to track some of them down.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a reliable seed supplier for Rudbeckia? I'd love to find some. I worked for a landscaper a long time ago and he had some of the most beautiful ones that came back/reseeded here in Zone 4/5 year after year. Dark centers with yellow orange tips and a variety from there.
Warren

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Katie, If you like the yellows and reds, you should grow Helenium. Perfect fall bloomers. They look great with purple asters. Do you have any?

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, even if a certain rudbeckia is not hardy, I've had success with reseeding. I let some go to seed and get several new plants the next spring, in addition to some that have (surprisingly) overwintered.

Do your helenium really bloom with your asters? Wow, that's great. My helenium are usually done blooming by aster time. I wonder if it depends on variety. I don't have a lot of experience with helenium - I only have one kind (Bright Buttons) so maybe if I grew another it might bloom later?

Warren, I've gotten rudbeckia seed from T&M, Johnny's, Pinetree, and ValueSeeds. Rudbeckia are one of the flowers that I seem compelled to try every kind I find, lol. That, and Chinese asters. I mean, really, do I really need 20 kinds of asters?.... um, yeah, I think I do! And a dozen rudbeckias, and ten kinds of cosmos....

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks DiggerDee...not so sure about the Asters since they reseed ungodly here but do make a very nice fall flower(think we may be talking different Asters though, lol). I love Rudbeckia because of it length of bloom but some just aren't hardy for me - in seed or plant form. We do have the wild Ruds here and my wife has them planted all thru the garden - reseed so prolifically I go thru every Spring and rip em out(within reason so I don't get in trouble.)
Thanks for the companies. I'll check them out.
Warren

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.