Oldbies - Part 1

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's the one that seeds all over here, Mary. I'm sorry, but after having a nursery for so long, I tend to refer to the flowers by their Latin names. I think that's the same one as peach leaf. I'm going to have to try that Dickson's Gold again, though. I love that contrast between the gold leaves, and the blue flowers. Another one I love is glomerata.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Heuchera Lime Marmalade is lovely.

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/w/pages/plants/heuchera-lime-marmalade.php

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I love the Clustered Bellflower too. But the Peachleafs are my favorite and seem to do well no matter where I plant them.

Is the Lime Marmalade one of TNN's new ones? This is "Harvest Lemon Chiffon"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have spreading Camp. Blue Falls it wont quit here but we dont have sand either, maybe thats the problem.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Polly your C. Bells are still blooming? Mine quite a long time ago I have purple ones to plant for this year :) I had a gold campanula out in the middle bed for this year planted last year and the weeds took it over I was so looking forward to those!

I have a beautiful blue campanula that I don't know the name to out there that is still blooming, we have had a couple of hard frost too!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Camp.Urtisificola it is still going but justa few flowers

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 10:27 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's pretty, Ge. I put in a few of the ground cover types of Campanula this year, but haven't seen them bloom yet.

These lime Heuch's are "pistache".

Thumbnail by stormyla
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

My blue one is pretty close to that one except my flower petals are cut deeper :) Same size flowers though and foliage.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd love to get some Campanulas that would bloom this late. Your's is very nice GE, a different flower form.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, If you are looking for something taller in lime foliage, have you tried Filipendula Aurea? I put some in this spring and was quite pleased with both the foliage and the blooms.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76551/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a different one planted with Torches and Red Dutch lilies.
These were new this year and some didnt make it.
Its at the left
I need to correct the id here.
This is Sarastro

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 10:26 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Great Color, Ge. I don't have any Campanula that have those pendent type of bells. Mine are all out facing.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I also love the Gold foliage on this Dicentra "Gold Heart". The gals in the MidAtlantic from Maryland south all say their foliage disappears around July. Mine stays all summer. Probably in NY and north it would too.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think Lime Marmalade is a newer one. Harvest Lemon Chiffon is lovely! I like that filipendula too! I do have Gold Heart, and that does well for me.

Ha, Lea, yes mine is still blooming. That'll teach you to grow something for me!I can't believe it's gone through all these frosts and freezes and is still blooming. I roughed up the soil under it, so hopefully it will seed. It's considered a biennial, right?

Sarasto is pretty Jo Ann. I like those downfacing bells too.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, How about a gold Forsythia?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Those I have lots of. Although now i need a butterfly chair, LOL. What lovely neat gardens.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, That was the 1st week of April before anything emerged. They are not very neat now!! My poor Hummingbird bench has been torn apart in sections since August getting the overhaul for rust. DSO doesn't stay with the project and I hope it's back together before spring, because it is my favorite bulb viewing spot.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oops, sorry, hummingbird. My beds never look that neat.

Here's my garden in late spring, not a cottage type, but way too exuberant. I have a spirea in there that shows up nice, and I think some of the lime green plants would look nice, but I need to make room.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's really pretty, Polly. What is that wonderful gold leaved tree in the background?

Here's a large part of my big bed in early May.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

And here it is only 2 weeks later starting to take on it's "Jungle" look!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice everyone

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, Here's a gold Heucherella "Sunspot".

Thumbnail by stormyla
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jo Ann.

Mary, I don't think that's a gold leaved tree, I think that was just the afternoon light hitting it. That's our 1/2 mile roadway to our house, where that tree is. They are mainly oaks.

I still think yours looks nice and neat in the second poicture. That car planter is cute.

Here's a pic of the spring leaves on Aichi

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We cross posted. Sunspot is pretty. You have a lot of nice cultivars.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Polly. You'll have to save some of those for me. I plant a lot of gold and lime plants because some parts of my beds are too dark for much of anything to bloom, like down here at this corner.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Your landscapes are beautiful. You can see a bunch of love and hard work went into it. I have a lime green no name I purchased a year ago at Loews. I planted one in holding bed that gets partial sun and one in full sun. They both lived through the winter until July heat hit and the one in the sun bit the dust. I bought it just because of the color. I am always looking for unusual colors. I have a lime green Amaryllis but it is weird. I will send a photo of plant tomorrow. It has a very tiny blue flower. I could send you a start. I looked at it today and it appears to have many sections with many roots.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The gold and lime do show up well there. And I just love them with blues.

