Illinois to South Dakota

smalltown, IL

I am planning to go to SD for a week and would like some ideas on what to see and places to go and eat???
I am going to drive through Iowa on the way and planning on taking I90 Home..
Thanks

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

If you're into weird but wonderful, check out the Corn Palace in Sioux City, Iowa. My daughter and I passed it several times while driving her back and forth to an Oregon college. Many jokes and speculation but didn't stop. Finally curiosity got the best of me and we detoured for a visit. It was quite interesting and enjoyable.

~Sharon

Sioux Falls, SD

When are you planning on coming through this area? We have a couple of inches of snow right now! Way early!
I am not aware of the Corn Palace in Sioux City, but the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD has been around for many years.
There are a variety of things around. Depends on your interests, and what this crazy weather does!

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting, suefalls! I had googled real quick for the location and got the wrong city. Sioux City is the home of the first corn palace to be built but it is long gone.

Mitchell, SD is the correct location!

~Sharon

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

A few years back on the Splendid Table on public radio, there was a spot on the regular segment by Jane and Michael Stern "Two for the road". They said the sour cream raisin pie was to die for (or some such) at Lange's Cafe in Pipestone, MN. That would be right along I-90 in the southwest corner of MN. Read about it here:
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/whereweeat/stern_langes.shtml

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

There's always the Spam museum in Austin, MN. That is right off I-90 on your way home. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.