Thanks Sharon. i would love to see pictures from your garden. One of my good friends lived in Las Vegas, and she had a lot of trouble adapting to the gardening there, although not to the climate. She has since moved back due to personal reasons, but would love to be back in LV.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

It is a learning experience to garden in Las Vegas. It took me 10 years but now I am the Queen. Just ask me,. I will tell you. Now we are now rebuilding and getting plants ready for spring. It is not easy but give her my D mail and I will personally hold her hand. I have many plants that can be relocated.,,.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Polly & Skwinter. Golds and limes are great and I'm always on the lookout for more.

SKwinter, I've been following what you've been writing about your Hydroponics endeavor in the Iris forum. That is just too funny for words. LOL I remember how excited you were when given the first opportunity. I'd love to see a photo of a blue Amaryllis. I had no idea they came in blue.

Polly, Talk about golds and blues, did you see that planting in the photo contest of the blue sib iris and the gold lupine?? Gorgeous. And it is sooooo hard to grow Lupines here, Delphiniums too.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much for the offer. She would have loved that. She's moved back here though. Her husband passed away, and she moved back here. Since she has no family in LV and does here, I expect she will stay here. She had only been married a couple of years, and he died unexpectedly. She was in an abusive marriage for around 20 years, left, found a nice man, and then he died. Very sad.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, Mary, yes I did. That was one of Boojums photos, and she is the one that mainly did the pictures for my website. her pictures are wonderful. She and Pirl, also a fantastic photographer, were kind enough to give me pictures for the website. How lucky was that?

I love the picture of the lupine and the sibs. Pirl sent me a lupine last year, and it grew and bloomed. My first one that ever survived. Thanks, Pirl!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, that is wonderful!! Your website looks great. Thanks to Pirl and Boojums! That photo of hers took my breath away. So did the one of the lupines growing at the beach. What I loved about Boojum's photo was the powerful statement made by the lone lupine. An artiste at work there!

I'm really surprised to hear that you've had difficulty growing Lupines. Everyone of my friends that lives even an hour west or north thinks I'm crazy not to be able to grow Lupines. Believe me, I try every year. I have a soul survivor and it didn't bloom this year.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It is wonderful. I'm blessed to have such great friends.

I've never had luck with lupines or delphs. Here again, I think it's our sandy soil. Just not heavy enough.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Is there sand there because of the lake or the change in the seaway when the glaciers left?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice pix everyone

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I said the Amaryllis was lime green not blue. I thought it would be different and very cool but it is not. When it blooms in the spring I will take photo. From my observation, there is nothing that Pirl is bad at. Just a lovely lady with knowledge and the warm spirit to share.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

From my understanding it has to do with the glaciers. We have quite a few drumlins in the area, and I guess those are unique.

Sharon, I'm confused, you said the amaryllis was lime green with a tiny blue flower? Is it a lime green flower? I do have one that has a lime green flower. It should be blooming in the house around Christmas and I will have to remember to take a picture. How many different amaryllis do you have? We can only grow them as houseplants here.

Thanks, Jo Ann.

Madison, MS

Hi

Stormyla, the gold and lime green just makes your flower bed pop, beautiful. I'm jealous.

cedarcottage.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

OK, JoAnn, I guess I had better pay attention to what I am typing. The lime green with the little blue flower is a no name plant I got at Loews. The lime green Amaryllis has a lime green flower. They grow outside here and bloom in the spring. I have Pink, Pink & White and then of course Red. I have three vibrant Orange Amaryllis I got as a gift from Jackson & Perkins. This is the second season in the ground and they have not bloomed. But they were beautiful when they bloomed in the house. I will hold my breath for luck in the spring.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Cedarcottage & Ge, Thank you. Cedar, please don't be jealous. That's one of my most difficult areas as it is vole infested. I just realized that they have eaten all of my siberian iris and hardy cyclamen in there. The voles constantly eat the silver ferns that I plant there too.The flat part of the ground there is damp and the small hill is bone dry. Lots of trial and error needed over there.
I try to keep a fair amount of gold, lime, silver, red and purple foliage there as the deep shade prohibits bloom. Aruncus, Trollius, Ligularia, Columbine, Dicentra, Corydalis, Heuchera, Hosta and Sib Iris will bloom there as well as variegated Soloman's Seal. Actually, the Oriental Lilies do well there too. It's been very difficult to establish shrubs there too, because of the voles. Even Hydrangea don't like it there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.